Overnight porridge substitute?

Options
mor72
mor72 Posts: 83 Member
Does any of you make overnight porridge? And which substitute do you use instead of porridge? Looking for a quick breakfast as i only have a 30 mins time slot in the morning to eat in.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for something keto? If not ...
    I don't eat them often now but there was a time I ate steel cut oats every morning. I used the "overnight method" where i "toasted" several servings of them in a dry pan, added water, brought them to a boil, removed them from heat, put the lid on, let them sit overnight (or an hour or so) then spooned them into serving containers for the refrigerator for daily breakfast.

I most often ate mine with walnuts, a little sweetener, some cinnamon and a few raisins all of which I put in with the water. It's great. The nuts cook a bit and the raisins plump up.
  • GammieLCHF
    GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    mor72 wrote: »
    Does any of you make overnight porridge? And which substitute do you use instead of porridge? Looking for a quick breakfast as i only have a 30 mins time slot in the morning to eat in.

I used to make chia pudding which we called porridge every week. I would make a large batch and it lasted 3-4 days so made for a quick bfast. I only do coffee in the am so I don’t make it anymore.

My recipe was 1/4 c chia seeds (low carb cause very high in fiber), in 2-3 cups (depending on thickness of liquid) of a mix of heavy cream and water, or unsweetened almond milk. Either works. Stir it well, fridge for half an hour. This is the key. Take it out and remix it! This gets rid of lumpiness. Then fridge overnight.

To serve I dole out a bit, nuke it till hot, add either sweetener or berries. The almond milk needs more sweetener to make it palatable imo, but if you eat a berry in every bite, you don’t really need sweetener.

It’s really filling.
  • Kdnyc
    Kdnyc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite breakfasts is oat bran with almond milk, walnuts and berries. I'm not eating it for the time being, but I was thinking of using chia-flax to substitute for half. I love chia pudding and might try the above. My daily carb intake is lower than expected even with lots of vegetables, so I might have room.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Bacon 😂
  • GammieLCHF
    GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Sorry inspiring is the best laughing icon they have. MFP needs some help. A proper block feature for one, and a “haha” emoji. Bacon is always the right answer!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    mor72 wrote: »
    I used to make chia pudding which we called porridge every week. I would make a large batch and it lasted 3-4 days so made for a quick bfast. I only do coffee in the am so I don’t make it anymore.

This is a good alternative. I just started doing chia pudding (I dont really like oats to begin with). So far so good, I make it just like overnight oats in Mason jars. 2 tbsp chia, almond milk + toppings like peanut butter etc. Its helped for me to let it sit for 30 min, shake so seeds aren't all on the bottom, then let it sit overnight, shake before eating. Texture is a little different so I can see it being off putting to some.

vh4lmx36k4ao.jpg
  • mountainready
    mountainready Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Chia pudding is a great alternative to overnight oats, but if you're not a fan of the gelatinous texture I find that any combination of flax seeds, chia seeds, and hemp hearts makes a great breakfast that's pretty similar. Another, weirder option is shirataki rice-- I basically do a sort of rice pudding by making an eggy custard base, and then mix the shirataki rice into that and portion it out into breakfast-sized servings (make sure you rinse the rice very well to get rid of the weird smell/taste).
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    @mountainready with the eggy base, is this something you heat up or eat cold? It would be nice to have some more savory type ideas vs sweet (fruits etc) .
  • MySweetLavinia
    MySweetLavinia Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Big Man's World has a great recipe for keto un-oatmeal. I like experimenting with different flavorings and toppings. Keto Overnight Oatmeal