tdee calculator

I am a keto'er and I am wanting to use the Tdee method...Does it matter which calculator I use or do I need to use one that says keto? Thanks

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    The primary difference between the "keto" ones and the "regular" ones is in the macro breakdown. Keto ones will default to high fat and low carb, while regular ones will default to high carb and low fat (and probably on the low side of protein). You can do the "regular" ones, just remember to tweak the macronutrient ratios.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,915 Member
    Thanks Dragon...okay my BMR is 1766 and my TDEE is 2224 I will be working out 4 days a week for 45 minutes and work my way up...question do I eat to the Tdee number and enter 1 under exercise?
  • Dragonwolf
    If (and only if) you accounted for those workouts in your calculation by setting an activity level to at least "light" (and depending on what that 45 minutes consists of, you might do best using the "moderate" activity level).

If you choose not to include the workouts in the calculation, then you need to put in realistic burn numbers for exercise, otherwise you risk drastically undereating for your needs.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,915 Member
    I put it at light since I homeschool my daughter ...the only exercise I will be doing is a workout dvd which I incorporated in the Tdee....We walk our 3 dogs but I didn't include that because its a must thing
  • Dragonwolf
    We walk our 3 dogs but I didn't include that because its a must thing

By that logic, your basal metabolic rate doesn't count, because it's a must thing.

Whether it's optional or not, things like walking your dog are part of your total daily energy expenditure. It counts.

And unless your homeschooling consists entirely of you two sitting down, there's probably more activity level there than you think. Take a good look at it and see if it's really as inactive as you think.