Appetite has plummeted

Options
craigmandu
craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
I've read in numerous research and blogs that going LCHF will suppress your appetite..and while I accept it, it has been rather shocking to me over the last couple months. I have basically gone from being miserable and hungry at 1800 daily calories (500 deficit) to some days having a bit of a time to reach 1640 (500 deficit on current weight).

A couple of days ago I decided not to "track" for a day and then just eat when I was hungry and track right before I went to bed and it was extremely low....a little over 1000.... I felt fine and even did my normal IF routine and didn't eat again until 12 noon the next day... It really was a rather amazing thing in my mind.

Now I find that I am not "forcing" myself to eat, but rather "sprucing" up calories a bit in some of my meals just to make sure I'm not dropping very low on calories...I might not need to do this, but it feels weird and possibly counter-productive to let myself gauge based on hunger.....

Just an interesting observation.

Replies

• qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Ghrelin and Leptin doing their thing. It's pretty amazing once fat adapted and the addiction to sugar ends.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    That's actually how your body is supposed to work. Appetite/Consumption should be regulated automatically just like your body temperature, or blood pressure, or blood glucose. It's only when something is broken and not functioning correctly that weight is not healthy even without calorie counting.
  • PaulChasinDreams
    PaulChasinDreams Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Yes very normal and a good thing. I've been eating Keto for over a year and also do intermittent fasting. I've varied lots in my fasting hours but being in full ketosis at all times I have to literally remind myself to eat my second meal of the day lot's of times with a cell phone reminder alarm because I eat in a window of time so lot's of days I still am not feeling any hunger at all going towards my second meal. When I was heavier I was only eating one meal a day and that got harder to do as time went on getting all the nutes for the day in one meal. So even now doing two meals a day to break up my energy in it still is tough at times cause of the lack of hunger. Currently I eat from 11 AM for one meal and they other by 5 PM. This works for me well. Some days I feel the need to eat more than others but having done extended fasting periods up to 10 days at length I am very used to not feeling hungry. More about making sure I am getting in proper nutrients now days as I build lean mass at this point.

As time goes on and if you stay in ketosis you will likely find lot's of things changing with your body/metabolim and they way you feel and live. Changes in how you look at food/energy will also likely occur. I have not craved anything sweet, starchy, etc for a very long time now as well. Those cravings you will probably find will fade away too more and more as time goes on. You will likely crave foods with more protein and fats as time goes on. All good things that come to folks that stick to this change in lifestyle.
  • GammieLCHF
    GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Same. I’m literally eating about 600-700 calories a day (I don’t count them but MFP will and I have to cheat the system to get my diary to log if under 1000!) I am not starving and I eat twice a day and never have tummy growls. I just am very picky on what I eat! Half the time I can’t even finish my lunch or dinner. When I eat carbs I can literally eat ALL DAY and still want more.