ANYONE DOING KETO WITH A BAD GALLBLADDER?

Options
san814
san814 Posts: 22 Member
My brother really wants to go on keto however he has troubles with his gallbladder sometimes and I was wondering if anybody here has a bad gallbladder but is successful? Also if there is are there any tips

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I don't have a Gallbladder and I do Keto. I will occasionally have some GI distress, but now that I'm 4+ years out from my surgery, it is much better.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Gallbladder is a fat digestion thing right - it's more active when you eat higher in fat?

He could try a high protein, moderate fat keto instead of the more typical high fat keto.
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    BlancheandSmooshyface Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I also don't have a gallbladder and when I first started doing Keto, I did have some issues with my digestion and Crohn's Disease. However, upon discussing it with medical professionals, I was advised to drink lemon water with my meals. Lemon water has something to do with the digestive system being able to break down the fat and something about "bile". Not being a medical professional, I don't really understand it all, however, I do know I haven't had the same problems with gas, bloating, diarrhea and cramping.
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    BlancheandSmooshyface Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Oh, almost forgot, they also suggested adding ginger or ginger tea to my meals but, since I don't like ginger, it went in one ear and out the other.
  • san814
    san814 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your help!
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I have been doing keto almost a year, though not with a bad gallbladder. Mainly due to not having one. I had the issues a very small amount of people get after GB surgery.. and it wasn't great for life. Then I started keto and funnily enough, the high fat diet made trips to the bathroom normal for the first time in over a decade. Sure, I sometimes have normal post-gallbladder surgery visits, but otherwise, it feels normal. 100lbs+ later and it's working for me.

Going from eating to being sick 10-15 minutes later and in the bathroom, many times a day, to keto which is a more normal sort of trip, was a bit like having a slice of regular life again.

I started keto on very high fat, like 70%+, and was on a high fat macro without issues for a long time. I'm now closer to 58-60ish but still have a pretty good bathroom schedule with ketogenic diets. The only time I really get sick is if I have something that has a tomato style sauce. I assume the acidic foods with oil trigger my dumping syndrome. I can mostly go out to eat without having to rush to the bathroom directly during dinner though. Gives me almost an hour normally. For those that don't know, that's a long time to be able to wait after eating, if you're a subset of people that get issues post-op.

I don't know if keto will work for your brother, but I hope whatever y'all find works! Good luck! 👍

If at all possible though, I hope the GP can find something that gets the function back to normal.. Having a gallbladder would be a dream.. life without one is just never as normal again.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    We have a bunch of gallbladder threads in Open Threads that might help.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10423197/open-threads-member-threads-on-low-carb-topics#latest
    They are clustered together. :smile: