Wannabe/Faux Runner - Tips and Encouragement Appreciated!

GabyBaby916
GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
Hello all,

I've been tentatively starting to run for about a year. That sounds odd, but let me explain.
I believe I have a solid base of walking (averaging 3-5 miles at least 5 days per week).
I've started the C25K program a number of times in the past, but never got beyond week one. I always felt defeated that the first half of Week 1, Day 1 was (almost) enough to jump on my cell phone and ask my husband to drive out and pick me up from the side of the road somewhere. I think I have the wind/lungs, but my legs start KILLING me. I'm a VERY slow jogger, so my jog could more accurately be described as a bouncy walk with a slightly longer stride. My poor dog barely trots as she keeps pace. I've seen her glancing at me while we're "jogging". I'm pretty sure it is a look of pity. :grumble:

In the last month or two, I've started mixing very short bursts of jogging during my usual walk. I'll walk for a bit, then the mood strikes and I'll jog from one end of a block to the other, then continue my walk. The next day or week, if the mood struck me, I'd jog 2 blocks, then walk. There hasn't been any real consistentcy or any real plan other than the thought "I'd like to start running".

I think part of the issue is that I have a couple of conerns that I am using as ready excuses to stay on the walking side of the track versus the running side.
FIrst, I'm about 35lbs heavier than I want to be. I'm 5ft 5in tall and currently weigh 170lbs. I worry that I'm too heavy to really start a running program. I was in an ankle boot for the better part of a year for tendonitis, so reinjuring is a concern.
Second, I can go for long periods of being extremely dedicated to a workout/eating plan, then if someting happens to knock me off track, it can take months to get back into a regular routine.

So....with that, can the more experienced runners give a newb some tips on how to:
1. Get started.
2. Stay motivated.
3. Develop a personal program that I can stick with and progress.

Thank you! :smile:

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    First, I wouldn't worry about your weight. There are two topics that have come up in the past month or so about people 200+ lbs doing C25K. I was 235+ lbs when I started.

Second, get good running shoes, the sort that are fitted for you at a running store where the clerks are runners themselves. This will help with your feet worries. This helped me a lot with my ankle worries, both physically and psychologically.

Third, don't assume that running is necessarily faster than walking, at least not at first. Keep your feet under you. I stride out a lot more when walking than running.

Then get the app, or webcast, or stopwatch and a piece of paper with the plan written on it and go.

Wear your running shoes. Run slow, but run.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    A couple of things already said. Don't worry about your weight, I started the C25k program at 233 and finished it just fine. And running shoes do really make a difference. A good shoe is definitely not something to take for granted. I started off wearing some older shoes and was getting lots of shin pain. Got some new shoes and the pains gradually went away.

Another thing is get some tunes going, don't play anything soft, get some really good tunes! they help keep you motivated. While running I only have one ear bud in so that I can hear my surroundings, but I still play good music.

Whatever you do, just keep going with the program, you may get bored with it, you may get fed up with the speed/distance/progress that you are doing. But DON'T GIVE UP.. you will get there. I wanted to quit after weeks 2 & 3 I wanted to throw in the towel and say "yeah this is not for me". But I didn't and it was a great feeling getting to the next run and the next one and the next one.

Take your time, don't go to fast, my jogging speed is really at what my fast walk is. But i don't care, you are running as long as both feet are off the ground at the same time Don't push to hard, if you go to fast you don't concentrate on your breathing, then you huff and puff and feel like you are dying. Take it slow

You can look at weeks ahead, but don't let them intimidate you, take it one run at a time.

I would download an app for your phone if you can, they have several different C25k apps out there. The one I used I had a Drill Sargent yelling at me to do my walking and jogging. there is the Zombie run that a lot of people love. Just find one that works for you

Afraid of re injuring yourself - I know the feeling, I have really bad ankles and that was a worry for me as well. Look online for some stretches that you can do for your legs to help prevent the tendonitis. Ankle rotations, calf raises and dips, write the alphabet in the air with your feet, toe taps. they all will help

And most of all, look for support in your friends and family, in your friends here on MFP, this discussion group we are all here to help and give advise. Just keep going even when you feel like you don't want to do another run. You will learn to love it!!
  • GabyBaby916
    Thank you for your responses!

I have a good pair of running shoes, so that part is covered.
    I have a couple of different C25K apps, but I'm interested in the "drill sergeant" one, since I'm former military, lol. That one might just be the kick in the butt I need! Would you be willing to share the name of the app?

I'm going to go out this weekend and just...do it. Slow and steady wins it!

Thanks again!
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    I started C25K around 230lbs and I'm just over 200 now and I run a couple miles pretty much every day. You just have to make a plan and stick with the program. I thought I would never be successful because I was never a runner and I was overweight. I just pushed through and completed the program as scheduled. If you really want it you can do it :)
  • GabyBaby916
    Thanks!
    I found the C25K app with the drill sergeant voice. That should be interesting.
    I also grabbed a couple others to mix things up and see which one works best for me.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Welcome to the world of runners!
    There's nothing I can add to the great advice given already. But I will repeat to take it slow. Don't worry about your speed. It'll happen in time.
    Keep us posted on your progress.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    The two things that keep runners of all levels motivated are:
    - A training plan (The Couch to 5k program is a great training plan)
    - A race (Find one 10-12 weeks out. Then make sure you will be able to run it by sticking to your plan)

Also, if you've been running a couple blocks a couple days a week, please stop calling yourself a wannabe/faux runner. You are a newbie without a plan. You are about to be amazed at all you will accomplish in the next few months.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Thank you for your responses!

I have a good pair of running shoes, so that part is covered.
    I have a couple of different C25K apps, but I'm interested in the "drill sergeant" one, since I'm former military, lol. That one might just be the kick in the butt I need! Would you be willing to share the name of the app?

I'm going to go out this weekend and just...do it. Slow and steady wins it!

Thanks again!

The App I used was the couch to 5k put out by Active.com. I think I actually paid for it $2.99 or so.. I liked the reviews on this one better than a lot of others, and you can choose your coach, hence the Drill Sargent..
    I see that you already found it but wanted to get you the name anyway..
    If you want a committed running friend, feel free to send me a friend request. I log daily and workout daily. I also limit my friends to I can give better attention to the posts!
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    The two things that keep runners of all levels motivated are:
    - A training plan (The Couch to 5k program is a great training plan)
    - A race (Find one 10-12 weeks out. Then make sure you will be able to run it by sticking to your plan)

Also, if you've been running a couple blocks a couple days a week, please stop calling yourself a wannabe/faux runner. You are a newbie without a plan. You are about to be amazed at all you will accomplish in the next few months.

^^ This. It's not speed that makes you a runner, it's mindset.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    I started C25K at around 196 pounds and am now 173 (I'm also only 5'2"). You don't need to worry about your weight at all. Take it slow and steady and don't worry about how fast or how far you go.
  • GabyBaby916
    Thanks again!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    My poor dog barely trots as she keeps pace. I've seen her glancing at me while we're "jogging". I'm pretty sure it is a look of pity. :grumble:

I laughed at this, my dog was actually WALKING while I was running! But now I can run up to 10km so speed has nothing to do with it. A good C25K program can make a big difference in keeping you motiviated. I used the NHS podcasts and loved them, Laura talks you through the runs and give you tips and encouragement, I used one of them last week and realised how much I had missed hearing her voice while I was running. Now I use Zombies! Run and a good playlist, I love listening to the story, it keeps my mind off how far I've run.

Good luck and have fun!