help with routine

Options
hey guys, I know my routine is bad but I have no idea what I should change :/ Could you guys take a look at it?

I'm doing handstands everyday, when I leave my room I do a few so I learn to balance (I want to progress to unsupported handstand pushups).

core+biceps:
>core stabilizations
>leg raises
>front lever
>pull ups
>chin ups
>vacuums

legs:
>advice pls
>pistol squats ofc

triceps + chest:
>diamond pushups
>dips (weighted)
>chest pushups (with elbows out and fingers in)
>forward chest pushups (looks a bit like a planche pushup)
>tricep extensions

shoulders + lats:
>forward lean hold/pushups
>(pseudo) planche pushups
>hips stationary dips/ butt raised dips/tuck planche dips
>wide pull ups
>wide push ups or something
>handstand pushups

cardio:
>swimming 2xweek

Thanks!

norules

Replies

• wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    It looks pretty thorough to me -- what do you think is wrong with it?

I know pistol squats work both quads and hams but you might look into glute-ham raises to target the posterior chain. Also, I can't tell if you have a horizontal pull in there -- I just do an inverted row by putting a broom between two bar chairs but you can do it under any railing, parallel bars, or even table or desk.

Glad to see another (future) veterinarian -- I'm a vet (pathology). :drinker:
  • norulesjustplay
    Options
    Yeah, I asked around on other media and they also told me it was pretty ****ty.

I think I should make it more basic, so I'm reading 'overcoming gravity' now hoping I can find some useful info.

what about splitting up like:

core+pull
    core+push
    core+legs
    cardio?

and what is that horizontal pull thing? It seems like inverted rows are not as hard as normal pullups?
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    You can make inverted rows harder by elevating your feet, using only 1 foot for support, tucking your knees up (if you're really good!) or wearing a weighted vest/backpack.

This site has some good suggestions.

http://jasonferruggia.com/top-20-bodyweight-exercises-for-building-muscle-strength/

Overcoming gravity is supposed to be good, I haven't read it. Apparently it is just upper body though? I have also heard a lot of good things about Never Gymless, that is next on my list to get.

Yeah, I think having a systematic approach like the one you laid out above is the most efficient and avoids over or undertraining different areas. Check out this site for structuring a routine:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-ultimate-weight-training-workout-routine/

I view BW training the same as any strength training -- focus on major compound muscle groups and keep reps low to moderate. I do full body (horizontal and vertical push and pull, quads and hamstrings) 2 to 3 times a week. Nothing wrong with push/pull/legs or ABA though.

I think cardio depends on what type you are doing and what your overall goals are. If your goal is just to build muscle then steady state cardio can be counter to that, but HIIT a couple of times a week is good. If you want overall fitness, I think cardio is important. Personally I love swimming and think swimming and running is really relaxing/stress relieving, although I have cut back since I started doing more body weight stuff.
  • norulesjustplay
    Options
    thanks, I started reading overcoming gravity but it is progressing slow as i have exams.

I'm delighted with the information given to you from page 1. You are your own gym was a huge disappointment full of bias, broscience and pure commercial bull****.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    The trick is to always make it difficult if you want to develop strength. Sure, you could do 500 press ups a day but would that develop strength and size or just endurance? I'd be looking at doing very wide press ups, press ups in low gym rings or gym ring flyes.

So for lats, rather than doing loads of pull ups, stick a load of plate weights in a rucksack and do pull ups carrying that.

For legs, well, you'll only get so far doing bodyweight squats, then you'll have to do lunges and Bulgarians. Pistols are another option to a certain extent but they are more about balance than strength. It's going to be tough to get very far with just bodyweight exercises when working the legs. If it's a matter of saving money then get a big friend on your back and do squats or even Bulgarian squats.

Shoulders - you've got it nailed with hand stand push ups. When it gets easy, try doing it with one hand.