Salt in my coffee

Options
Fit2_T
Fit2_T Posts: 317 Member
I have been trying to find a new coffee creamer to help cut carbs and calories. I tried HWC among others, but it didn’t taste “right”. So today I tried Nut pods French Vanilla creamer with a dash of cinnamon and monk fruit. Still no go. Drinkable but not that enjoyable. Then for some reason I added Himalayan pink salt and boom, my coffee tasted wonderful. I am shocked. The only reason I tried the salt is because there was no way I was pouring it down the sink with the expensive (to me) ingredients in it and I need to add salt to my diet. What just happened? Does anyone else add salt to their coffee?

Replies

• cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I do... Most regular creamer has salt, artificial tastes weird cuz it's just sweet... The same goes for sugar without salt but it's not as bad as artificial sweetener.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I grew up hearing about a dash of salt in the coffee grounds before brewing drip coffee. Another one is using cleaned and lightly crushed fresh eggshells in the grounds to take the acidity out of coffee, especially if it's cheap beans or a strong brew.

Of course that won't work if you use one of those pod machines.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Always. I started years ago because of coffee's diuretic effect, and kept doing it for the flavour enhancement.
  • Everyonelies
    Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I didn't do it, but I thought about it during my fast last week..."what if...?"...maybe I will try it this week, get my caffeine and electrolytes in all at once...:)
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i tried today cause of reading here...

what can i say? just a small pinch of salt enhanced flavour incredibly!
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I put 1/4 teaspoon of salt in my hot tea and coffee.
  • domesticlou
    domesticlou Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yup, much to the bafflement of my colleagues. It works particularly well in smoothing out really bitter coffee.
  • scon13
    scon13 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Trying this today. I’ve been needing more salt and I didn’t even think to add it to coffee!
  • jemillen
    jemillen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just heard a few weeks ago that adding a bit of salt to coffee removes the bitterness of the brew. I tried it and it works wonderfully! I also add some MCT oil and a teaspoon of Swerve and it fulfills my need for sweetened creamer.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have pink himalayan salt in a grinder and add a few turns to my coffee grounds. I buy pretty high quality coffee, so it isn't bitter, but I feel like the salt helps bring out the flavor even more, and a bonus that I get a jump start on my sodium needs for the day.
  • THachAb
    THachAb Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I know we’re talking salt here but an additional way to elevate your coffee to the next level is to add a dash of cinnamon in the grounds. Amazing!
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Anyone try to add salt to black tea? Been having black tea with HWC and wondered if salt would taste good. Guess I will try it tomorrow, unless i hear a big negative from here first.
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Not sure why I am surprised, but salt in black tea us also really good. I just use hwc, so it cuts that bitter aftertaste down to nothing. Thanks keto people.