Type II and starting keto

Options
2»

Replies

• zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    @akscooter1: in addition to the Hi-Quest & Real Good options, you can try a cream cheese & egg pizza dough (I use this as my base....https://lowcarbyum.com/pizza-casserole-gluten-free/#wprm-recipe-container-22937......though, i would recommend @Sunny_Bunny_'s sausage crust first). i think i need to find a cast iron (?) pan to play with...
  • Glazed_and_Confused
    Glazed_and_Confused Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    My husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 4 months ago (A1C was over 10) and started doing keto and IF. He just got his A1C rechecked and he's at 5 now. He's lost over 70 lbs and all his other blood work has also improved (he is considered morbidly obese so I'm not sure how typical his results are compared to someone who needs to lose a lot less).
    I need to lose about 40-50 lbs and my weight loss has been significantly slower. I am getting my blood retested next week so we'll see how I fared. I am not diabetic but have been in the pre-diabetic range most of my life.
  • 072499tt
    072499tt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    akscooter1 wrote: »
    Hello, I'm here as the mother of a obese 13 yr old that is pre diabetic. Can you tell me any of your sons favorite low carb or no carb products? My son loves pizza so I need to find a way to be able to include this in his diet.
    Thanks

Sausage crust pizza is my favorite!
    zkbsvihwcqcq.jpeg

Start by pressing breakfast sausage into a cast iron skillet. Go up the sides a bit because it shrinks as it cooks.

43427ped9nqw.jpeg

Season it with garlic powder and Italian seasoning and bake in oven til done. Then top with marinara and toppings and bake again til done.
    It’s so good. He will likely think it’s better than regular pizza.

ummmmm this looks amazing! How kind of you to post this. Will certainly try it!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    akscooter1 wrote: »
    Hello, I'm here as the mother of a obese 13 yr old that is pre diabetic. Can you tell me any of your sons favorite low carb or no carb products? My son loves pizza so I need to find a way to be able to include this in his diet.
    Thanks

I'm so sorry, I've been MIA for a month as sooo darn busy with stuff and life and missed your question! So though I know others have answered I'll add my bit. Mainly what to watch with kids and keto is that they don't mix the high carb food with the high fat stuff you can eat on Keto. It just adds weight as it means instead of becoming a fat burner you are just eating high carb and high fat which is a recipe for disaster and how many of us got here in the first place!
    It is really really hard with young kids though and they have to want to do it. That was the trouble with my youngest and also I would take him to the doctor as I was concerned about his weight and constant weight gain and would be told to follow the standard diet and I knew it wasn't working. I kept saying he was following what he was told to eat (he was young enough to monitor!) and yet he was either not loosing or gaining.
    I got seriously fed up with always being looked at as if I was failing mother who couldn't/wouldn't understand how to follow a diet. Seriously, not able to follow a diet.........! Anyhow I was convinced that the answer was in his reaction to carbs as it made no sense that he gained so much weight so easily. Then I read the Diet Delusion by Gary Taubes. Goodness that was amazing and it all made sense to me. Unfortunately less sense to my son who was by now in his 20s!
    So life continued with me nagging and trying everything to encourage him to loose weight until eventually he was Type 2 and had sleep apnea and was no longer allowed to drive. I managed to persuade him to try Keto properly and he lost weight, reversed the type 2 and stopped the sleep apnea and was able to drive again. Now he still gains weight frightening quickly but at least he knows now and acknowledges why and can do stuff to loose weight when his head (like the rest of us) is in the right place.
    Key for his weight loss was actually bread! So that he could go to work and take a 'normal' packed lunch. We used and still use the almond bread from the diet doctor site made into rolls. We use low carb pasta and rice made from Kojac flour and there are some okay pizza recipes on the diet doctor site as well.
    It's hard though for a 13 year old but it's not an easy life being overweight either. Good luck.
  • vaderhater22
    vaderhater22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed type 2 about 3 months ago with an A1C of 8.4 After a little research I decided to go keto. It's actually more dirty keto/low carb. I don't worry about specific macros or organic free range anything. I left behind breads and pastas and sugars and starchy vegetables and otherwise eat fairly normal. Lots of veggies. Not shy about bacon cheeseburgers without the bun. Lots of eggs and avocados. Using almond flour or coconut flour for baking. I've lost over 25 pounds and lowered my A1C down to a respectable 6.1. And I haven't really been working out a lot. I can only imagine if I drag my lazy butt out to run again. My keto might be dirty but it has really cleaned up my health so far. I love it.