Rosh HaShannah Menus?

Options
Hello everyone,

Starting to think about menu planning. Wondering if anyone has tried and true healthy recipes. I usually do a lentil soup, an apple salad, a roasted chicken, and potatoes, with a sweet potato cake. I could probably keep the soup and chicken, but the apple, potatoes, and cake would all need udpates. Up for trying something brand new, too.

Thanks!

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Just this morning I bought a bunch of quinoa mkixes. To be used instead of kugel or rice.
  • David_273
    David_273 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Welcome Llama with your first post. Thank you MostlyWater with over 1000 posts.

Is quinoa so much better than potatoes and rice that it really makes a difference?
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    Quinoa is a seed, not a grain. It's not a carb.
  • ehimay10ins
    ehimay10ins Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i sometimes make a "roasted beets and squash side dish" or "beets and mandarin oranges"
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    Well ... I prefer my beets cold and I'm NOT tangling with a whole pumpkin ! I'll use my pumpkin from the can, the way the Good Lord intended me to.
  • heres_a_llama
    Options
    I'll use my pumpkin from the can, the way the Good Lord intended me to.

You, I like you (c:
  • David_273
    Options
    OK, we're going to have quinoa both nights of Rosh Hashana.

Many of us have logged in for dozens of consecutive days. Are we all going to get reset to zero because we can't log in for over 72 hours?

AND DON'T FORGET EIRUV TAVSHILIM!
  • David_273
    Options
    For log in reset follow this link http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/login_counter_reset_request

AND DON'T FORGET EIRUV TAVSHILIN!
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    Good luck with that reset request. If you don't log in, despite the fact that it's a Holiday, how do you expect MFP to count those days?
  • ehimay10ins
    ehimay10ins Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So here is the link to the butternut squash and beets
    http://morequicheplease.com/2012/09/roasted-beets-butternut/

I also mentioned a beets and mandarin orange salad
    http://www.gourmetpassovercooking.com/2010/02/roasted-beets-and-clementine-salad/print/

On the page of the first recipe there are a bunch of ideas for Rosh hashana, I can't promise they're diet friendly but check them out (not my blog I found it one year from a link or by just googling
  • Rory_123
    Rory_123 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I make honey cake every year (Claudia Roden's recipe) and it is fairly light. Her lokshen kugel mit eppel is also excellent, and you can definitely cut the sugar if you want to lessen the sweetness, or replace half the sugar with splenda or something.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Last year we indulged in tons of dates stuffed with almonds. So much calories and carbs! So this year, we're watching the fruit intake, too. The problem is that we make a mean ice cream that is loaded with calories. Those desserts just do us in! I think we'll make a lot of jello for desserts. I wish there was a low calorie, sugar free, non processed, low carb dessert, out there... besides water!
  • David_273
    Options
    Just testing my image posting ability.
    Please don't forget eiruv tavshilin.

egg-on-forks-17186-1920x1080.jpg
  • David_273
    Options
    Does anyone have a recipe for black eyed peas (רוביא)?
    Does anyone have a recipe for chicken stuffed with fresh dates? It was in the Mishpacha a few weeks ago.
  • chani8
    Options
    I'm just doing plain ole black eyed peas, boiled with salt. Can't throw any pork in them, LOL, so what else is there to do?!

I'm seeking low calorie, low carb, no sugar, dessert recipes . . . other than water! LOL

Seriously, I'm going to be trying homemade jello desserts. Coffee jello, mocha jello, tea (apple cinnamon) jello, and for the kids, vitaminchick (petal) jello.

I'm also going to experiment using zucchini (if I can find any in the stores - where did the zucchinis go?!!) to make a sweet cinnamon kugel for dessert, instead of using apples.

Instead of cauliflower brownies, I'm going to try to make zucchini low carb brownies.

I think I'll try mixing pumpkin (the real stuff, not canned) with zucchini to make a more low calorie crustless pumpkin pie, also.

I'm going to do a terrible thing and try using just egg whites (throw out the yolks?! :( for these desserts. Gotta cut calories somehow.

For sure we'll make our very high calorie mint coconut milk ice cream, but I also want to try to make a low calorie ice cream. There has to be a way. Or maybe not. If not, then we might splurge and buy a variety of those chemical saturated diet ice cream bars.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    Why do you need dessert? The davening goes so long, that for sure you won't be hungry the 2nd night meal. Between fish, challah, soup, plus chicken or meat and a side, how are you going to eat dessert, seriously?
  • chani8
    Options
    I don't know how I'm going to remember about the eruv tavshillin.

But I finally got my menu organized, I think:

Of course, we'll have challah (my half whole wheat with chai seed), and some nice wine for kiddish.

Then the simanim, which we do some traditional ones and make up extra ones in english. We'll do apples and honey, gingered carrots, dates, rimonim, olives, beets, hummus, beans, leek kugel, pumpkin kugel, whole little fishes, and baby lettuce.

For main courses, I'm planning to make large batches:

RH 1: Sesame chicken
    Thai sauced veggies
    Brown rice
    Peppermint Ice cream

Both day meals: Meaty spaghetti sauce
    Italian sauced veggies
    Noodles
    Chocolate Jello with whipped cream

RH 2: Morrocan Salmon
    Sweet potato
    Eggplant
    Cheesecake

Shabbat: Sushi for salad course, Sesame Chicken, Thai Veggies, Rice, Ice cream.
    Lunch: Pumpkin Cholent, Sausages. 85% Chocolate bar.
    3rd meal: Salads, cheesecake.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    Rosh Hashana 2013
    Menu

Baked gef fish, striped (salmon)
    Roasted vegetables, hot or cold
    Green salad with sprouts

Moussaka (if necessary)
    Deli quiches
    Roast

Squash muffins
    Potato kugel knishes

Dessert:
    Chocolate honeycake with ganache
    Chocolate pie
  • Rory_123
    Rory_123 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Rosh Hashana 2013
    Menu

Baked gef fish, striped (salmon)
    Roasted vegetables, hot or cold
    Green salad with sprouts

Moussaka (if necessary)
    Deli quiches
    Roast

Squash muffins
    Potato kugel knishes

Dessert:
    Chocolate honeycake with ganache
    Chocolate pie

Can we have a "like" button, please? Chocolate honey cake...be still my heart....recipe please!!!