Keto+Intermittent fasting

nomorepuke
nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
Hello everyone! Tried to post on an Intermittent fasting but that group is haunted lol.
Anyway, Thanks in advance for reading and your advice. It’s a semi vent and any recommendations are welcome!
I had a baby 6 weeks ago. I was 125lbs pre pregnancy and gained a lot of fat. I was 201 lbs when I stepped on the scale right before giving birth. To be honest, I ate really bad and I take full responsibility of how lazy and impatient I was during my pregnancy.
Anywho, I went down to 177lbs was Igor after birth. Then 170 lbs. I’m stuck at 170 lbs.
I’ve never done intermittent fasting but by doing some research, it makes more sense since I’m 32 years old. Calorie deficit diet isn’t working for me because I feel like my metabolism is not as good as how it was when I was in my 20s.
My goal is to gain muscle mass and possibly compete at a physique competition and inspire other moms who are also struggling with postpartum body.
At this point, I can only do little workout at home like with a kettlebell. It’s the second day doing intermittent fasting, lost 3lbs already. I’m very hungry. Although I’m having a Keto meal as my OMAD meal. My question is does it get better? Is it true that hunger goes away after a while?
Thanks again!

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    First of all, are you breastfeeding? For the sake of my post, I'm going to assume that you are not.

Second, your baby is only 6 weeks old. Give yourself some grace. You spent 9 months growing a human, it's going to take some time to get back to your pre-pregnancy body. It sounds to me like you are trying to do too much at once. Keto is great. Exercise is great. IF is great. BUT You don't need to start doing all three at the same time. Take it slow. If you throw too much at your healing body at one time no good can happen.

You say that you are starving? Maybe that should tell you something. You don't have to do Keto to do IF, but being fat adapted on Keto does make IF so much easier. But you aren't fat adapted yet. If it were me, I would do strict Keto for a solid 30 days before even considering IF. You might actually find that you naturally start pushing back your first meal of the day without trying. After 30 days, if you want, you can then introduce IF. Most people start with 16:8. If you find yourself starving, listen to your body and eat. It's not a race.

Ultimately, a calorie deficit is going to be what leads to you losing weight and whether or not you achieve that through a reduced calorie SAD, through Keto, through IF, or through something else completely, consuming less calories than you burn is what will help drop the weight.

As for the exercise, by all means, KOKO, but remember, 80% of weight loss happens in the kitchen. Yes, exercise is great, but it's only a small part of the puzzle, diet should be your biggest focus.
  • nomorepuke
    First of all, are you breastfeeding? For the sake of my post, I'm going to assume that you are not.

Second, your baby is only 6 weeks old. Give yourself some grace. You spent 9 months growing a human, it's going to take some time to get back to your pre-pregnancy body. It sounds to me like you are trying to do too much at once. Keto is great. Exercise is great. IF is great. BUT You don't need to start doing all three at the same time. Take it slow. If you throw too much at your healing body at one time no good can happen.

You say that you are starving? Maybe that should tell you something. You don't have to do Keto to do IF, but being fat adapted on Keto does make IF so much easier. But you aren't fat adapted yet. If it were me, I would do strict Keto for a solid 30 days before even considering IF. You might actually find that you naturally start pushing back your first meal of the day without trying. After 30 days, if you want, you can then introduce IF. Most people start with 16:8. If you find yourself starving, listen to your body and eat. It's not a race.

Ultimately, a calorie deficit is going to be what leads to you losing weight and whether or not you achieve that through a reduced calorie SAD, through Keto, through IF, or through something else completely, consuming less calories than you burn is what will help drop the weight.

As for the exercise, by all means, KOKO, but remember, 80% of weight loss happens in the kitchen. Yes, exercise is great, but it's only a small part of the puzzle, diet should be your biggest focus.

Hello! Thanks for your response!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member

+1. Thumbs up.
  • nomorepuke
    kpk54 wrote: »

+1. Thumbs up.

Hello! Thank you for your response!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    You are only 6 weeks post-partum and it takes a full 12 to be totally recovered. I wouldn't worry about any weight loss stalls before you are beyond the 12 week time period because you are likely to continue to see inflammation and water retention swings between now and then. 3 lbs in 2 days is pretty much all water. IF if that works for you. Keto if that works for you. Don't have too steep of a calorie deficit because you need energy to heal. Get plenty of protein, you need those amino acids to heal, there is a lot of muscle damage with pregnancy/birth as well as a lot of stress and potential damage to tendons and ligaments.

Feed yourself adequate nutrition and if it were me I would not aim for anything more than half a pound a week loss before you get beyond the full 12 weeks. I should probably clarify - not more than half a pound of fat loss per week, you are probably going to see a lot of water loss, and some water retention off and on as you continue to heal.
  • nomorepuke
    You are only 6 weeks post-partum and it takes a full 12 to be totally recovered. I wouldn't worry about any weight loss stalls before you are beyond the 12 week time period because you are likely to continue to see inflammation and water retention swings between now and then. 3 lbs in 2 days is pretty much all water. IF if that works for you. Keto if that works for you. Don't have too steep of a calorie deficit because you need energy to heal. Get plenty of protein, you need those amino acids to heal, there is a lot of muscle damage with pregnancy/birth as well as a lot of stress and potential damage to tendons and ligaments.

Feed yourself adequate nutrition and if it were me I would not aim for anything more than half a pound a week loss before you get beyond the full 12 weeks. I should probably clarify - not more than half a pound of fat loss per week, you are probably going to see a lot of water loss, and some water retention off and on as you continue to heal.

Hello! Thanks for your response.