What's on your mind today?

Options

Replies

• MadDuck62
    MadDuck62 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling so hungry the past few days, which surprisingly isn't common when I'm dieting (I often want to eat more even though I'm not hungry). I looked at my macros on MFP and realized I've been so low on fat. It was 12% after lunch today, 15% yesterday, 17% the day before. I've been making up the difference mostly in protein (my carbs have been averaging just over 50%).

I looked up high fat foods and settled on hard boiling some eggs (I had them on hand, so no trip to the store required). They are roughly 63% calories from fat and almost all the rest from protein. I'm hoping this helps out.
  • Ketch_22
    Ketch_22 Posts: 12,711 Member
    Options
    MadDuck62 wrote: »
    I looked at my macros on MFP and realized I've been so low on fat.

I looked up high fat foods and settled on hard boiling some eggs (I had them on hand, so no trip to the store required). They are roughly 63% calories from fat and almost all the rest from protein. I'm hoping this helps out.

I love mfp for this reason. When something is off I can check my percentages. Everyone sets up their macros to suit them and it's kind of trial and error. In the end, to me the goal is to know when you are actually hungry and eat then and not when you simply want to. One of the learning curves is - what do I eat when I've already met my calorie needs and I am still hungry? In this scenario I drink a protein shake because I'm not a fan so I know if I'm having that I must indeed be hungry. In the past I'd have a ring ding :p
  • Ketch_22
    Options
    Since MadDuck62 mentioned this... I've been curious what is everyones take on eggs? If you go by macros you can never eat another egg. The cholesterol in 2 eggs is 374mg which exceeds the daily of 300mg for a healthy person without any other cholesterol for the day. I have chickens and eggs used to be a common breakfast. Curious to other's views on this.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,391 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Eggs are fine in moderation. The only problem I have is that they make me constipated lol 😈
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    This is why I count calories and I am learning that there is no "good" or "bad" foods. The daily food choices I make
    just needs to be within my calorie range and in moderation. I can't stick with a "diet" that won't let me eat eggs or chocolate. To be honest, I wouldn't be able to stick with it because it is not realistic to say I will never eat an egg again. And I don't want to live in a world with no chocolate. :)

Is macros something new? I have noticed a lot of people use it on MFP. I have a friend that went for weight loss surgery and the doctors taught her to count macros.

Regardless, I think the key is what will work for each of us and it's a healthy lifestyle that is balanced and realistic.
  • hil331115
    hil331115 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i am egg intolerant so I dont eat eggs all that often, but I think anything in moderation is ok.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I have no clue what I would do without my eggs. They fit all my other macros and keep me full until early afternoon. If I need a snack that’s high fat I try to turn to nuts or peanut butter on celery. Works well for me most of the time.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,391 Member
    Options
    KCJen wrote: »
    Is macros something new? I have noticed a lot of people use it on MFP. I have a friend that went for weight loss surgery and the doctors taught her to count macros.

Macros are just the three main nutrients: carbs/protein/fats.
    The rest are micros: sodium, fibre, vitamins etc.
  • Ketch_22
    Options
    This is why I count calories and I am learning that there is no "good" or "bad" foods. The daily food choices I make
    just needs to be within my calorie range and in moderation. I can't stick with a "diet" that won't let me eat eggs or chocolate. To be honest, I wouldn't be able to stick with it because it is not realistic to say I will never eat an egg again. And I don't want to live in a world with no chocolate. :)

Regardless, I think the key is what will work for each of us and it's a healthy lifestyle that is balanced and realistic.

Look in your Goals tab you'll see the nutrient column that's your macros (carb/protein/fat) and over to the right is the micros. For a healthy person cholesterol is typically 300mg or less.

I am not on any food diet or restrictions but my question is since people have been eating eggs for thousands of years it is not clear to me if the 372mg from 2 eggs is valid. Given- everything in moderation but even when I eat chocolate or drink wine I'm not blowing any daily macro/micro. Thought I'd ask in this forum since the web jury is questionable on this.
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    @Ketch_22, I read an article at some point (but no hope on remembering where) that indicated that there was actually no correlation between the cholesterol that we consume and the cholesterol in our blood that is bad for us. For a while, people assumed there was a connection because it made logical sense, but further studies don't seem to have borne that out. I don't think two eggs a day is unreasonable, and on the days that I eat them, I ignore the cholesterol overage. So far, I've turned out fine. ;)
  • Ketch_22
    Options
    @fitphoenix yes it's crazy thanks for noting that. My numbers always come back spot on and I was just trying to be proactive now that MFP has given me the data. I get over a dozen free eggs a day and I've been buying egg beaters because I'm concerned for my husband. It seems mad.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Eggs - I eat them pretty much every morning for breakfast and have for the last year. Cholesterol is 159 (down from 210) with a ratio of 3 (was also 3 at 210).

Macros - I don't focus too much on them, but find protein around 20 - 30%, fat around 20 - 30%, and carbs at 50% give me the best result in ter.s of energy and appetite control.
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,730 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eggs for dinner st least once a week two at one time I think all food is good in moderation
  • KCJen
    Options

Macros are just the three main nutrients: carbs/protein/fats.
    The rest are micros: sodium, fibre, vitamins etc.

Thanks! This helps with understanding this interesting topic : )
  • KCJen
    Options
    I set myself up with a goal of losing 2 pounds a week. I hit my goal this week. I am finally on the right track. I now need to get my schedule back on my treadmill routine. I am so excited :)

Anyone else have weekly weight loss goals?

• w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    _JeffreyD_ wrote: »
    My wife's dad passed away this week. It's actually a blessing, and he was ready to go at age 93. We are going to have a lot of company and food brought in by other people. Could be an interesting week of tracking. But I am not going to think about it very much while we celebrate a wonderful man's life.

So very sorry for your loss. Sometimes a celebration of life or family event takes precedence to counting calories. Reflect in the company of others who will reminisce and share in the life celebration of your wife's father.
  • hil331115
    hil331115 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    @_JeffreyD_ sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences to your family.
  • Ketch_22
    Options
    @_JeffreyD_ Very sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers to your family.