This July I Will...

Options

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,987 Member
    Options
    I am focusing my art energies this month on diving deeply into portraits. I decided to do something I’ve never done before. Copy the paintings that I love. And then use what I’ve learned on another image to create an original.

I will copy a Master Artist’s portrait 🖼and/or
    create an original portrait 🎨each day of July.
    If I LOVE how it turned out, I will place a heart after it!
    July 1 🖼♥️ 🖼🖼🖼♥️🎨
    July 2 🖼🖼♥️🎨(part 1)
    July 3 🎨(part 2)♥️
    July 4 🖼♥️🖼♥️
    July 5 🎨+digital♥️
    July 6 Taking on-line class on Portraits l: Shadows & Lights - just what I need!
    🎨L🎨R🎨L🎨R🎨L (originals - quick sketches from references with L & R hand, then painted on some!)
    Blind contour 🎨L&R (kinda Picasso-Essie - deciding what to do with it - tried some things digitally)
    Overlapping images 🎨 4 drawings- half L half R - now working on it with mixed media

July 7 🎨♥️ Finished one of yesterday’s & I like it a lot. Continuing to work on three other of the faces & the blind contour (that is wonky but I like it.)
    Watched more of the shadow & light class videos.
    Last night, late at night, I made a fun, playful “mark-making” piece (inspired by my class) in honor of our 40th anniversary & painted bits & pieces of it with my favorite colorful watercolors. When I stopped, and placed it up against the wall, I realized I’d subconsciously created a large heart Oh my gosh! ♥️

July 8 (so far): went through my Teacher’s curated Pinterest board & saved the ones I loved to my own (as a way to identify colors, marks, shapes, etc that each of us love.) very fun!

Went to art store & got supplies for the next portrait Shadow & Light lesson. We went to a coffee shop & WITHOUT THINKING I found a copyright free portrait & sketched it - quickly & well - right there!

This daily art practice does seem to be making a difference!

Now I’m looking at the sketch & imagining it in the 7 or 8 of the color palettes I identified as my favorites!! Decisions, decisions!

Not posting my art to the art group anymore. VERY nice people & I do compliment them on their work still, but I’d like to keep my focus on Discovering my Path.

Have a wonderful day, my friends!
    ♥️💕❣️🍀❗️💕
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 Not posting my art to the art group anymore. VERY nice people & I do compliment them on their work still, but I’d like to keep my focus on Discovering my Path.

I understand ... but maybe one day when you feel like it. You would share something here? I would love to see it (as someone with NO artistic talent, I am in awe of those who are,)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 Not posting my art to the art group anymore. VERY nice people & I do compliment them on their work still, but I’d like to keep my focus on Discovering my Path.

I understand ... but maybe one day when you feel like it. You would share something here? I would love to see it (as someone with NO artistic talent, I am in awe of those who are,)

@jan110144 Yes, I sure will! I’ve got some things I’m finishing up!
    AND I’m SURE you gave artistic talent. No doubt in my mind at all!

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,772 Member
    Options
    More progress on my July goal!
    1. 12 more meals are in the freezer, for a total of 24.
    2. I also got a lot more sewing done, but I’m not as far along as I was hoping to be by this time. I’m having fit issues.

Next week is even busier than this week. Yikes!!

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    Hi! I FINALLY have consistent internet access :) instead of waiting for a few moments of access when on a connected bus or in a resaurant. I have been watching all of your progress from afar but haven't had a chance to respond until today. Spent last week in June camping with grandkids, one day home to pack, one day in the air, 2 days in Rome, 7 days on a European cruise, another day in Rome to recover and two more travel days and I'm feeling pretty good! Tomorrow I get my grandson to stay here for a week and then I get a week off before the next grandchild comes for a week. What a summer this has been B) Lots of surprises, especially my daughter asking me to go on a July cruise with her with only a few weeks in June to prepare.
    Anyway...July 2 in Rome was my best walking day and I came 41 steps short of 24,000 steps. Also had 52 floors and 413 active minutes. Whew! I survived!!! Thank heavens I'd been practicing on my hills here. The hills are no steeper there, but keep going up (or down) for what seems like for.ever!!!

So I'd like to welcome newcomers here @hallene @bigredted2 and Stripeness . I hope you're finding this site as helpful as supportive as I have.

@themedalist , it's good to hear that your dad is recovering and that meditation is helping you with stress management during the difficult time following his stroke.

@77tes I had to laugh when I read about "fit issues". Hopefully you are referring to the way the clothes fit and not that you're throwing fits because they're being difficult! (sorry, I just couldn't help it :D)

I decided to start my July goal now that I'm home and can start some kind of routine. Instead of trying to force myself to go to bed earlier (it's really hard, folks!) I am going to set my alarm for 7:00 and get up earlier. Maybe I will be tired and ready to go to bed earlier then. This morning I woke up at 5:40, got up and the day has felt so wonderfully long. The morning seemed to go on forever and I think I'll be ready for bed before 11 tonight. I will do this for the next two weeks and see if it's something I want to continue. I hope to get more accomplished during the day. Besides my grandson will be up by then, I'm sure, and be ready to go.

I'm going to quick hit send before I lose this message. I hope you're all doing well. I'd love to hear how things are going for everyone. You've made it to the half way mark. Two more weeks to go! You can do this!!!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    I am focusing my art energies this month on diving deeply into portraits. I decided to do something I’ve never done before. Copy the paintings that I love. And then use what I’ve learned on another image to create an original.

I will copy a Master Artist’s portrait 🖼and/or
    create an original portrait 🎨each day of July.
    If I LOVE how it turned out, I will place a heart after it!
    July 1 🖼♥️ 🖼🖼🖼♥️🎨
    July 2 🖼🖼♥️🎨(part 1)
    July 3 🎨(part 2)♥️
    July 4 🖼♥️🖼♥️
    July 5 🎨+digital♥️
    July 6 Taking on-line class on Portraits l: Shadows & Lights - just what I need!
    🎨L🎨R🎨L🎨R🎨L (originals - quick sketches from references with L & R hand, then painted on some!)
    Blind contour 🎨L&R (kinda Picasso-Essie - deciding what to do with it - tried some things digitally)
    Overlapping images 🎨 4 drawings- half L half R - now working on it with mixed media

July 7 🎨♥️ Finished one of yesterday’s & I like it a lot. Continuing to work on three other of the faces & the blind contour (that is wonky but I like it.)
    Watched more of the shadow & light class videos.
    Last night, late at night, I made a fun, playful “mark-making” piece (inspired by my class) in honor of our 40th anniversary & painted bits & pieces of it with my favorite colorful watercolors. When I stopped, and placed it up against the wall, I realized I’d subconsciously created a large heart Oh my gosh! ♥️

July 8 (so far): went through my Teacher’s curated Pinterest board & saved the ones I loved to my own (as a way to identify colors, marks, shapes, etc that each of us love.) very fun!

Went to art store & got supplies for the next portrait Shadow & Light lesson. We went to a coffee shop & WITHOUT THINKING I found a copyright free portrait & sketched it - quickly & well - right there!

This daily art practice does seem to be making a difference!

Now I’m looking at the sketch & imagining it in the 7 or 8 of the color palettes I identified as my favorites!! Decisions, decisions!

July 9 sketched fairy woman & 2 faces (quickly)
    July 10 Copy of a colorful, zany portrait (great fun!)
    July 11 sketch/painting of 4 partial faces (a copy) w/ soft skin tones! Manipulated all of these digitally, too.
    July 12 Two detailed brainstorming sketches for project, both w/ original portrait
    July 13 made a painting of my palettes & mixing trays. Deciding if I should swap in some different colors. My palette of 11 years was for landscapes... now need more skin tones...
    AND I woke up with clear images of 3 paintings in my mind- remembered two :) and wrote them down. LOL I forgot to paint them today!

Have a wonderful day, my friends!
    ♥️💕❣️🍀❗️💕

• nebslp
    Options
    @77tes I apologize for my insensitive remark yesterday. I know how frustrating sewing can be and I hope things are going better for you. Nothing is worse than working hard on a project that gives you problems when you’re almost done. I was pretty punchy with jet lag and your comment struck me as funny at the time (no excuses though).

@MadisonMolly2017 I love that you woke up with paintings in your mind and actually wrote them down. I think a lot of inspiration comes while we’re sleeping but we forget our ideas when the day takes over. Do you have a specific time set to do your artwork daily or just do it as time permits?

I hope this will be a good week for everyone!
  • 77tes
    Options
    @nebslp, I loved hearing about your trip! I’ve found that fitness is a great help when traveling, so yay for hill climbing. Little did you know you were training for the Rome marathon! 😜 I like getting up early - especially in the summer. I hope that will help you be able to sleep earlier in the evening.

And as for my fit issues, @nebslp, I won’t say that a few temper tantrums were not involved. 🤣 For this jacket, I am taking an online class, so I was able to message the teacher and get some really great help. My problem is that I’m a much larger size across the back, but I have narrow shoulders and I small bust. I’m a size 22 across the back, but about a size 10 in front. I’m challenging myself to get my clothes to fit better instead of just wearing thing that are either too big in front or too small across the back.

@MadisonMolly2017 , I love your detailed work on your artistry. Your thoughtful practice is so inspiring!
  • 77tes
    Options
    @nebslp, I was not in the least offended! I chuckled and figured that you sympathized with what can be frustrating. 🤗
  • nebslp
    Options
    My grandson is training me to get up early this week. I got up at 6:10 and he was already up 😲

I will use the following symbol to indictate bedtime before 11 : 😴, up with my alarm or before 7 : 🤩

July 13/14 😴. Set alarm for 7 but needed one more hour of recovery time. Slept almost 9 hours, in bed for 10! 😴
    July 14/15 🤩
  • nebslp
    Options
    @77tes You are inspiring me to sew for myself again. I have a dress and a shirt pattern that I bought a few years ago but never used. Traveling with a millenial has made me realize how I need to update my wardrobe and start wearing cute skirts and dresses, something I haven’t done for 25 years. I also will lose 20 lbs this year. Let the transformation begin!
  • 77tes
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @nebslp, I'll bet you are still feeling the effects of jet lag, so those 10 hours of sleep must have been most welcome to your tired body.

You totally should make yourself some cute clothes. I've made some gifts and I am getting quite the historical wardrobe, but so far I have only made one blouse for me to wear for everyday life. :D
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Dear @77tes & @nebslp !

Thank you for all of your posts & for your kind comments about my art.

I played with three different turquoises with metallic gold & flecks of red orange today.

Learning a lot about controlling the water to paint ratio!

You are both inspiring me to sew something for myself as I did back in my teens!!

Big hugs,
    Maddie!
  • 77tes
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 , I went to one of the places where you paint and drink to celebrate my daughter’s birthday on Sunday, so I have a bit more understanding of water to paint ratio. You should sew, too! Think of it as another medium for your art. BTW, I love turquoise!

q6txhewcv1ht.jpeg
  • nebslp
    Options
    I will use the following symbols to indictate bedtime before 11 : 😴, up with my alarm or before 7 : 🤩😍

July 13/14 😴. Set alarm for 7 but needed one more hour of recovery time. Slept almost 9 hours, in bed for 10! 😴
    July 14/15 🤩 😴 😍
    July 15/16 😴 😍
    July 16/17
  • nebslp
    Options
    @77tes beautiful pictures! I don't know anything about painting techniques but I know what I like when I see it.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 , I went to one of the places where you paint and drink to celebrate my daughter’s birthday on Sunday, so I have a bit more understanding of water to paint ratio. You should sew, too! Think of it as another medium for your art. BTW, I love turquoise!

q6txhewcv1ht.jpeg

Wow! Such fun @77tes ! Andyou all did amazing!!!
  • nebslp
    Options
    I will use the following symbols to indictate bedtime before 11 : 😴, up with my alarm or before 7 : 🤩😍

July 14/15 🤩 😴 😍
    July 15/16 😴 😍
    July 16/17 😴 😍
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    I am really enjoying your posts and tracking your progress this month. @77tes, what a lovely painting and good for you for exploring another creative medium. @MadisonMolly2017, I'm so impressed with how you continue to advance your art skills each month. @nebslp, you know your sleep goal resonates with me! And I'm glad you had a good trip! Setting an alarm for 7 is certainly one tool for getting to bed earlier. @jan110144, how's the meditation going? And, @PackerFanInGB, how's the meal planning going?

I'm doing OK...learning as much as I can about strokes so that I can better help my father. I'm going back to Virginia tomorrow for a long weekend to see both my parents. I haven't seen Dad in 3 weeks and I'm looking forward to seeing how he's progressing. I'll be making monthly trips through the end of the year and staying with my brother's family. He lives about 10 minutes from the rehab center. My brother said "If there's anything you need to be more comfortable and feel like it's home, let me know." So I had a guitar delivered. :) My anchor habits of meditation, walking daily, and playing the guitar can be done in Virginia as easily as New Hampshire.

I'm still logging my food as accurately as I can. If it doesn't have a scannable label on it, it goes on the digital scale and gets weighed in grams. I'm down 6 pounds since March. A snail's pace for sure, but it's been very easy to trim 300 calories off my daily intake and I've hardly noticed it. For me, accurate logging works beautifully.

@themedalist
    Thank you for your update! You are SO inspiring! Love that you had a guitar delivered. Our passions, habits, hobbies are Important; they enrich us!

A 6 pound loss is AWESOME! Slower the weight loss, the longer it’s lost :)

I wish you, your dad, and your whole family comfort & speedy healing. ♥️💕♥️🦋