Advice about rest days.

Options
fanncy0626
fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
I have a question about progressive overload with my Kettlebell. In the past I did stronglift 5x5 but have become a snowbird so travel makes using the Kettlebell very convenient. I’m a 62 yo woman I weigh about 130# with around 20% bf. I follow Pavel Tsatsouline’s Strongfirst program with tweeks that work for me. I am in the middle of the 5 week program and am transitioning from swinging my 40# Kettlebell to my 45# Kettlebell by swinging the 45 every 4th set. I Swing my Kettlebell everyday if possible. Pavel does say that the good thing about the Kettlebell is that you can Swing it everyday. But, swinging this heavier weight is really challenging. I wonder if I would progress quicker if I had rest days or if it would hurt my progress. My question is do I need a day of rest for muscle recovery now that I am swinging this heavier weight? 5# is a huge weight increase and I know I might have to repeat this 5week program. Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    Nobody knows your body better than you, so do YOU feel like you need a rest day? Bear in mind, it's not a race and there's no trophy for powering through without a rest day. If you feel like you need a rest day, take one (as long as it doesn't turn into a rest week...then a rest month...)! If you're REALLY on the fence and are going to feel crappy for taking a day off (I know sometimes just the mental aspect of being off when you "should" be on is a total mindf*ck), maybe take that day and back way off - do your workout but significantly lighter, eg, use a 30# instead of the 40-45#. Play with it a little bit and see what works, what feels good for you.

BTW, IMO it's a good call on your part to just go up in weight for 1 set at a time rather than trying to make the jump for the entire workout. Take it at your own pace - even if you're not following the program to the letter, who cares? You're doing this for you so make it your own!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    @JBanx256 thanks for sharing your knowledge! I don’t have anyone else that I know is doing this Workout so I feel like I’m alone on an island all by myself. Thanks for your response!
  • lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Fancy0626 I don’t have any input about rest days, although I do need them after a kettlebell session. I am 62 as well and just getting back into lifting-25# feels HEAVY! I can’t imagine swinging 40#-so bravo, and thanks for the inspiration. Also love your GSD pic, gorgeous!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    lrsirius wrote: »
    Fancy0626 I don’t have any input about rest days, although I do need them after a kettlebell session. I am 62 as well and just getting back into lifting-25# feels HEAVY! I can’t imagine swinging 40#-so bravo, and thanks for the inspiration. Also love your GSD pic, gorgeous!

Thanks! I love your GSD picture as well! Good luck with the 25 pound kettle bell!! This exercise is amazing for the whole body!