Fasting(ish) blood glucose levels

Options
zanyterp
zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
I just got my labs back from blood drawn earlier this week and my A1C is down (two years, year over year decrease)...while I was not in the diabetic or pre-diabetic range, formally, I had been bordering it for a few years. I would still like it lower, but I’m dead center on the average now (and I’m still battling evening sweet cravings. So not bad considering my eating the last quarter).
However, the dr did ask if I was fasting when I went in due to my glucose number being low (69). It had been 12-13 hours since dinner at the time of the draw, which did not need to be fasting....I just wasn’t hungry yet so hasn’t eaten, and I felt fine.
Some quick searches, I haven’t had time to do much more than a quick look (so I’m cheating and asking a group I trust), shows hits for high glucose but not on low. Has anyone else seen lower-than-average blood glucose numbers while doing Keto?

Replies

• VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That's one of the benefits. Look into Jason Fung. While he is a strong advocate for IF and EF, keto is ideal to use with fasting to reverse all manner of metabolic syndrome, especially T2D. However, BG isn't always so straightforward there's the dawn phenomenon, glucogenisis, etc factors to consider.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    Keto has brought mine down to the normal range. I am T2D, and I had 300+ on the fasting when I was diagnosed. I have never had "very" low readings, but I will have 90's to 120's depending on when I check it. My last A1C was 5.6.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    When I had bloodwork done last August it was at like 3 o’clock and I had been fasting for like 30hrs. My BG was low, in the 60’s or 70’s I think. My doctor was thrilled given that a few years prior I was diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome. As long as you feel fine when fasting I wouldn’t worry.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your comments and support. i will check more on dr fung's work on fasting impact on blood glucose