Restarting my journey, new to the group

2»

Replies

• hapyfaces2
    hapyfaces2 Posts: 46 Member
    Hello.. I am restarting my journey once again after too much neglect. I am up 30 plus pounds in 2 years and inflammation has gotten worse as well as my the asthma. Just pulled a meniscus in left knee and have trigger finger in my right hand. On the last time around my fitnesspal and groups was invaluable and I lost the needed weight with the love and support of it's family. So I am back to start new and hoping to make friends to also encourage and be encouraged. You can add me to your friends list
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 347 Member
    hapyfaces2 wrote: »
    Hello.. I am restarting my journey once again after too much neglect. I am up 30 plus pounds in 2 years and inflammation has gotten worse as well as my the asthma. Just pulled a meniscus in left knee and have trigger finger in my right hand. On the last time around my fitnesspal and groups was invaluable and I lost the needed weight with the love and support of it's family. So I am back to start new and hoping to make friends to also encourage and be encouraged. You can add me to your friends list

Hi! I just recommitted to the anti-inflammatory diet after my 20+ weight gain over the past two years. So far I'm doing well and I'm down 6.8 lbs. I have an open diary and love to see what others are eating to get ideas and tips.
  • stephglindsay
    stephglindsay Posts: 1 Member
    Hi all, I am just restarting like many of you. Early 50s (how can that be??) and tho i have always been heavy from PCOS, I am truly alarmed as i am turning to blubber out of the blue. So many different approaches out there, i have tried most of them. I have found things unique to my own quirky body that seem to help in most of them. The common denominator is veggies. Always more veggies!
  • mamcmurray
    mamcmurray Posts: 8 Member
    Summary from the Harvard Medical School book that reviewed all the diets out there. Their summary: 1) Eat real food 2) Slightly less than you think you need 3) Mostly plants

That's it... In those three simple statements, you have weight loss, clean eating and most 'real' diets summarized. Some folks will have medical conditions that affect their intake, but most folks don't. Some folks have psychological conditions that affect their intake, but most folks don't.

The four pillars of healthy lifestyle (open to debate, of course)
    1) Eat healthy (see above)
    2) Exercise regularly
    3) Sleep plenty
    4) Hydrate sufficiently

Forgetting the mechanics of calorie counting, macro counting, BF% checks, daily weigh ins, etc. All of these are very good, and supportive, and will work for some people. All four of those pillars will work for all people in all health conditions. Regarding 'restarting' your health plan - you don't really get to do that, and that thinking comes loaded with a lot of guilt (but if it works for you, go for it...)

Try this metaphor: You're the pilot of a plane in Atlanta and are headed for Seattle. Amazingly enough, within 10 minutes of getting airborne, you are off-course! Its true! A lot of factors contribute to it - wind, precipitation, air temp, pilot error, autopilot calibration, etc. Net result - you are no longer headed to Seattle, so you (as the pilot) have a choice. Turn around, land, and try again (restarting your health plan - along with all the guilt associated with 'failing my last diet'). Or instead, making a mid-course correction - recognize that these factors, some in your control and some not, have made an impact on your destination and you need to make a minor change to get back on course. You make the minor change, and what happens - 10 minutes later you are off course again! The fact is, piloting a plane, navigating a ship, catching a fish, running a marathon, etc. - "Life in General" is lived as a continuous series of mid-course corrections. You didn't "fail at losing weight", you simply got pushed off-course and need to make a mid-course correction.

In the military, we talk about 'owning our mistakes' so we can make fewer of them in the future. Where you are today is a direct result of every step you have taken thus far in life, so you are poised for what's next - own it. Just decide on your destination, and take off, and recognize you'll be making LOTS of course corrections - that's called 'life'.

• mamcmurray
    aidydh wrote: »
    hapyfaces2 wrote: »

Hi! I just recommitted to the anti-inflammatory diet after my 20+ weight gain over the past two years. So far I'm doing well and I'm down 6.8 lbs. I have an open diary and love to see what others are eating to get ideas and tips.

Congrats on the weight loss up to this point! Nice job! I tried a 1 year subscription to Clean Eating Magazine to get ideas on how to cook light and clean, and that gave me a ton of ideas and simple substitutions. Or I would Google a recipe I wanted to cook, only adding the words "Clean" or "Healthy", and that would come up with good versions of things I liked.
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Satisfiedwithbetter Posts: 970 Member
    @mamcmurray - I agree with your analogy, with the understanding success at weight loss is more like 99% mental and 1% physical. With clean eating, exercise, sleep, and hydration.... all falling in the 1%. Learning to control our mind is almost everything. Our thoughts, our feelings, our actions, our results all really come from our mind. Learn to control your thoughts and you can accomplish just about anything.
  • mamcmurray
    @Satisfiedwithbetter - Agreed; who was it that said "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right!"?
  • mamcmurray
    @hapyfaces2 - How goes your progress?
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Satisfiedwithbetter Posts: 970 Member
    edited August 2019
    Not sure, but you become what you believe! LOL...
  • glandrum
    glandrum Posts: 2 Member
    It has been a while since I seriously worked on losing weight, or reshaping my body. Have reached a point where I really know that I need to get control. I am approximately 100 pounds over where I need to be and that will be my goal: to get to that point. An alternate goal will be that I reach a waist size of 32 inches prior to reaching the weight goal, I should be where I want to be (that will mean I have lost enough fat and gained enough muscle to get me as lean as I want to be). My wife has been very successful over the past 5.5 years and has been a dedicated clean eater, but I have never gotten on board with it. I have continued to work out regularly, but have not controlled my diet. I know that clean eating is where I need to be.
  • Welcome! You can do this. Clean is great. Learning how not to overeat is important. Understanding the mind is key! It’s ok to not be perfect. It’s ok to fail. As long as you pick yourself up and learn from your failure, you will prevail.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Great post! Good luck to you on your journey! ♥️
  • S_of_Montreal
    S_of_Montreal Posts: 8 Member
    Restarting my clean eating....feel free to add me
  • Shana_1987
    Shana_1987 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone! I'm new to here! Super excited to really focus and try my best to eat clean. I have tried many different "diets" and have had some short term success, but nothing has been sustainable long term (ie. Keto, atkins, Jenny Craig etc). Looking forward to getting some advice and support in this group. It's time for me to change my lifestyle, not just my diet!
  • pmaratana
    pmaratana Posts: 1 Member
    restarting my weight loss journey and I have a goal of 20KG to lose. my current weight is 87