Juno you like to lift

Options
Ok if I start a June thread?

Squats 5x5 @ 120
Bench press 5x5 @ 70
Assisted pullups 3x5 @ -115

I'm starting a small fat loss coaching group through Eat Train Progress, so hopefully I can lose some weight while rebuilding my strength! Wish me luck.

Replies

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,738 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting the June thread @amyinthetardis1231 !
    Hope all goes well! I've heard good things about it.

My shoulder is most of the way there. The physio says it's a bit weak and stiff, so he worked on it and then gave me exercises for it (resistance bands rotation inward/outward, cable rows, A and T on a stability ball, elevated planks).
  • angelab1210
    angelab1210 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new, just started last week.

Today's plan:
    Squats 65 pounds
    Bench 55 pounds
    Rows 50 pounds

I'm recovering from bilateral frozen shoulder (I was like a T-Rex for a couple of years) and lost a lot of upper body strength. I'm using the app but am modifying it because I haven't been able to lift the recommended weights. It feels pretty good so far. The main problem I seem to be having is that my left shoulder still can't externally rotate enough to grasp the bar for squats so I'm doing the machine (a no-no, I know but it's what I can do right now).
  • lkpducky
    Options
    @angelab1210 welcome! and I cannot even imagine what you are going through with TWO frozen shoulders! I thought I had trouble when I had just one a few years ago. I feel for you.
    Never mind machines being a no-no, right now you have to do what you can. Did you get physical therapy?
  • angelab1210
    Options
    Thanks! I'm back to full range of motion on the right but just can't quite get the left back to normal. Yoga and steroid injections - yay chemistry- helped more than PT. I also went to the rock climbing gym a few weeks ago (first time in a long time) and my left shoulder had a nice big pop.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    @angelab1210 is the shoulder pop a good thing or a bad thing? How are you able to do squats, or are those front squats?
  • angelab1210
    Options
    It was a good thing because I got a little more motion and a little less pain! I'm doing squats on the machine :( The front squats felt really awkward but maybe I should try again.
  • HannaMaeI
    HannaMaeI Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all!! I'm new to this group as well. I just started the stronglift 5x5 and I've been searching everywhere online for results on women. I see a bunch of men results but nothing that I can really relate to. I was wondering if anyone can share their result story/pictures with me. Does this program really work? Do you guys also incorporate cardio for fat loss?
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Welcome @HannaMaeI , good to see you here.
    As far as women's results specifically with SL5x5, I don't know - many women's lifting before-and-after photos in general are here but you'd have to comb through or post a question about who specifically used SL there
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Just started this program and loving it so far! I'll be doing my second B workout tonight.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    @chicbuc welcome! cool pic, is that the Color Run?
  • chicbuc
    Options
    It was actually just a powder paint fight at a concert festival my daughter and I went to, but it was a blast!
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Oh that's cool!
  • KBudser
    KBudser Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, new to this forum but have been using stronglifts for a long time and have had some great results in terms of recomp.

Anyone any advice on making gains with bench press/shoulder press? My upper body has always had really low muscle mass (massive issue when I played rugby) and Im really struggling with increasing by 1kg increments let alone the recommended 2.5kg! My progress seems “stalled” and would appreciate if any of you had any ideas. Diet wise im 40/40/20 P/F/C on rest days and 40/40/20 P/C/F on training days. I eat just under maintenance as im trying to do a little recomp.

Id really appreciate if you have any ideas, my husband also does the programme but doesnt really understand my difficulties with building muscle on my top half!
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Welcome @KBudser sorry I didn't post earlier to greet you. I wish I could advise you on shoulder press - I was down to adding half-pound microweights to my dumbbells! I did improve when doing a lot of back work (rows). Cool that you played rugby!
  • chicbuc
    Options
    KBudser, I almost tanked at 50 pound OHP Sunday. I can only imagine what 55 will feel like in a few days...lol. I feel your pain!
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Sounds like a bunch of us aren't thrilled with OHP.
    @chicbuc another cool profile photo! same concert festival?
  • chicbuc
    Options
    Nope. We actually did a night blacklight run on Saturday. Lol!
  • 1LadyKate
    1LadyKate Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm returning to strong lifts after a very long break. I have completed two workouts so far and I have my next one tonight. Im amazed at how much strength I have lost. And I hate OHP too!!
  • lkpducky
    Options
    @chicbuc that is so cool! that sounds like such fun!
    Welcome @1LadyKate how long was the break? you might be surprised how fast your strength comes back...?
  • chicbuc
    Options
    @lkpducky Yes!! I did NROLFW about 6 years ago and got in pretty good shape. I fell off the wagon and haven't lifted in years, but it all came back quickly! I started out with a month and half of NROLFW then got bored quickly and started SL on June 12. I'm squatting more than I did back then in just a few weeks, and I'm amazed...from 55 to 80 lbs in 2 weeks! I attribute it to pushing myself on this program and adding weight every workout.