Thoughts on macros - what is the result of too much fat?

Options
deksgrl
deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
I'd like thoughts on the topic of macros being out of balance. I am set to eat 1800 calories, 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein. I lift heavy 3x per week, and walk 30 minutes at 4 mph usually 2x or 3x per week.

I eat usually under on the carbs, over on fat, and under on protein. With the reports feature here I can't figure out how to get an average since it just seems to be a graphic and no data I can export and average.

I understand that meeting protein is most important for preserving LBM, but I am wondering what detrimental effects come from the excess fat.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Other than crowding out your other macros, none that I'm aware of, assuming calories are being controlled and there are no underlying health issues.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm set to 30% fat too and usually am at or over it. I figure since it's mostly from the healthy fats I'm fine with it. I tend to have higher fat levels than other diary's I look at but so far I haven't noticed any adverse affects.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you use the phone app you can get your totals for any week you have logged and what your goal was and what you have left...

I just take that to a spreadsheet manually.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I have the blackberry app but I can't download any data with it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Other than crowding out your other macros, none that I'm aware of, assuming calories are being controlled and there are no underlying health issues.

^^this (as well as ensuring that it does not crowd out micros)
  • mattcoop
    mattcoop Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have my macros set at 40/25/35 (C/P/F) and it is my opinion after three years that this is the best combination for my fitness... I burn about 500 - 600 cals per workout / six days a week (usually at lunchtime) it truly matters when you eat your most carbs....eat more in the morning and gradually less through out the day... In the evenings, I eat a veggie/meat medley (with healthy olive oil/flax/chia seed fats). The fiber in the medley works wonders ... I eat about 1800 - 2100 calories per day (mostly 1900).

You will usually keep your fat at 35% easily if you stay off the processed foods and eat meat-veggie medly in the evenings... they don't have to be bland... its all about knowing your spices. like crushed red pepper (good for preventing colds) or your favorites

As far as what excess fat does to you.... excess fat simply becomes stored and the cholesterol that accompanies animal fat simply can build up in your arteries over time if you don't keep them to a good 200 mg minimum...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    it truly matters when you eat your most carbs....eat more in the morning and gradually less through out the day... In the evenings, I eat a veggie/meat medley (with healthy olive oil/flax/chia seed fats). The fiber in the medley works wonders ... I eat about 1800 - 2100 calories per day (mostly 1900).

It may matter for performance reasons when you eat your carbohydrates, and it may also matter for glycogen status if you're performing multiple training bouts within a short time frame, but beyond that, trying to time your carbohydrates for fat loss purposes is basically pointless.

As far as what excess fat does to you.... excess fat simply becomes stored

Excess calories are stored as fat regardless of the macronutrient composition of your diet.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I have my macros set at 40/25/35 (C/P/F) and it is my opinion after three years that this is the best combination for my fitness... I burn about 500 - 600 cals per workout / six days a week (usually at lunchtime) it truly matters when you eat your most carbs....eat more in the morning and gradually less through out the day... In the evenings, I eat a veggie/meat medley (with healthy olive oil/flax/chia seed fats). The fiber in the medley works wonders ... I eat about 1800 - 2100 calories per day (mostly 1900).

You will usually keep your fat at 35% easily if you stay off the processed foods and eat meat-veggie medly in the evenings... they don't have to be bland... its all about knowing your spices. like crushed red pepper (good for preventing colds) or your favorites

As far as what excess fat does to you.... excess fat simply becomes stored and the cholesterol that accompanies animal fat simply can build up in your arteries over time if you don't keep them to a good 200 mg minimum...

^^ignore all this OP.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Thank you! I'm really pleased with the results I'm getting with strength training, I'm about 6 months in. I just didn't want to be impeding progress. I do need to try to be more consistent with the protein so I will focus on that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Locking so we can track active threads better. If you have further questions, please PM me, and include a link to this thread and I will unlock so you can pose them.
This discussion has been closed.