Perhaps this helps explain the weight gain

Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2311418/

"Menopause stages and underlying FSH changes are associated with notable changes in levels of the metabolically-active adipocytokines and ghrelin and these changes may be related to selected health outcomes observed in women at mid-life."

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Maybe. They are very small studies, though the first one only had 40 subjects.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Maybe. They are very small studies, though the first one only had 40 subjects.

Agreed. But it's a start. And it makes sense.
  • asgentr
    asgentr Posts: 228 Member
    Thanks for sharing the research. I am holding steady, but haven't lost an ounce this month. This time of life is a whole new ballgame. Fasting seems to be helping, which makes me think it is insulin related.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    asgentr wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing the research. I am holding steady, but haven't lost an ounce this month. This time of life is a whole new ballgame. Fasting seems to be helping, which makes me think it is insulin related.

There's a ton of research that suggests that menopause leads to insulin resistance, so it kinda makes sense, yeah.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,274 Member
    Either way, menopause sucks! Lol but it's interesting to see the science behind it so I don't beat myself up too much.