Newbie Question

Options
Genette38
Genette38 Posts: 51 Member
Hi Guys,

Apologies if this has already been asked, I couldn't find the answer online. Today is my first day of trying to eat paleo based meals and I'm not sure about dairy alternatives. I gave up milk and dairy about 6 months or more ago because I figured out that was what was causing my IBS. Now I generally have almond milk if I can get it, if not, I have Soya milk. Are these OK on a Paleo diet? I guess because almond is a nut it's not so bad but it is processed and feels like cheating.

Thanks

Siousix

Replies

• 86toronado
    Options
    Not sure, but I think almond and coconut milks are okay but soy is a big no-no. I'm primal, so can have dairy in moderation... so I may not be the best source of info here.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    If you are suffering with IBS then boxed milk alternates containing carrageenan is not good for you.
    Carrageenan is a seaweed thickener that is believed to be harmful in people suffering digestive issues.
    It's easy to make your own nut milk if you google it.
    Also,soy is a definite NO in paleo/primal.
  • Genette38
    Options
    Great, thanks ladies. I'll definitely look into making my own nut milk. Black coffee is just not the same!

Siousix
  • denise33027
    denise33027 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use coconut milk in place of coffee creamer. Love it!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Some people here have said they use coconut oil in their coffee and it's quite tasty. Someone else will have to verify that one, as I do not drink coffee myself.
  • Genette38
    Options
    Thanks for the tip :flowerforyou:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    You can try making your own nut milk. BUT, with IBS I wonder if that's the best. Also, you want to watch the Omega 6 ratio; they easily get too high.

Please, avoid soy, it's terrible for health.

Coconut milk is about the only thing I will use, but even then I'm a bit picky about the brand and ingredients. You can make your own coconut milk as well.

Edit: I use BP coffee. It's wonderful. Coconut oil and butter.