Need help with will power?

Options
cstehansen
cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
Many people struggle with will power when making dietary changes, whether those changes are for weight, blood sugar control, or some other reason. The way the main stream belittles the entire low carb WOE is to say even if it is effective, it is "unsustainable." Of course there are many of us who have eaten this way for years and there are even some who have done so for decades. The struggle seems to be strongest during the initial phase - first 4-6 months or so. There is also some struggle with certain periods of time like holidays - the first Thanksgiving doing LCHF or keto. Lots and lots of temptations.

There have been discussions in this group and others regarding how to overcome these urges/temptations. Although many of the ideas suggested are good, there is finally some scientific proof backing one.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40279-019-01085-x?fbclid=IwAR3LwoH256HfW4Mn7P3CaqsPYhRza6mlWjMc-qqOrbI1WWl0J_z88t-LPsU

This study shows resistance exercise and aerobic exercise were both shown to improve cognition, but in particular was a subcategory of cognition called "inhibitory control." That is just scientific speak for one's ability to overcome impulses whether it be to eat that donut or fire off that nasty email because you are pissed off.

I have known for a long time that exercise tended to help me, but I thought of it as more from a standpoint of distracting me from over-indulging. Although that may be another factor, it seems exercise affects your mind in such a way as to make your will power stronger and the impulses weaker.

Perhaps the next time you feel that temptation to indulge in that carbage, going for a quick walk around the block, doing some air squats or push-ups or some other quick bit of exercise might be the best thing you can do to overcome it.

Replies

• swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I notice that I am much less likely to overindulge if I'm exercising regularly, but always thought that it was from the guilt of not wanting to undo the benefit I was getting from the exercise! :)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    That's really cool. Good to know! Glad you shared that as it gives me added motivation for getting regular exercise in again. :)
  • VictoriaNWest
    VictoriaNWest Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    90 plus grams of protein a day is my best will power tool.
  • Hovis15351
    Hovis15351 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There is a need for willpower at the beginning to any changes we make to our lives e.g. relationships, jobs, where we live, were we shop, what we buy, meals we prepare. It is so easy to slip back to what we know and where we are comfortable, even if long term we know it is not right.

Once the change is embedded and we are once again comfortable, then going back is not such an easy option. Transitioning and letting go can be as hard and as long as we want to make it, rather than moving through that quickly.
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Gale, I cut and pasted your reply above into my list of motivations for LCHF. Thanks for your thoughts!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    That article reminds me of a Maya Angelou qoute: "When you learn better, you do better. "
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I do think the term of WillPower is fine as long as we keep in mind it is an emotional state.

I have never cheated on my wife but that was a one time decision before marriage. I am not sure I could say the same if I just depended on my WillPower. :) I see temptation as coming from inside of my mind (not external sources) so my decision to live vs keeping my old way of eating going forward for me was/is more powerful than my WillPower day after day I am sure. Living in a house full of carbs is easier for me to keep my decision to do Keto better than just willpower I am sure.

Being simple minded I learned 50-60 years ago to make a decision once and not change it until I ran across info that suggested making a new decision on the matter was in order. It helps lessen the power of impulses in my life except in it comes to buying tools and old tractors. :)

Looking at this study, I think a better descriptor would be impulse control rather than will power. Think about times like reacting quickly to something before really thinking about consequences. Things like responding to an email that has made you mad. Nowadays a great example would be the tweet storms on Twitter. Personally, I have never used it, but seeing the stupidity that gets out there from people that tweet before they think is a regular occurrence. Those people could use some impulse control.

In this group, it can have more to do with stress eating, boredom eating, etc. Decades of bad habits can be hard to break when a box of donuts is opened in front of you with someone innocently asking, "would you like one?" After decades of just taking one without thinking, moving to a state where there is cognition before reaction is where many could use some help.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    @cstehansen, thank you for your suggestion of using quick exercise as distraction from eating/ snacking. I think more of what keto foods I should eat and how much now.I have to plan my meals better.I want to stop night time snacks too. 👏🏽 🙂
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This was a good read. Thanks.