Living the Lifestyle (LTL) - Wednesday, 4/3/19

Options
minimyzeme
minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for April are below:

Monday - imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday- jimb376mfp (Jim)

Today's Topic: Your first NSV...

Remember way back when...you started your weight loss program, eager to see the numbers on the scale decrease over time. But then...you got a boost from something that maybe you didn't expect and certainly couldn't be measured on the scale. You may or may not have known the term "Non-Scale Victory" (NSV), but it was then that you realized there were benefits to weight loss beyond the scale.

Think back to your very first NSV. What was it? When was it? Was it really unexpected? How did it make you feel? Was it a motivator to continue? Are NSVs still a motivator to continue? Add anything else you care to in your discussion.

Replies

• cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,848 Member
    Options
    it was a pair of jeans that i could finally button closed
  • minimyzeme
    Options
    My first NSV was within a week after joining WW in 2014. I was working on a project to pull invasive plant species from a pond at a nearby Audubon property. There was a group of a half-dozen or so of us. The work required us to wear neoprene chest waders because we were in water nearly as high as the waders.

My waders (borrowed) were too freakin' tight--I think you know what I'm talking about. Body-hugging over my body--and I really didn't want it to be hugged. But once I got them over my clothes and stood up, I realized I felt different about myself. That scenario would normally have made me so uncomfortably self-conscious and ashamed--for lack of a better term.

I was absolutely stunned to find I was not mortified. There was a feeling of self-acceptance I hadn't felt in a long time--if ever. It was weird because I'd barely lost any weight at that point. The boost in self-confidence was from finally having a plan and structure that would allow me to transform into a smaller body (aka lose weight).

The whole experience surprised me! I remember taking note of it. Truth be told, it almost brought me to tears because it was the first time I realized just how deep and significant my self-loathing had become. But now--I had a way out. I realized self-acceptance and self-confidence were already improving just because I had a plan and was following it. It didn't matter that it was for less than a week. It mattered because it meant more to me at that time than the number on the scale.

That NSV and every one that's come since have been stronger motivators to continue this lifestyle than any of the scale victories. I cherish and embrace each one. I feel they're better indicators of "success" than the scale for me because they're more stable indicators than the fickle scale can be.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,941 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I really remember the first NSV, but there were a few early-ish ones.

One early one was realizing that my watch was no longer tight on my wrist. I remember playing with it a lot during the early weight-loss days. I was so amazed that it could twist around my wrist! Not that long afterwards I was able to take my wedding ring on-and-off my finger without having to tug and tug. Both of those were surprising as I hadn't really thought deeply about what it meant to be skinnier.

While those aren't formally "scale-victories," they're still alternate measures of weight.

There was a real NSV I remember when I went for some sort of a doctor visit after I had been losing weight for a while. I must have seen a different doctor for something that required an unscheduled walk-in visit, as it wasn't my regular doc. I remember that he said something like "skinny guys like us" (he was normal weight). I was completely shocked to be considered a member of that exclusive secret club. That was really surprising, and it really made me feel like I had made a big change in my life, and had even changed my identity. It was pretty cool.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    First NSV- a new suit. My reward for losing the first 25 lbs I think. I could look good. I wanted more.

Second. I left work early one day. Wearing that suit btw. I went to the Museum Of Science and Industry in Chicago. A week day afternoon. Not many people. I just walked around for about 90 minutes. The fact that I could be on my feet like that for that long was huge. Huge.
  • minimyzeme
    Options
    Love these, guys! Thanks for playing!
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,193 Member
    Options
    I really don't remember. If I was guessing, I'd say it was a compliment from someone who recognized that I'd lost some weight.