Calories vs Macros

liketoyak
liketoyak Posts: 207 Member
Hi all, This may have already been discussed in a previous thread but here's my question.
If I'm WAY below my calorie count but not hungry and have room left on my marcros is it recommended I eat to up the cals? And by way below I mean 600 calories?
I'm finding sometimes with the IF I have trouble getting it in.

Here's why I ask. I'm worried about teaching my body to only need that low amount of calories and screwing up the metabolism way more.

Please help all wise knowing keto peeps.

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    It's crazy isn't? Before Keto I would have NEVER had trouble eating all of my calories, I would thought it was laughable. Like, hello? You didn't get fat by eating below your calorie level :) But Keto does amazing things to the body, especially when paired with IF. I do OMAD several days per week and really struggle getting my calories, so 1-2 times a week I try to eat 2-3 times to get my calories in. I'm a believer that if you aren't hungry, don't eat, but I also think that being way below your calories with any sort of regularity can be maybe not so great because you aren't getting your essential nutrients.

I wouldn't worry about it messing with your metabolism, if you are hungry or you need something your body will let you know.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Typically you need to be way under on calories 3 weeks before any kind of hormone shift or metabolic impact is going to occur. So, if you are under for a couple days or a couple weeks, then I wouldn't worry about it too much because your appetite should naturally increase as you adapt to your new way of eating.

Also, keep in mind that calorie counts are based on averages, and not everyone is smack in the middle of average (about 80% fall within 5 points of mean on a bell curve if I remember right). The point is, what your body needs may already be lower than average so it's best to listen to your body where food intake is concerned. As long as you are getting adequate nutrition and plenty of protein.

My only caveat to that is, if you have a history of thyroid or adrenal issues, that's about the only time I advocate eating up and not allowing more than about 3 days of super low calories. Simply because people with thyroid or adrenal issues are likely to have a hormone reaction much faster than the average of 3 weeks. And, if you do decide to eat up on calories, eating more protein is usually a good nutritionally dense option.
  • liketoyak
    Typically you need to be way under on calories 3 weeks before any kind of hormone shift or metabolic impact is going to occur. So, if you are under for a couple days or a couple weeks, then I wouldn't worry about it too much because your appetite should naturally increase as you adapt to your new way of eating.

Also, keep in mind that calorie counts are based on averages, and not everyone is smack in the middle of average (about 80% fall within 5 points of mean on a bell curve if I remember right). The point is, what your body needs may already be lower than average so it's best to listen to your body where food intake is concerned. As long as you are getting adequate nutrition and plenty of protein.

My only caveat to that is, if you have a history of thyroid or adrenal issues, that's about the only time I advocate eating up and not allowing more than about 3 days of super low calories. Simply because people with thyroid or adrenal issues are likely to have a hormone reaction much faster than the average of 3 weeks. And, if you do decide to eat up on calories, eating more protein is usually a good nutritionally dense option.

Thanks!
  • liketoyak

Thanks for helping clarify!