2nd Day on Keto

smalls_kisha
smalls_kisha Posts: 12 Member
I gotta say i'm not feeling too well which was expected because I'm basically made up of all carbs.
5% Carbs
77% Fat
18% Protein
I am very nauseous an lethargic today and will just keep posting here and try to stick through because my co-workers can no longer listen to me complain

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Serious question, how much did you research before starting Keto? Keto Flu is a real thing and can easily be avoided by ensuring that you are well hydrated and replenishing your Electrolytes - Sodium, Chloride, Calcium, and Potassium. It's best to start supplementing right away to avoid the symptoms all together, but it sounds like you are already symptomatic. Get yourself some salt asap , and while not the best option for long term, get some Electrolyte replacements available at most drug stores (make sure you get the sugar free kind). Going forward, it is really important to get enough salt in your diet. The Keto diet causes you to flush water which can dehydrate you and also deplete your electrolytes.

If you haven't, I would definitely recommend reading up some more on the diet. Another thing that can happen due to the flush of water is that you can become constipated. This can be avoided/combated by supplementing with Magnesium. It's important when you begin any new diet to fully research all aspects. Weight loss is great, but you need to be aware of other changes that can/will happen to your body as well.
  • erin6026
    erin6026 Posts: 117 Member
    It's my 2nd day too and I'm SO lethargic. Just want to flop on the couch. Is sugar free Gatorade the only electrolyte solution? Or is there something more natural I can make at home? When does all the Keto energy kick in? :D
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    edited April 2019
    erin6026 wrote: »
    It's my 2nd day too and I'm SO lethargic. Just want to flop on the couch. Is sugar free Gatorade the only electrolyte solution? Or is there something more natural I can make at home? When does all the Keto energy kick in? :D

Sugar Free Gatorade should be your absolute last resort. You can start by adding extra salt to your food, Epsom Salt baths, Sole Water (https://wellnessmama.com/12158/make-sole/), Nuun Tablets, etc. Just google "natural electrolyte replacement" and there are literally thousands of results.
  • Nokt2018
    Nokt2018 Posts: 49 Member
    1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of lite-salt in a water bottle. Some people like to add a flavoring as well.
  • PeaceQT18
    PeaceQT18 Posts: 56 Member
    I am jump starting my diet after a long weekend of some drinks and some delicious home made cookies I have decided to kick start my Keto Diet with the Egg Fast...
    I have done it before I started the Keto last May and it helped kick me into ketosis fast. Like ALL cravings were gone and that's what I need now because after this past weekend I've been craving some more cookies...
  • GammieLCHF
    GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
    Take it easy and drink bone broth. Just think of how great you’ll feel when you get the keto energy rush!
  • PeaceQT18
    PeaceQT18 Posts: 56 Member
    Also Gatorade makes Zero now and I'm sure the electrolytes in them will make you feel better... And make yourself some homestyle mixed veggies with soy sauce...
  • Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    Drink some broth. I was sick after 2 days, shaky , nauseated, and threw up. It was Superbowl day. Spent most of the day in bed, only up to sip on broth, regular brotha I didn't think I'd get in Ketosis so fast( probably though because that week I had been lowering my carbs , before actually jumping into keto) I was feeling better by the evening that day. Powerade Zero is a life saver.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited April 2019
    I gotta say i'm not feeling too well which was expected because I'm basically made up of all carbs.
    5% Carbs
    77% Fat
    18% Protein
    I am very nauseous an lethargic today and will just keep posting here and try to stick through because my co-workers can no longer listen to me complain

18% protein%? On how many calories?
    I would seriously increase that ASAP. Especially coming from being a carb addict. You’re spending valuable muscle on such low protein, especially since you don’t have the mitochondria to efficiently use fat yet.

Also, you must supplement electrolytes starting day 1.

This is exactly why many people fail on keto and then tell others how sick it made them.
    They begin eating a protein deficient and also diuretic diet without understanding the body’s needs and how it adapts to the dramatic diet change.
    The way you are feeling is not normal. Don’t try to push through it. Keto flu is just low sodium and 100% avoidable. Feeling like that tells you that you’re doing something wrong.
  • saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    I found taking a multivitamin everudsy kept the keto flu away. Just an idea. When starting a new WOE, it's very easy to become deficient.