Ready to SCREAM!

Options
Mjkozki
Mjkozki Posts: 45 Member
I'm so tired of this. I'm fat-adapted, ketosis levels are between 2.3 and 3.0 and my blood glucose is in the low 80's, which means my GKI still needs work, but it's doing okay. I started this journey at 320.
Lost the first 20pounds like everyone else in the first four weeks, but that was in Feb., and I've been flucuating between 300 and 302 ever since. I did hit 297, for about twenty minutes, but that went away when I ate a fat bomb made with xylitol (And the headache that followed was horrible!).
So here I am, accepting the fact that my body is going to do what it wants to do, and I need to go with it. Sure, I could switch over to Dukan right now, put in 5 days and drop 10pounds with just protein, but I don't want to eat the sugars that he endorses. I'm forever Keto, and this is my LAST DIET, DAMMIT!
So, for the good news - I feel the difference. I know I've lost belly weight, because I can feel it, though it's not noticeable. But I'm sedentary, - really sedentary - and between my knees and my left foot, I can't put in the exercise that could really make a difference here. I look at all the videos of women who lost major amounts of weight in short -very short- periods of time, and now I'm wondering how true is this? I celebrate my loss, but dammit, this back and forth is really bugging me.

Replies

• Mjkozki
    Options
    Hi, and thanks for responding! I'm tracking, but it's frustrating trying to stay within the range. I actually think I'm eating too little, because I get stuffed so quickly on IF. Today, I decided to try the egg fast so I had 8 eggs with mayo and mustard (egg salad), a zip fizz and two slices of cheese. I had a BPC around 9am, and just finished an Isopure whey protein shake w/a Tablesp of cream, followed by three small Matcha Green fat bombs (matcha, cocoa butter, coconut oil, MCT oil, sweetener and a sprinkle of salt on top of each).
    I put all this in the calculator, and it came up short 120 calories, with the protein being over by 3, and the fat was under 10. I just can't wrap my brains around the idea of 1600 calories to lose weight.
    Please let me know what I'm doing wrong!:)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Mjkozki wrote: »
    Hi, and thanks for responding! I'm tracking, but it's frustrating trying to stay within the range. I actually think I'm eating too little, because I get stuffed so quickly on IF. Today, I decided to try the egg fast so I had 8 eggs with mayo and mustard (egg salad), a zip fizz and two slices of cheese. I had a BPC around 9am, and just finished an Isopure whey protein shake w/a Tablesp of cream, followed by three small Matcha Green fat bombs (matcha, cocoa butter, coconut oil, MCT oil, sweetener and a sprinkle of salt on top of each).
    I put all this in the calculator, and it came up short 120 calories, with the protein being over by 3, and the fat was under 10. I just can't wrap my brains around the idea of 1600 calories to lose weight.

How about a food scale? Did you put it on a food scale? I recommend using a food scale to folks who are not losing. You are likely eating more than you think. Calories in mayo, BPC and fat bombs add up quickly.

• Mjkozki
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

How about a food scale? Did you put it on a food scale? I recommend using a food scale to folks who are not losing. You are likely eating more than you think. Calories in mayo, BPC and fat bombs add up quickly.

Just picked up a food scale on Saturday, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It's so weird. It appears I'm taking in maintenance calories, because I can gain up to five pounds, and lose it all within 24 hours. Does that even make sense? I keep coming back to the same weight which I now refer to as the "setpoint."
    Sticking with the egg fast for the next two days to see if the calories are enough to make a difference.
  • Mjkozki
    Options
    I LOVE YOUR POST!! Thank you so much:) Your explanation of the GKI healing vs weight loss makes so much sense, and after today, I just might change my name to "Walking Fat Bomb!" ROFL
    I do believe you're right - my body is going thru a healing, as I have knee and joint issues, a belly, scars from three C-sections and a rouen-y procedure, and even today, I'm fighting with swollen feet (It happens when I miss more than a week of my daily ACV,tumeric, tartar and matcha drink). It usually goes away after a few days, which is a testament to its powerful ingredients.
    I also take serrapeptase and choline (alpha-GPC) 3x daily (last one right before bed), and it helps alot. Other than that, it's water, La Croix and a Zip Fizz every few days (I've tested it, and it's not affecting my glucose/ketones).

I don't do sweets very often, mostly because I LOVE my matcha fat bombs, which has a decent sprinkle of salt to bring out the sweetness of the 5 drops of stevia in a mini-brownie tray of 24. I eat two of these every other day.
    Other than that, it's a handful of pecans here and there (18), and I had a 1/4 cup of blueberries about a month ago. That's how faithful I've been to this new lifestyle. I can't see intentionally carbs ever again.
    I'd like to continue taking the MCT oil because of the energy and lack of brain fog, but that's at 9am, so I'm hoping that's okay. I'll transition over to leaner protein foods starting tomorrow when I go shopping.

Thanks again for the input - thanks to everyone. I left facebook a few months ago, because I grew tired of all misinformation and confusion of people who were - in effect - recreating their own version of the Keto lifestyle. I'm glad I'm here.

You don't have your diary open, so just guessing based on what you have said, here is a little food for thought...

1 - GKI - Glucose Potassium Insulin??? If you are diabetic, insulin resistant, pre-diabetic, or any kind of metabolic issue really, your body will prioritize healing above weight loss. So, as hard as it may be, this issues can take up to 6 months to fully correct with keto, and patience is key. You are literally growing new mitochondria in your cells and creating new metabolic pathways and at the same time your body is trying to repair the existing damaged metabolic pathways. This seems particularly likely in your scenario because of the huge swings you are experiencing from day to day. Going up and down 5 pounds is indicative of a considerable amount of inflammation and water retention. This is your body allocating available resources correctly for your long term health, even as frustrating as it may be, give it time, your body will complete the healing process and get back to weight loss.

2 - If you have excess body fat, then your body already has access to a "high fat" diet. You do not need to consume extra fat. Get plenty of protein, keep carbs within goal, and let fat fall wherever it falls based on appetite. You are already a walking fat bomb, you don't need to consume them. Your body is capable of metabolizing about 1% body fat per week, so cut out an appropriate amount of fat to offset that, and it may help to stimulate more fat metabolism, which may or may not actually reduce weight. Eggs are more fat than protein (based on calories) so lean proteins would actually be more ideal if you are trying to rely on body fat metabolism to fuel your ketones.

3 - Take measurements. The scale is only weight, not size, not health. You could be metabolizing fat but retaining water and seeing no change on the scale while your actual fat percentage is reducing which would be visible with measurements.

• VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Would you consider fasting? It has helped me jump over those plateaus like they were only speed bumps. Reading the Obesity Code changed my whole perspective on weight loss.
  • Mjkozki
    Options
    As a matter of fact, I'll be fasting on Friday! My last fast I went 36 hours, and lost nine pounds, gained back three. My ketones jumped up to 4.2, which freaked me out a bit, until I did some research. My levels right now are at 2.5, and I tend to get into ketosis pretty fast - thankfully- so I'll be working to make sure I'm up there on Thursday night.
    For me that's what is really great about ketosis - I have no hunger, no cravings and no desire for anything sweet! I watch the British Baking Show on Netflix, and it never bothers me, even while everyone is wishing out loud they could eat what they're seeing! lol
    I've only done water fasting (with coffee). Have you ever tried the 'Dry' fast?
    Would you consider fasting? It has helped me jump over those plateaus like they were only speed bumps. Reading the Obesity Code changed my whole perspective on weight loss.

• Mjkozki
    Options
    Sure thing! I appreciate all the help I can get.:) As a matter of fact, the menu had me eating eggs for lunch and dinner, but in light of tcunbeliever's post, I decided instead to eat a cup of broccoli and two pieces of tilapia (cooked in butter with garlic, salt, pepper and ginger. I'm drinking seltzer with this, and I think I'll still have those two Matcha fat bombs as snacks. They're not really sweet, but for some reason I just love the way the solidified cocoa butter and coconut oil feels in my mouth with that touch of "Pink" (salt).

I'll total what I'm eating now, after you check my diary. That way, you can tell me what I've been doing wrong. Thanks for asking! :)
    @Mjkozki would you mind opening your diary? It will be easier to make suggestions if we can see what you are eating on a daily basis. My diary is open as well if you'd care to peruse it. It's possible you are becoming too dependent on things like Fat Bombs and Shakes when you should be focusing on whole foods.

• VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    As a matter of fact, I'll be fasting on Friday! My last fast I went 36 hours, and lost nine pounds, gained back three. My ketones jumped up to 4.2, which freaked me out a bit, until I did some research. My levels right now are at 2.5, and I tend to get into ketosis pretty fast - thankfully- so I'll be working to make sure I'm up there on Thursday night.
    For me that's what is really great about ketosis - I have no hunger, no cravings and no desire for anything sweet! I watch the British Baking Show on Netflix, and it never bothers me, even while everyone is wishing out loud they could eat what they're seeing! lol
    I've only done water fasting (with coffee). Have you ever tried the 'Dry' fast?

No dry fasting. Sounds too dangerous. With water, coffee, and salt, fasting is hard enough. I can't imagine adding severe dehydration to the mix!

Just keep going with it. A little regain is normal as even with adequate water and salt dehydration happens.

Fasting is the key for me, I sure hope it works for you as well! (FWIW, 5 days is my longest, which was easier than my current 48 hour, 16:8, 48 hour plan!
  • Mjkozki
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that I don't need the BPC and MCT oil at all? The MCT and Coconut oil in my coffee has helped to both energize and clear my head in the morning. I have no appetite till 4pm (if then). And the Keto diet said the fat bombs were to make sure I got my macros in, but I don't need it anymore? It sounds like you're saying I just need to stay in the OMD lane and watch my carbs, no?
    Honestly, you’re mentioning fat bombs, BPC and MCT oil... you don’t need to add any fat if fat loss is your goal.
    I would stop with all of that. It’s completely unnecessary and preventing body fat loss.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    A protein goal of 80 is really low, even for someone sedentary. You might see better results if you increase that to 100 or 120 and reduce your fat goal to compensate for the increased protein.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you’re mentioning fat bombs, BPC and MCT oil... you don’t need to add any fat if fat loss is your goal.
    I would stop with all of that. It’s completely unnecessary and preventing body fat loss.

Agree with this completely. You need to be eating more real/whole foods and much less of these fat substitutions. I saw several days where you have over 500 calories of BPC alone.

Fat is not a goal when you are doing a Keto diet. Goal #1: stay under carbs, Goal #2: get adequate protein. Fat is to fill in the rest and to get you to an adequate amount of calories and to help keep you satiated.

The whole idea is for the body to burn fat, right? And you want to burn your stored fat, right? If you are eating copious amounts of fat, the body is going to burn that first because it is more readily available. I'm not saying don't eat fat, it's an important part of a Keto diet, just don't eat only fat. You don't need carbs, but you do need protein to help preserve muscle mass.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options
    And PS that is a huge NO to dry fasting. Please don't do this.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that I don't need the BPC and MCT oil at all? The MCT and Coconut oil in my coffee has helped to both energize and clear my head in the morning. I have no appetite till 4pm (if then). And the Keto diet said the fat bombs were to make sure I got my macros in, but I don't need it anymore? It sounds like you're saying I just need to stay in the OMD lane and watch my carbs, no?

Where are you getting this information from? If you are eating real whole foods and utilizing fats in your cooking like EVOO, Coconut Oil, Butter, Tallow, Lard, etc you don't need to be drinking/eating additional fats.

Take a look at my diary. I don't ever eat fat bombs or drink BPC and have zero issues meeting my macros through food.

And truthfully, I'd venture a guess that with as long as you've been doing Keto, you could easily fast until 4pm w/o the BPC. Once you're fat adapted, which I'm sure you are at this point, you don't need that crutch. Skip the BPC so that your body can actually burn stored fat during your daily fasts.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

If your body is already high fat, your diet doesn’t really need to be.
    The fat you burn can come from body fat and will only come from body fat if you don’t eat all the fat you need to burn.
    Being in Ketosis doesn’t cause fat loss. It’s completely irrelevant to losing fat. So the fact your GKI is what it is doesn’t do anything for a fat loss goal. I can push ketones way high too if eat fat bombs and MCT oil but I won’t lose any body fat at all that way. All my burned fat is coming in by mouth. I need to use some from storage. So I have to eat a little less.

z0tf18dwythc.jpeg
  • Mjkozki
    Options
    Where am I getting this info from? From facebook people mostly. I stopped listening to them, and have been trying to fend for myself ever since. I just checked your diary, and almost cried at the thought of being able to eat a friggin' tomato! lol When you get a chance, would you check my diary? It'll show you how off base I've been, especially as far as BPC and fat bombs are concerned.

I was able to fast till 5pm for about a month, but morning brain fog started setting in, and went back to BPC in the morning. I'm fasting this weekend, and Monday I'll be setting my window for 12-2pm. If I can go without the mental push til then, I'll be good. I've never been much of an eater after 5pm and I always feel like I'm forcing myself.

I really need to understand how to put this menu together PROPERLY.

Where are you getting this information from? If you are eating real whole foods and utilizing fats in your cooking like EVOO, Coconut Oil, Butter, Tallow, Lard, etc you don't need to be drinking/eating additional fats.

Take a look at my diary. I don't ever eat fat bombs or drink BPC and have zero issues meeting my macros through food.

And truthfully, I'd venture a guess that with as long as you've been doing Keto, you could easily fast until 4pm w/o the BPC. Once you're fat adapted, which I'm sure you are at this point, you don't need that crutch. Skip the BPC so that your body can actually burn stored fat during your daily fasts. [/quote]

• Mjkozki
    Options
    I just redid my goals, and here's what it's showing me:
    Calories-1515
    • protein - 6oz or 180g
    • fat - 2.9oz or 82g
    • carbs – 0.5oz or 15g
    Better? Am I supposed to be aiming for 1515, or does it matter if I'm 100 calories off?

A protein goal of 80 is really low, even for someone sedentary. You might see better results if you increase that to 100 or 120 and reduce your fat goal to compensate for the increased protein.