Living the Lifestyle (LTL) - Wednesday, 4/17/19

Options
minimyzeme
minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for April are below:

Monday - imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday- jimb376mfp (Jim)

Today's Topic: Rewards

Do you make a deliberate effort to reward yourself for reaching any of your weight management milestones? If so, what are they? Has your thought process or reward type changed over the time?

Replies

• jasper60103
    jasper60103 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    "Do you make a deliberate effort to reward yourself for reaching any of your weight management milestones? If so, what are they? Has your thought process or reward type changed over the time? "

I don't reward myself for maintenance, but I did a couple times when I was loosing.
    I recall buying some tools on one occasion, maybe a new pair jeans on another.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    When losing it was always clothes. I’ve posted a bunch of times about my career as the best dressed guy in our office. At least I was aiming for it. It came as a total surprise and was great fun.

But now I’m retired in Key West. My current project, to redo my program with a lower GW of 170lbs seems to be its own reward.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,941 Member
    Options
    I don't remember every thinking of something as a "reward" for weight-loss, but rather as necessities. Like the other respondents, I had to buy a lot of new clothes!

As an aside, I bought a lot of new clothes in one big day at the mall (Banana Republic, J Crew, and a few similar stores). I hate shopping in general, but that was actually pretty fun and it felt like a capstone on my weight-loss efforts.

I did buy a high-quality scale, but again, I felt like that was a necessity rather than a reward.

Likewise, I never gave myself a reward during maintenance. Hmmm, maybe I should start thinking about it since I'm almost at my 10 year mark of maintaining!
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,075 Member
    Options
    I am not so much of a "reward myself" kind of guy. I did buy a professional quality scale that is the same model as WW without using the computer hook-up when I got close to goal. My other scale quit and I knew I needed an accurate to track my status. Like Steve-O it was more of a necessity than a reward.

Gosh I told myself when I reached 25,000 miles on my bike I would celebrate big time. What did I do. I kept on riding to 25,001 and 25,002 etc. I did celebrate with dinner at 50,000 miles.
    I was riding a 60 mile ride with a friend when I turned my bike odometer over from 99,999 miles back to zero. We took a picture and I had a craft beer w lunch where we toasted that.

I am planning a ride with son and DIL with a bike and brew theme (very limited brew for me) and staying at an iconic place in the Columbia River Gorge when I reach the distance of 1/2 way to the moon of about 119,450 miles (average distance) this summer.

Honestly I am not good at organizing celebratory stuff and don't celebrate with food normally.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,911 Member
    Options
    Nope! Like Steve, I buy necessity.
    Rewards, especially food ones come at anniversaries, birthdays, etc.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,193 Member
    Options
    Not generally. Certainly not food rewards. Maybe a piece of clothing that fits better than what I have. But, not usually.

“Eating crappy food is not a reward—it’s a punishment.” -Drew Carey
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    The last thing that I can remember buying as a reward was a brand new (not refurbished) MacBook in June 2012 after I earned my doctorate. I would have bought it earlier but did not want to get into tech upgrade hell while I was still working on my dissertation.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,943 Member
    Options
    I've had so little to reward myself lately due to the fact that I haven't hit any of my goals. When I was on track and losing weight I really didn't do any type of rewards because eating was what I was trying to avoid and buying clothes was a necessity.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,848 Member
    Options
    Funny, the first time I joined WW (1st of several) The topic in my 2nd week was all about giving yourself rewards, as you would expect the most common ones that came up were "Get a Mani Pedi", and "Go Shopping" after listening to this for several minutes I raised my hand and asked if any one had some suggestions that might work for a man? I was barraged with a chorus of explanations on how shopping and mani pedi's were the PERFECT reward. I walked out and did not go back for several years (that did not help my WL journey).
    This time (over 12 years ago now) I figured I would have to come up with some rewards on my own! I have used tickets to a game, a new golf club, and a camping fishing weekend. I have not done a reward in a long time because I have not been in real weight loss mode in quite a while. Maybe I need to go back to that.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Do you make a deliberate effort to reward yourself for reaching any of your weight management milestones? If so, what are they? Has your thought process or reward type changed over the time?

I have not done this. I think for me it's part of trying not to make too big a deal out of the whole weight loss thing. It's certainly important to me but I find it comes with its own rewards (as previously discussed).

That said, I sometimes have firings of little food flings after successive under goal weighings. I might splurge a little more on a food thing than I would otherwise. The thought might cross my mind that this is OK because of my "success", but to date, it hasn't been a long-lived experience--just a blip and done. I don't consider it a reward as much as breathing a little easier that things are going as planned.