Active in April

Options

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Hi Magic, would you be able to bring a dish you can enjoy to the baby shower? I have found a lot of times when I take a dish to something it doesn't get eaten up because everyone is eating the "fun" food, but a big bowl of fresh fruit always goes over well. It is still a struggle for me, even though I honestly enjoy my healthful food more, it's so easy to grab junky vegan food these days. I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling so healthy and happy! I'm not an accountant, but work in a law office and we have a lot of tax matters to address and coordinate with our CPA on our cases. It never really gets better from the standpoint of being busy, but we are looking at hiring someone soon. I sure hope we do.

I got Dr. Ornish's preventing heart disease book on kindle yesterday. I have only got through a couple chapters so far but I like it. He has a newer book that I may check out after this one. I think I'm just looking to immerse myself in the whys and hows right now because I am struggling to stay on track. However, I just hired a friend to prep my salad veggies for me every week. She will shop/clean/chop and I'll be all set for the week. I think this is going to be a huge help, and probably save me money in the long run since no more buying groceries then letting them rot.

Bottom line is, I still need to take off about 30 pounds and cope with stress better, and I have to make things happen to help me get there. I am pretty much resigned that I can't possibly do it all myself, at least until my work life gets less overwhelming, and good intentions don't seem to be working too well!
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    The bringing something to this shower will not work...I will go into later.

But I am so excited for you that you are enlisting help to get you on track. I think that is so key...knowing you cannot do it all yourself and asking for help. Good for you. Please let us know how that works. Wow, I am so impressed that you decided to go this route.

I work Friday - Monday. Today is only 8 hours. I brought:

Two 16 ounce Joe's Mean Green Juice
    baked potato eaten cold, chopped with pico de gallo
    The Whole Food Cooking Show mock tuna salad
    oh and breakfast: oatmeal with the usual flax, banana, berries, soy milk

Tonight when I get home:

A BIG SALAD
    Dessert: frozen banana, unsweetened cocoa, soy milk in the vitmix

Have a great day. I stopped at the post office and sent the government all my savings. So glad I socked a bunch away...taxes went way up this year. Sheesh!

Later, kids.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

My blood sugar results came back too high, so I have to buckle down and not only eat completely on point, but I also have to start exercising. Apparently gardening and playing with Ruby are just not enough. I bought myself a glucose monitor so that I have to face the facts. Just knowing I have to take and record the number is enough to make me do better.

Magic, I am very lucky that my husband is also WFPB, or at least we both try to be. No one else that we know eats this way, and my dad and brother are 4th and 5th generation meat cutters / deli owners so there isn't a ton of support there! I love this group! I love hearing that you are feeling such a difference with eating this way!

I am going to look up Atomic Habits right now. Sounds interesting. The other thing I was thinking about doing was a FLY lady system of daily, weekly and monthly chores. She puts everything on index cards and then files them in a container, moving them as they are complete to the back of the rotation.

The Penne Florentine looks good! I love a dish that you can pop in the oven and then have leftovers to heat up. Thanks for the recipe, Austin!

Breakfast/Lunch: 1 cup coffee, black. smoothie with 1 cup almond milk, 1 cup frozen blueberries, 1 cup packed spinach, 1 Tbsp flax seeds, 1 Tbsp Amla

Dinner: taco salad w/ guacamole, salsa, greens, soy crumbles, & a Greek salad minus the feta.

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Hey @magic71755 - How great that you are seeing such wonderful results!

If you have weight to lose, Dr. Fuhrman's guidelines are well worth trying. I have lost a *lot* of weight in the last 15 months, much of it on Dr. F's aggressive weight loss plan. Just making sure that I eat two pounds of vegetables a day (1 lb raw, 1 lb cooked) made a huge difference.

Dr. Fuhrman is not totally against juicing (see this video). I make a vegetable juice for myself once or twice a week, including cruciferous veggies. I have a green smoothie more often.

As far as lonely -- I get that. I am very glad to be in this group as well.

Hugs back at you!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Carla, sorry to hear your blood sugar is still running high. The monitor sounds like a good idea. I remember trying some of the fly lady ideas some years ago. I should revisit because my house is a disaster right now!

Magic, sounds like a good ETL kind of day. As Austin said, if you still have some weight to lose you might just need to tighten things up and reduce the starches to no more than 1 cup per day for a while. Starches are my biggest temptation and the easiest for me to overeat.

• AustinRuadhain
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @Mihani - How great that you have hired a friend to help with food prep! It sounds like a great way to move things in the right direction for you!
    I, too, have found it helpful to immerse myself in books/articles/videos on why I am eating this way, as well as habit building for the "how." It helps surround me with the conversation I want, even if many people around me are not doing this, as does this group conversation!
    On the topic of stress, do you do any meditation? I took on at least some meditation every day. I have started doing a little while lying down in the morning when I wake up and in the evening, before I fall asleep. Even 5 minutes helps me, and I can do it in my office chair (maybe check out this or this?). Anyway, know that we are wishing you relief from stress!

@Carla_wfpb - I am SO sorry to hear your blood sugar is running high. The glucose monitor sounds smart -- immediate feedback on how you are doing, and when you need to take action.

For what it's worth, I also am weighing and logging my food, as portion control does seem to matter for me and recording what I eat and watching patterns has been super helpful. For example, that log helped me figure out that bananas don't work for me (too high a glycemic index? just 3 helpings of 1-2 ounces in a week slowed down my weight loss by about half; I tried this a couple of times to confirm).

I, too, have found FlyLady helpful! If index cards work for you, great! If you'd like an online way to track things, Habitica works for me. I also use it to check off my G-BOMBS and other ETL (DR F Aggressive Weight Loss plan) food choices each day. I also have some FlyLady-related Daily and Weekly items.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Okay, I'm officially happy with this decision!!! I have more than enough for huge dinner salads all week long and all I have to do is put things in a bowl, add some beans, my pickled onions, and dressing or balsamic.

B - half a bottle of green juice (they were on sale and thought I'd give them a try... no junky stuff added)
    L - leftover lentil stew (forgot to eat a fruit after)
    D - big ol' salad, slice of sprouted grain bread, berries and grapes with chia seeds

Austin, I tried your idea of throwing a couple mushrooms in the microwave with water and they steamed up nicely, added them to my salad. Such an easy way to get in the 'shrooms! I do try to get some yoga and meditation in here and there, but I don't keep up the practice like I should. It is very helpful though. I should get back to doing it at least 10 or 15 minutes every night before bed.

• magic71755
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Oooooh...Thanks Austin for the tip.
    I am looking at the Agressive Weight Loss Plan...this is my menu for today...may revise. But posting before I had looked at the plan. In the recipe from The Happy Pear, they use oil...I will omit...definitely cooking and preparing SOS.
    Mihani, your menu looks great...that is pretty strict...I will try...but yowzers! Carla, the taco salad looks wonderful...think I will give it a try once I see how to fit it into my plan. Back later. THIS IS MY WEEKEND!

On The Menu: (Made before
    Tuesday, April 16, 2019
    Oatmeal with frozen berries, banana, flax meal, homemade organic almond milk
    Fresh pineapple
    Big salad: TJs herb salad with chopped romaine, cannellini beans, cherry toms, celery, cukes, red onions, carrots, bell peppers, and orange tahini dressing
    Cuties
    One pot creamy mushroom pasta courtesy The Happy Pear (Recipes for Happiness)
    Fresh Pineapple and Blueberries
  • PaulaPalooza
    PaulaPalooza Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Oooh! I just joined the group and love this food diary style thread!!! I sort of intermittent fast, I suppose... not intentionally, it's just that if I eat my first meal a little later in the day, I find myself muuuuucccchhhh more satisfied. I'm an evening eater- so I'd rather feel good and full just before bed and be a tiny bit hungry in the morning while I drink water/coffee and get *kitten* done. Breakfast is around 11 am (work for home most days- so it's certainly a luxury I'm grateful for), Lunch around 4/5 pm, dinner around 8:30 pm.

Yesterday was:
    B: Chocolate protein pancakes topped with PB Fit and homemade granola (oil free!)
    Snack: Cutie, half cup pineapple, half cup grapes
    L: half a Sweet Earth veggie lovers pizza with half a tofurkey italian sausage sliced up on top. Plus a load of roasted broccoli with nutritional yeast and lemon pepper on it
    D: Chocolate protein shake
    More Snacks: 3 rice cakes, 2 tbsp dessert hummus, 2 pieces of Seitan bacon
    Training: 45 minutes of strength training, 2 hours recreational sand volleyball

Today:
    B: Chocolate pancakes again (I eat them almost every day. They're just so damn good-- plus they have blueberries and bananas in them! Happy to share the recipe if anybody wants in on that!)
    L: Probably a tofu scramble with seitan bacon, a little cashew cheese sauce, about 3 cups of spinach sauteed in, and a slice of sprouted bread.
    Snack: going out with some friends and will have a delicious cocktail
    D: Likely a protein shake again... Will roast up some veggies, too. Probably pineapple and grapes, as well.
    Training: planning to do about 45 minutes of strength training and 15 mins running intervals. Although I need to mow the lawn so it may just end up that mowing is my training for today-- depending on how much work I can get done and how much time I have!
  • PaulaPalooza
    PaulaPalooza Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    LOL. Didn't realize putting a D with a : would give a frownie emoji. LOL! I just meant to do like D- for dinner. HA!
  • magic71755
    Options
    Welcome Paula! This is a very friendly, caring group with lots of tips and suggestions. I am pretty new...each week I get more and more into the Eat To Live (Nutritarian) lifestyle.

I started with juicing thanks to Joe Cross and Fat Sick and Nearly dead...never really juiced fasted...did juice a lot however. And gradually moved into juicing combined with WFPB eating.

Hope you have a happy, healthy eating day!
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Hello, all!

I made Bean Flautas and a Salad with spiralized cucumber, diced red cabbage and chopped fresh mango for dinner last night, and it was well received by my family! I worked from this Engine 2 recipe. Changes I made: replaced nectarines (out of season) with mangos; replaced kale with romaine (my guys don't love kale); no Meyer lemons in store so skipped that; used half balsamic and half white vinegar in the dressing, and added some Mrs. Dash garlic and herb mixture to the dressing.

Today is being a good ETL day:
    B - Blended Green Drink (spinach, blueberry, flax seed, cold brew coffee)
    L - steamed spinach (1 lb), pickled and spiced raw onion, nutritional yeast, navy beans, steamed mushrooms
    S - walnuts (10 g; just a few halves), blackberries (small handful)
    D (planned) - huge salad with massaged kale and homemade no-oil dressing
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi Paula, welcome to the group! Your pancakes sound good, please do share the recipe. Wow, you really get a lot of exercise. Sounds like you're in the maintenance stage of Dr. F's plan?

Magic, how do you make your orange tahini dressing? I make a lemon tahini dressing that Carla had shared a while back and it is soooo good. I think I'll make some tonight as I'm getting a little tired of plain balsamic.

Great day Austin, as usual! Do you have a spiralizer? I have been thinking about getting one, but I have so many gadgets I don't use already, and I thought if I get one I have to get rid of something else. I still have my salad shooter that I bought 30 years ago. It still works, but I had forgotten about it lol. I did use it a lot back when.

A good ETL day so far, and plan to finish it out strong!

B - remaining half of the green juice... I wouldn't say I love the stuff, but I have one more bottle so I'll drink that one too and doubt I will buy more unless I feel like punishing my taste buds
    L - leftover lentil stew, about a cup of raw cauliflower, a clementine
    D - Big ol' salad (red and green leaf lettuce, broccoli, radish, carrot, red pepper, grape tomatoes, chickpeas, lemon tahini dressing, a couple nuked 'shrooms)

I have really upped my intake of beans the past couple days and it sure helps with feeling satisfied and keeping the snack monster sleeping.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Oh, and I'll get some berries and chia seeds in after dinner... maybe a small serve green smoothie.
  • magic71755
    Options
    https://plantbasedcookingshow.com/2018/08/13/orange-tahini-dressing/

Ingredients (serves four)
    1 orange, peeled
    1 Tbsp tahini
    1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp dijon or stoneground mustard
    1/4 cup raisins
    1/3 cup water
    Instructions
    Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth
    Note: It will thicken as it sits for a few minutes
  • magic71755
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Prepped a lot of veggies...having a huge one for dinner. Did not make my planned dinner.
    Lunch I had quinoa/brown rice pasta (Trader Joe's) with broccoli and this cheese sauce (faux) from Well Your World.

So the baby shower is tomorrow. It is for my sister...the mother of my niece who is having the baby (niece and her dh live in Houston).

My sister's girlfriends (she is very social...has tons of friends and is retired)...are making her a Grandma shower. I kinda thought...hmmm, at first. But my sister is so excited about this baby and (just me and my sister...one child, my niece)...so this is a pretty big deal. And, I guess it is not that common, but there are really grandma showers. It's really about making sure the grandparents home is prepared for the baby...especially since they live here in the Arizona and the mommy and daddy and new baby live in Houston. I actually got the grandma and grandpa a gift...personalized bud vases with what they want to be called Nonnie and Papa and the baby's name and 2019. I like my gift...I would love to be receiving it...it's beautiful.

Anyway, I am not really familiar with these ladies who are making the shower. And I am not comfortable bringing anything. I am just hoping that there will be fresh fruit and/or salad. I don't like drawing attention to myself because of the way I eat when it a social setting. It's making my tummy hurt. LOL.

I will be happy being back in my home tomorrow night eating MY FOOD.

Btw, Jason Wyrick is a Vegan Chef. And he just opened up a Vegan Restaurant near me...this last January. I am going to check it out. It will be my go to place for special occasions.

Ok then, off to hang with Lulu...and eat my salad. Have a great night everyone.
  • AustinRuadhain
    Options
    Hi @Mihani - I have a little handheld spiralizer that someone gave me. I have never used it a lot, but got it back out recently, to help with salads. I am also not a huge fan of kitchen gadgets, but it really does work well.

@magic71755 - Thank you for sharing the recipe for Orange Tahini Dressing! It looks delish!I will try that soon. Maybe tonight.
    Hang in there at the grandma shower! Your gift sounds lovely.

• magic71755
    Options
    Thank you Austin for those kind words. I, also, have a spiralizer...need to get it out. I did great with such a big salad yesterday. And the scale went down today. Yes!

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Oatmeal with frozen organic wild blueberries (Trader Joes), banana, flax meal, homemade organic almond milk

Lunch out…menu unknown

Big salad: TJs herb salad with chopped romaine, celery, red and green bell peppers, scallions, cukes, cauliflower, broccoli, beets and orange tahini dressing

If dessert is needed frozen banana with unsweetened cocoa and almond milk...made into ice cream

Have a great day everyone.
  • magic71755
    Options
    Lord give me strength to get through this.

Besides the food I have an Overly Critical sister, bless her ❤️ ! She’s still at it at 74! 🤪

Just be nice... I hear my mom saying. Agreeable! Be completely agreeable!
  • AustinRuadhain
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Hey @magic71755 - You will get through this! Just let it all flow past you...

And a huge hurray to your news about the scale going down!