Lowest back strength, and stretching for inline skating

yirara
yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
edited July 2019 in Social Groups
I picked up inline skating again and found that my lowermost back is not quite strong enough to skate in a crouched down position for too long. I'm talking the area from waist to tailbone basically. Also, when I crouch down my bum, kind of outside area, and outside upper thighs get really tight. Office workers' syndrome I guess. So I need some good exercises to strengthen and stretch this area.

I have a few kettlebells and about 60kg of weights with barbell/dumbbells, and bodyweight. No other kit, for example to do hip thrusts (not sure my bed pillow will do for that). I can't really do planks as those mainly hit my arms, and for some reason this leads to a drop in blood pressure and dizziness. So I can't hold them for long enough for anything to happen below my waist. I don't feel any discomfort on my abs. I'm far from my lightest, but they are visible. I build muscle very quickly for a woman, but are below average strength-wise.

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    You might want to take a speedskating lesson at the rink in the winter. Correct position is deep through the knees but pelvis more or less upright upright, and bend over at the belly button. If you bend over from the hip there will be too much strain on the lower back for long distances. Think of tucking your pelvis under, and folding in a line across the belly button. In the winter, when they have marathon skating competitions on TV take a look at the position of the top marathon skaters.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Thanks a lot. That's what I'm trying to do, but if you're all legs (small and short abdomen) then bending from the belly button also means that my ability to breath is somewhat impaired. And I lack the strength to stay in that position for longer, having a naturally strong lordosis. I do train strength, mind. When I first starting training strength years ago I 'grew' 2cm simple because my spine was a bit less curvy. :D
  • acpgee
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:PSM_V48_D196_Speed_skating_position_of_the_body.jpg

You see here the pelvis is actually more or less upright with bend just above the pelvis.
  • acpgee
    This is also great position. He is very deep through the knees so this would require a ton of quad strength.

http://www.inlineplanet.com/10/04/tuning-technique.html