Living the Lifestyle Tuesday 7/9/19

Options
Jimb376mfp
Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
I see we are missing LTL roster for this week. Summer vacays?

I will add a topic that I was thinking about myself.

Topic, What exercise have you participated in IN YOUR LIFETIME?

As we age we change our chosen exercise and what do you do now and BACK THEN! I went back over my lifetime and wonder what I could if I tried?

Replies

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Sorry. I have been on travel.
    We still have Wednesday and Friday available.

Monday - imastar (Derrick
    Tuesday - GavinFlynn1 (Gavin)
    Wednesday -
    Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
    Friday -

Today's Topic:
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    Going back to my childhood I remember being active in many sports either organized or just in the neighborhood. Baseball, basketball and football was always year round with friends.

In high school I tried wrestling in Iowa. First experience to lose a few pounds to “make weight”. Mostly remember to sweat, lose water weight, weigh in then go eat!

College was not on my list of activity for exercise. I drank beer!

As an adult I remember trying in my 20-30s to attempt tennis, handball, office softball games, golf. The games were always followed by drinking beer!

In my forties my exercise was to lose weight by walking, stationary bicycle and dreaded it.

After joining WW 2013 at age 65 I tried: gym aerobics classes (@376 Lb my ankles couldn’t take it), found water aerobics, walking, swimming laps. Pickle Ball, kayaked (once), kettle bell (once), Tai Chi, yoga, chair yoga,

Why am I going down memory lane? Because my current activity is aqua aerobics and short walks to take the dog for 10-15 minutes maximum.

Now at age 71 I have a leg that bothers me. My balance is bad. My
    Water aerobics is more socially formed than a real workout.

I know I need to lift some weights and/or try something different.

How do you exercise now?
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Bike riding was something I did consistently as a kid. It was my form of escape. It remains my first love ;-)

Running didn't happen until my late 20's as my asthma prevented doing more than about 1/4 mile. Once I got on better medications, then I could run. I've had some runs where everything felt at ease, but I never enjoyed running as much as biking. But running was something that takes a lot less gear to do. Handy when traveling. But arthritis in my left knee has put an end to any running. I miss seeing my running buddies.

I learned to downhill ski in my late 20's. Loved zooming down the ski hills. Didn't do as much skiing after we got married because I moved further from the closest decent ski hill. I think the last time I did downhill skiing was in 2003. We took a trip up to Lutsen, MN. Very nice skiing for the Midwest but it is a LONG drive. Now I'm too paranoid about falling and hurting my knees.

I've always enjoyed hiking. Got more involved in it when my dad was still alive and he joined a hiking club. His club hiked every Sunday no matter the weather. I still want to finish hiking all the Ice Age Trail segments but bike rides keep getting in the way. I've done all the segments that are closer to Illinois. Now I need to plan a 3-4 day trip to make it worth all the driving.

I've always liked being in the water. When traveling with my parents as a kid I always insisted on a motel with a pool! Finally took formal swim lessons in 2002 to prepare for my first triathlon. I've done open water swims up to 5K. Haven't been in the pool for a while. This biking stuff keeps taking priority!

Weight training has been on and off most of my life. Been much more consistent the past few years. I know that it is necessary as I get older to keep my independence.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I grew up hiking and camping. I pretty much lived outdoors until I joined the Navy. Hiking was always a HUGE part of that.

I played football in school, albeit, not very well. But, I was constantly working out to support that effort.

I used to be a very strong swimmer - my only truly natural athletic ability. I was quite good. Then, as often happens, life pulled me in a different direction; I've never gotten back to it, except for a short, but gratifying period in the Navy.

In the Navy, I became an avid runner, which I continued until an Achille's Tendon injury sidelined me for a year. At the same time, I suffered a collapsed arch on the other foot. So, my running days pretty much ended. I truly miss running.

I am thinking of returning to swimming. There are several adult programs in the San Diego area, which allow for older individuals to regain their skills and even compete. I like to compete. I like swimming. I would have a LOT of work to do to get back to that level. I am very interested in doing it.