Veggie Carbs

leahk80
leahk80 Posts: 114 Member
Hello Everyone,

I'm getting conflicting info: Do we count veggie carbs as part of our allotment? I read somewhere that we need to get several cups of veggies in a day. I maybe eat 3oz of veggie a day, maybe up to 6oz but that is rarely.

Thanks

Replies

• Smaya29
    Smaya29 Posts: 106 Member
    Yes, you track the net carbs in veggies. You subtract the amount of fiber from the carbs. For example if a food contains 6g of carbs and 2g of fiber, you subtract 2g from 6g and your net carbs are 4g. Try to eat low carb veggies with more fiber like bell pepper, spinach, zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli etc.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    I know some of the experts say no and some say yes. I honestly don’t know why you wouldn’t. I personally track total carbs and just keep it under 50g and/or 10% of my total calories.
  • fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    I track everything and subtract the fiber. If veggies are your main source of carbs you should be completely fine for your net intake. I just like to see the numbers and how I’m doing since I do get some carbs from dairy too.
  • leahk80
    leahk80 Posts: 114 Member
    Thanks everyone!
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    fostersu wrote: »
    I track everything and subtract the fiber. If veggies are your main source of carbs you should be completely fine for your net intake. I just like to see the numbers and how I’m doing since I do get some carbs from dairy too.

This is what I do as well. I also log things like my coffee and Splenda.

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    I've been adding veggies to almost every meal and counting the net carb values. But even adding a handful of spinach, broccoli, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, ect. I still come up under 20 net carbs daily.

It would probably take a lot of (low starch) veggies to add up to over 20 net carbs.
  • booksnbrains
    booksnbrains Posts: 119 Member
    I think there’s some confusion about net carbs vs. total carbs, and I’ve seen some people avoiding veggies because they’re high in fiber (which is indigestible carbohydrates). It’s important to keep enough fiber in your diet, which is difficult in a no-grain diet. I don’t count fiber towards my daily carbs goat, just sugar.