TDEE-20 for Big and Tall guys?

Options
joshdann
joshdann Posts: 618 Member
Of course when I didnt care about what I ate, it was incredibly easy to go over my TDEE. That's why I'm in this predicament :). Now that I'm trying to log everything end keep food intake in the right proportion to calorie expenditure... I'm finding it difficult to eat the right things and still get to the magical TDEE-20%. I end up being well below that unless I take in extra sugar and fat. I currently try to stack protein as much as possible, then I look to add in fiber and avoid empty carbs like sugar. I'm trying to keep my fat intake under 40g per day, but I'd really like to be under 20g per day. I just don't know that I can do all of that and still hit TDEE-20. The real problem seems to be that my BMR (basal metabolic rate) is high enough at my size that healthy foods that fill me up just don't contain enough calories. To top it off, the days I *do* hit TDEE-20 I either don't lose any weight or I go up a little bit.

Here's a typical scenario for me, which I'm sure is similar to what most of you experience: On a gym day, I try to hit 10k steps via my fitbit device, and I lift moderately to heavily. By all estimates, my TDEE for a gym day is about 4000kcal, give or take about 200. I take in a ton of protein, I eat till I'm satisfied (not stuffed) and I eat 4-5 times per day... but I only take in about 2kcal. I *should* be around 3200 based on TDEE-20. Even on a non-gym day my TDEE is over 3k (today was 3200), yet I still only took in 2000kcal, and that is because I took in some empty calorie crap I shouldn't have.

So, I ask my big bretheren: what do you do? Have you had any success with TDEE-20? Given our size and the suspicion I have of all "standard" calculations and their application to the fringe elements like us... should we maybe be shooting for TDEE-50, or something in between? Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Replies

• CapnDonkey
    CapnDonkey Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Here's my typical day: Heavy lifting workout, protein shake for breakfast, salad and a protein for lunch, and then a balanced dinner. My TDEE - 20% is usually about 3000 calories. (6'2', 305lbs, 36 years old) and I usually don't crack 1600 calories for the day. Once a week I drink with friends. Still don't approach 3000 calories even on those days. I have lost almost 70 lbs. Went from 371 on 1/1/13 to 305 currently. I started logging here when I was 350. I have been the same weight for a month now. Serious plateau. Starting this week, I switched up my workout routine and added 30 minutes of cardio and extra core work. Hopefully this busts me through my plateau. However, even though the scale hasn't moved, I have taken inches off my waist and thighs, and my chest and arms are bigger. I look more "swole". I went from almost size 50 pants to loose 44's after not losing any waist size the first 5 months. Just keep eating healthy and working out. The weight will come off. Believe me, I know the struggle.
  • joshdann
    Options
    thanks for the reply. it's good to know that someone of similar stature is having that kind of success without taking in more calories than it feels right to (trying to match that TDEE-20% mark). I'm down 15 lbs in the last 3 weeks, 10 since I started logging here. It's a fast pace which I know will slow down soon... I just wanted to be sure I was doing the most I can. I have a short-term goal of looking better in a tux the first week of Nov, and a long-term goal of being down to 215 (6'6" and 305 currently) by the time I hit 35 in just over 14 months. i'm also starting to see gains in muscle, however slight. clothes are fitting better, too. Not *incredibly* better, but more than they should at only 15 lbs lost... so I know I've added at least a little bit of muscle. I think my waist has dropped nearly an inch, as I've had to take my belt in another notch from normal. so, primary goal is drop fat. secondary is build muscle. I'm going to stop worrying so much about TDEE for now and just eat well when my body tells me I'm hungry, and log it for later calculation :)
  • CapnDonkey
    CapnDonkey Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It's all about making better choices every day. Instead of fast food, I make my lunches at work. Instead of picking something up from the store/heating up a frozen pizza, I prepare and cook dinners. I got lucky and found a hearty protein shake I like, and don't mind eating every morning for breakfast. I go home and use my treadmill instead of stopping by the bar for happy hour. And when I do stop by the bar for happy hour (gotta have a social life, otherwise what's the point?) I drink a glass of whiskey on the rocks, and sip a glass of water in between. Still get to do the things I enjoy, just do them smarter.
    It truly is a lifestyle change. And I don't know if 25 year old me would have been willing to live this less crazy lifestyle, so I don't mind getting into it at the ripe old age of 36.
  • baird3605
    baird3605 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll have to look into this TDEE stuff. I've seen it all over the place on the forums. I know when I first started MFP a 1 1/2 years ago, it told me to eat 2400 calories, but after talking to my doctor, he told me to do 1500 cal/day.... and we compromised at 1800 cal/day. So far I don't feel stuffed or starved, and have been trying to make better decisions all around.

My question is... I work in a sedetary job (sit at a desk for 8 hours) but was looking into protein bars for a snack in between lunch and dinner. I have found some from Costco that is under 200 calories. I was wondering if these are a good idea, or will it actually hurt me since I'm not working out much yet?
  • joshdann
    Options
    I'm certainly no expert, but I'm a geek and I read a ton of info about whatever subject I'm into at the moment... right now it's weightloss/fitness :). I also have a sedentary job, but I've started making little changes like walking the long way to the breakroom to fill up my water bottle, eating my lunch away from my desk, even if it means just going to the other side of the building, taking the stairs whenever possible, etc. I'm also working out quite a bit, but even without that I would be burning a lot more calories just by walking around more.

Through all my "internet research" I've come to the conclusion that as much as 90% of the "experts" out there really aren't. The way our bodies really work is still a mystery for the most part. There are plenty of scientific studies that have come up with good info, but foe each of them there are 100x as many theories that either have no founding or are based off of limited personal experience. As with so many things, people will restate things as fact because they like the idea, or (they think) it has worked for them. As bad as that situation is for the "normal" world, it seems to be much worse for us big-n-tall types. Even the best advice based on the best info gets boiled down to a marketable package that works for the average person, but likely not for us, at least not as efficiently. I'm not saying I have the answers, because I don't... but the one concept that pretty much everyone agrees on is that more activity = better health. That seems like a no-brainer, but IMO it should be the thing we all focus on most. Move around more, walk more, jog if you can, do stuff, don't take shortcuts, and just keep at it. Nutrition-wise, I don't think anyone has a real plan for big-n-tall dudes. I think we just need to use the obvious high-protein, low-fat, and lower-carb structure and experiment till we find what really works for us. I personally like logging my food because it keeps me honest and helps me avoid a ton of fat or sodium from things that I didn't realize were giving me that. I have no idea what my actual calorie intake should be... so for now at least, I'm just letting my body tell me what to do. If I'm hungry, I eat (good stuff) and only until I don't feel hungry anymore. I do my best to resist cravings, and the longer I stay with this plan the easier it's getting to resist even more of the cravings. I haven't had a Dr. Pepper in a couple weeks, and I used to drink 4-5 of them per day :)

As for your snack question, I think it's pretty safe to say that if you're hungry at those times it's a good thing to eat. If you're not hungry, I personally don't think you should eat it. I could be way off on all these ideas, but I consider myself a fairly intelligent person and I think I'm pretty close. I'm also not so arrogant that I have to be right every time... so I might change my mind and try something different in 2 weeks :).

TL;DR: most of the crap you can find on the internet isn't worth the virtual paper it's printed on. They all contradict each other in so many ways it's ridiculous... but the common thread they do agree on is that we should make every effort to be as active as possible, avoid fats, sugars, and sodium for the most part and eat a lot of protein and fiber. Veggies are good. smaller, more frequent meals are good. Just don't eat more than you need and you should make progress. *in my opinion*, for whatever that is worth.