What do you do to keep from binge eating when you feel the urge?

Options
xtinalovexo
xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
Last night I ALMOST binge ate... I decided to relax with a glass of wine, but I was feeling the munchies, so I decided to make some Kettle corn... I LOVE popcorn and wine! I ate the whole bag of popcorn, (which was fine, it was in my macros) but I felt bad after... I just wanted to keep eating though and I almost did... I had a piece of Texas toast and stopped. I ended up going to bed, but I was still "hungry" and didn't feel like chugging water. Due to it being later, it was okay to go to bed, but if it were earlier in the day I would have ended up failing.

Are there any specific things you do to combat this???

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I so wish.

The only thing that works for me to combat binge eating is to distract myself with something engrossing before I start. The problem is that when I'm tired after work, I don't have the energy to think of or start doing anything engrossing, and therefore...
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    This is more of a hopeful preventive tactic, but I have been purposely trying to get 9-10 hours of sleep. Sometimes this means giving up on a lot of things like my favorite shows, going out when my friends go out, quality time with my hubby. My life is pretty busy, so putting this as a priority comes with downsides. BUT so far I've noticed with increasing my sleep (either all at once or with a nap right after work) I have a lot more control over my urges that pop during the day when I don't feel like I have a lot of control of my situation (like at work when I can't just leave to do something fun and distracting etc).

I hope that helps!
  • KillerFrostie
    KillerFrostie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just came here just now for some emergency support - fighting the urge to binge and saw this post, which is exactly what I needed to see right now!
    I've been hungry for two days - I am eating my calories, not sure why I'm hungry a half hour after eating, but I almost lost all control a few minutes ago.
    I usually am not in a mindset to fight the binge, but maybe logging into MFP to connect with others and remind ourselves what we are trying to accomplish will help when the urge strikes? I've also been successful with making or cooking something similar to what I'm craving, but healthier so that I am still eating but in control.
  • ConH12
    ConH12 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I find a guided meditation on YouTube for binge eating or stress it helps.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Of late, I've been experimenting with sating the urge to binge with big bowls of fruit topped with soy yoghurt and - and this is the important bit - sprinkled with Options hot chocolate powder.

It gives me the chocolate taste I'm craving, it's high in protein rather than pure carbs+fat like actual chocolate, and there's a lot of 'filler' there, especially with fruits like melon and strawberries. It seems to be working for me, though dear gods, you would not believe h ow much fruit I am getting through...
  • iamworthy14
    iamworthy14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I've been realizing that it's an urge and I don't need to give into the urge.
  • lindabortner
    lindabortner Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, I watch my 600 pound life to keep me from binge eating. I am afraid that could be me one day.