Living the Lifestyle (LTL) - Wednesday, 4/24/19

Options
minimyzeme
minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for April are below:

Monday - imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday- jimb376mfp (Jim)

Today's topic: When the music stops...

Let's say as of your reading of this post, your "plan"--vaporizes. From here on out, you're left to your own to make your way to better health. No tracking or weighing allowed. Pretty much like it was for many of us before we started managing our weight.

What would your trajectory from today forward look like over the course of the next month? How about a year from now?

Discuss.

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Based on past history, my trajectory would be upward. No doubt there would be portion creep as my eyes are a lousy judge of portion size - my food scale keeps me honest.

I will never be cured and I accept that. The food scale, some device for tracking (even paper & pen), and my bathroom scale are things I will never part with.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,915 Member
    Options
    Based on past history, my trajectory would be upward. No doubt there would be portion creep as my eyes are a lousy judge of portion size - my food scale keeps me honest.

I will never be cured and I accept that. The food scale, some device for tracking (even paper & pen), and my bathroom scale are things I will never part with.

Yup!!!!!
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,944 Member
    Options
    Currently I weigh meat and potato portions out on the scale and I use a measuring cup for cereal. I no longer track.

I guess if those things were taken away, I'd probably be ok. I'd have to be a bit more careful about those items that I still measure, but I think I'd survive. Certainly an ounce this way and that way probably won't make a huge difference, and ultimately, I'd know if I were doing ok by my own weight.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,075 Member
    Options
    I think I would be OK. I have memorized portion sizing pretty well over the last 10+ years. I could substitute my pants and belt for a scale too. I definitely am not cured but think I do ok with portion estimates.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I think I'm with @steve0mania and @podkey .

In the short-term (i.e. month), I can and have done well with informed "winging it", with periodic weigh-ins. I keep the desire to maintain just above the slow lust for whatever strikes my fancy food-wise that I'm confident I could maintain over the course of the month.

Looking out over a 12-month period, I think it would probably be a rinse-and-repeat scenario. However, I feel a little bit like a kid with training wheels that I'm just not quite ready to take off yet. It's the 5% or less chance that I go astray that keeps me tracking and not yet wanting to fully abandon the tools I've used to get where I am.

For now, I'm still committed to tracking, which for me is a mix of weighing and estimated servings of food and drink. I could definitely get rid of the bathroom scale as the pants size is a better, more effective metric for me.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    I’d probably gain 10-15lbs before I’d have to stop denying that my clothes no longer fit.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    In the first month I'd have to say I would need to be very careful with the eating habit. By that I mean I would check my portions by the old method of judging using the palm of my hand for protein and the same with most carbs. The clothes thing would come into play pretty quick most likely first week. Then certainly by the end of the first 30 days. Not weighing daily would be the toughest part of the whole thing for me.

One year out would hopefully be a results of daily, weekly, monthly etc; of eating properly, sensibly and balanced meals as a learned process by then. Clothing would ultimately be the best judge as to how I had done.

• GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I’m one of the “trend upwards”. For me, the biggest factor is the “left to my own” part. By nature or nurture, I do better in every aspect when I’m with others.