This May I Will...

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,963 Member
    @themedalist
    Sounds like wonderful morning walks & a joyful summer! I love how you identified that you might need a more entrenched trigger. You continually inspire us!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Well, it’s been one week since I set up my “I will...”

On May 3, I wrote:
    For May, I’m going to focus on my newly declared maintenance 4/25/19.
    I will lift weights every other day & on alternate days do harder cardio (hills/ex bike/ maybe join gym for treadmill). Each day I will walk 10K steps & do a minimum of 60 mins of cardio/walking. If I’m too tired, I will do flat walks at slower pace.

These are not new- except for greater frequency of the wt lifting.

Doctor completely agrees with this plan. :)

I will monitor my average weekly weight & make changes as needed.

Goals: Average wt in May =< 153, great energy, good muscle/strength. Continued great health❣️

MAY 10 1 week update:

April avg wt 153
    May avg wt (so far): 154.2

May 3 - 80m lifted weights + 37 flat walks
    May 4 - 261 m hiking (2,222’ elevation)
    9.3 miles (PR)
    May 5 77 mins of flat walking/stairs
    May 6 149 mins flat walking + 80 mins wts
    May 7 wts at PT
    May 8 only walked 82 mins still sore from walk/PT
    May 9 only walked 109 mins 18.5-18.9 min/mile fatigued & sore PT (new exercises)

154.5 up from 153.4 average weekly weight

Up 1/2 lb since Jan 1 2019

Looking at all of this, I’m of 2 minds...
    My skinny aka 153 Clothes fit. I’m stronger & more muscular...AND I think what is happening has to do with Significantly harder exercise & warmer weather Because I’ve had a 3,223 calorie deficit in the 9 days so far of May.

I do feel more full than I used to, so I’ve decided to take a modified intuitive eating approach.
    Things I already do:
    1. Eat a good breakfast that balances overnight fast (as I have been, but slightly fewer calories is ok)
    2. Continue wt lifting & minimum 60 mins exercise & >60 mins of exercise or as I call it “Keep Moving! Remember the National Weight Loss Registry research results!”
    3. Remember that I am a POW, not a NOW...Previously Overweight, not Never Overweight.
    4. Continue to track everything I consume

New things I will do:
    A. Don’t eat if I’m not hungry. I know from past experience that if I only eat when hungry & stop when I no longer am, I will be normal wt.
    1. Pay more attention to how my body feels.
    2. I need to begin leaving food on my plate. I got it habit of eating it because I had already tracked it & I knew if I got too hungry, I’d overeat in future or make worse choices.
    3. You will feel better.
    4. No eating in advance ie to prevent being hungry. Instead carry foods & only eat when you ARE hungry

B. Focus on Contingency Plans when away from home for food..
    1.Prepare & carry foods in my backpack for times when I am hungry. Nuts, washed apples/mandarins, single serve nut butters, dark choc. Kashi cereal or homemade granola
    For times I’ll be away from home longer: cold pack- bob fat Greek yogurt, leftover cooked meat, washed berries, washed baby carrots, radishes

2 Re-enact contingency plan when I’m really craving eating out.
    It’s expensive. So if you successfully do not eat out, you may put 2/3 of what you would have spent towards equipment such as artwork scanner, photography set-up for taking better pics of my artwork, or a Hypervolt (high intensity vibration massager) highly recommended by my PT “When you exercise hard, your muscles will not. This device will help.” Often on sale at the holidays...

In summary:
    *****NEW So focus on true hunger & stopping eating when no longer****
    Re-instate Habits/rewards from before that I haven’t been doing.

Motivation: more freedom in maintenance, feeling in control, successfully maintaining.
    I don’t like routines too much, so my reward is being able to be more spontaneous AND maintaining. Time will tell!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Bought indiv. Wrapped cheese sticks
    Baby carrots & radishes

Ate them as in-the-go lunch

And surprised myself by eating apple, cheese stick & 1/2 oz pecans as “dessert” later on when I’d wanted a fattening dessert a couple hours earlier.

Scale dropped for first time in a while by 0.2

“Contingency Plans” will be the way I succeed in maintenance.

Happy.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,729 Member
    This has been a great week for pre-logging and staying under my fat goal. :) I've managed it every day so far this week. Even though I've had to cut back on some of my exercise because I'm dealing with heel pain, I'm still managing to be active. The scale is applauding my consistency - hope that continues. Maintenance weight, here I come.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    77tes wrote: »
    This has been a great week for pre-logging and staying under my fat goal. :) I've managed it every day so far this week. Even though I've had to cut back on some of my exercise because I'm dealing with heel pain, I'm still managing to be active. The scale is applauding my consistency - hope that continues. Maintenance weight, here I come.

@77tes Awesome! Cheering you on! 💕
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,646 Member
    You’re all doing so well! I lost a message last night because my iPad died and this will be quick.
    Friday outside time... fed bluebirds, then watched a nuthatch eat the mealworms😲, then transplanted some daisies, pulled some grass, and planted a dozen petunias for about an total of an hour. Later I went for a 1 mile walk on the road. Today after class I stopped at a park and birded a little while. Totally missed out on Thursday and didn’t give it a thought until I got home at 8 because I babysat that day and it was cold and windy. I haven’t been using my backpack as a trigger. I haven’t remembered to set it in my chair at night even once! I think feeding the birds is incentive enough to go outside. I always notice something that needs to be done and I stay awhile.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,328 Member
    Nice going everyone! You are all doing so great. It's so inspiring to hop on here and see how you are changing and adapting things to make it work for you, and the way you hit your goals.

I will be doing a May Re-Start beginning tomorrow. I had a whole paragraph typed out about all the stress in life lately, but deleted it. Although I know I've been giving myself the green light to eat anything and everything in sight and have allowed myself to be lazy and blaming it on my emotions and depression, it's just not okay.

Now, I have 3 family members with serious health issues and because of my CHOICES, I'm going backwards. How am I supposed to help any of them if I allow myself to get sick again? Why, why, why do I always sabotage myself?

I'm disgusted with myself again, and enough is enough. I need to be healthy so I can be here for my mom, my stepdad, my father and my stepdaughter. Period.

Beginning tomorrow, Monday, May 13th, I WILL log every single bite. No excuses are acceptable.

Thank you for hanging in there with me, even though I keep sliding backwards. One of these times, it's going to stick! :flowerforyou:
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Nice going everyone! You are all doing so great. It's so inspiring to hop on here and see how you are changing and adapting things to make it work for you, and the way you hit your goals.

I will be doing a May Re-Start beginning tomorrow. I had a whole paragraph typed out about all the stress in life lately, but deleted it. Although I know I've been giving myself the green light to eat anything and everything in sight and have allowed myself to be lazy and blaming it on my emotions and depression, it's just not okay.

Now, I have 3 family members with serious health issues and because of my CHOICES, I'm going backwards. How am I supposed to help any of them if I allow myself to get sick again? Why, why, why do I always sabotage myself?

I'm disgusted with myself again, and enough is enough. I need to be healthy so I can be here for my mom, my stepdad, my father and my stepdaughter. Period.

Beginning tomorrow, Monday, May 13th, I WILL log every single bite. No excuses are acceptable.

Thank you for hanging in there with me, even though I keep sliding backwards. One of these times, it's going to stick! :flowerforyou:

Dear @PackerFanInGB
    I applaud your efforts. I’m sorry you feel disgusted. One thing that might help: talk to yourself as if you were a friend of yours! I find my compassionate side & wisdom come out when I try that.

For example: oh my friend, no need to feel disgusted. You are amazing & I love you. You have a lot in your plate right now, of course it is stressful. Perhaps we can brainstorm other ways to help with the stress or ways others can manage some of the many tasks that are now on you.
    Maybe their are some baby steps that you can make. Logging breakfast this week, breakfast & lunch next week, all 3 the third week? Maybe setting up a time, even a few minutes, for you to do something totally relaxing. Please be kind to yourself. I love you.

We’re here for you @PackerFanInGB ❣️
  • rhi_eaton
    rhi_eaton Posts: 4 Member
    1. This May I will lose at least half a stone!
    2. I will go out for a walk on the days inbetween my gym days to gain extra steps and calories lost!
    3. I will remember to do this by doing it at the same time everyday and immeditately when I get in from work.
    4. 4 times a week inbetween gym days :smile:
    5. I will get to watch a new episode of my favourite show once complete, if not complete no episode!
    6. Just normal motivation from the group will be lovely.
    7. Success will look like 15 stone or under by end of May! 5lb + loss :smiley:
  • 77tes
    rhi_hall wrote: »
    1. This May I will lose at least half a stone!
    2. I will go out for a walk on the days inbetween my gym days to gain extra steps and calories lost!
    3. I will remember to do this by doing it at the same time everyday and immeditately when I get in from work.
    4. 4 times a week inbetween gym days :smile:
    5. I will get to watch a new episode of my favourite show once complete, if not complete no episode!
    6. Just normal motivation from the group will be lovely.
    7. Success will look like 15 stone or under by end of May! 5lb + loss :smiley:

Hi @rhi_hall, Welcome to the group. That's a great goal for May. Give yourself a cheer or a pat on the back every time you do the little things that will help you reach your goal. Every time you hit the gym, cheer yourself on. Every time you head out the door for a walk, give yourself 3 cheers. :)

@PackerFanInGB , I agree with @MadisonMolly2017, stop with that mean self talk! You'd never say that to a friend, so be a good friend to yourself. You are struggling with being everything for everybody else in your life, and I get that. I remember hearing Suze Orman point out the importance of helping yourself first like the emergency instructions we all hear every time we fly, “If you are travelling with a child or someone who requires assistance, secure your mask on first, and then assist the other person.” Suze made the point that you should do this about your finances, but I actually immediately made the connection to taking care of my health. I would be doing stuff for the kids, my husband, and other family members, but really taking care of yourself is a primary responsibility. So, do try to carve out a little time to relax and get away from all the stress, maybe a walk or some such. Get help if you are doing it all. Lots of virtual hugs. Celebrate the things you did right today. Restart May today and be your own cheerleader.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,646 Member
    @PackerFanInGB Just the fact that you're going through so much and continue to want to do things to improve your health is success in itself. That desire will get you the results you crave...healthy living. There's a way for each of us and we have to find the path that works for us personally. I finished reading Intuitive Eating today and, like others here said, be compassionate with yourself when you're not "perfect". What I've learned is that food is not the enemy! I need to honor my hunger and eat when I get the signal. I am an emotional eater and use food to avoid feelings. Feeling guilty for what I have or have not eaten has never helped me change my behavior. And my personal belief... you're exactly where you need to be at this moment in time. What lessons are you learning about yourself? There's no jumping ahead in life. Live and learn a little each day. Look inside yourself and see a beautiful soul filled with love for others even when they're not "perfect", then love yourself the same way. Stay strong, and feel free to share your troubles with me any time here or by personal message. You've got this!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Thank you for sharing your insights with me. You are, of course, correct. I would never talk to anyone else the way I talk to myself. And I know it is not what I should be doing. I don't know why I alway fall back into that behavior.

Today was a good day. I logged every bite, and I even put a scale on my table next to me at dinner and measured every single item that went on my plate. I am in the green with calories--so yea! I'm already feeling a bit better mentally just by getting going on a routine again.

I packed tomorrow's breakfast, lunch and snacks and measured it all. I set the coffeemaker to auto start for when I get up in the morning.

I went to the greenhouse with my husband and picked out some new perennials for our yard and we planted most of them. I love flowers, the colors and smells. It's one of my favorite things to do. My husband takes me and buys the flowers for the yard and lets me pick out what I want for my Mother's Day gift each year. It is a tradition that I love and look forward to.

Now, I plan to do my evening routine and go to bed early. I will write 5 things I'm grateful for today in my Gratitude journal, read out of my Joyce Meyers inspiration book and listen to the Calm app to try to wind down.

My mom will need me to be strong both physically and mentally as my stepdad's health declines, and I can't do that if I don't snap out of it and take care of myself. I know this. I don't know why I struggle with this. I can and will begin working on this again.

Have a peaceful night everyone! xoxo Hugs to you all.
  • 77tes
    @PackerFanInGB , I’m so glad you had a good day! Victory!
  • mzbrit89
    mzbrit89 Posts: 3 Member
    this month I will work on my core. I started a core work out I want to get through without feeling like im gonna die lol
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @PackerFanInGB

Tremendous work!!!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Food journaling:

5/13: :) Made good mindful choices also.
    5/14: :) Journaled every bite. Made a few not so great choices but my goal is to journal every bite and I did.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Awesome!! @PackerFanInGB
  • 77tes
    @PackerFanInGB , you are doing great! Go you!

@mzbrit89, I understand the feeling - just finished a Hasfit video - yep, I'm gonna die! :smiley: Your profile before and after pic looks awesome, so you definitely can do it!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    My May I Will is working.

I’m now practicing leaving some of the item I like the most at each meal on my plate.

Hopi g once I master this, I can gentle move to still tracked, but more intuitive eating.
  • mzbrit89
    mzbrit89 Posts: 3 Member
    @77tes thank you! but that was before I had my son, I'm working my way back to it!