What's different this time?

13»

Replies

• Skycosmo
    Skycosmo Posts: 4 Member
    I finally decided to get the gastric sleeve surgery because I knew I wasn't able to do it on my own. Everytime I tried, my starting point was always higher. I have at least 150-180lbs to loose to be in a "healthy" zone again. I'm almost two months out from surgery and down 44lbs. So it's working. I'm logging everything I eat and sticking to 900-1000 cals a day (per my doctor's recommendation). I've even started water aerobics 1-3 times a week and I'm feeling better already. It's a long and slow process but one I'm committed to this time around.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Skycosmo wrote: »
    I finally decided to get the gastric sleeve surgery because I knew I wasn't able to do it on my own. Everytime I tried, my starting point was always higher. I have at least 150-180lbs to loose to be in a "healthy" zone again. I'm almost two months out from surgery and down 44lbs. So it's working. I'm logging everything I eat and sticking to 900-1000 cals a day (per my doctor's recommendation). I've even started water aerobics 1-3 times a week and I'm feeling better already. It's a long and slow process but one I'm committed to this time around.

@Skycosmo

Welcome to LL

I do not have a rule against people joining who have had WLS. I would try to talk anyone out of it but that would be in hopes that the decision was considered very carefully as I am sure it was with you. I can only walk in my own shoes so I do my best not to judge these kinds of decisions.

My big concern is that you feel the sleeve is making your weight loss possible. People gain weight with the sleeve so I would like to encourage you to believe you are at least MOSTLY doing this on your own and the sleeve is a tool. I think it is dangerous to think the sleeve is doing most of the heavy lifting. There are no real shortcuts or solutions outside of ourselves.
  • MatthewRuch
    MatthewRuch Posts: 165 Member
    edited October 2019
    What is different this time? For me it is that EVERYTHING I do is public. ALL my weigh ins are posted not only here but on Twitter and elsewhere.

Instead of doing everything alone and in seclusion, by building a large community of like minded individuals around me, it has become a self perpetuating circle of inspiration and accountability. For me it is important to find those who are of a similar mindset.

By surrounding myself with highly dedicated and motivated, accept no excuses type of people it serves to propel me higher and farther than I could achieve on my own.

Aside from that I also have a very varied program of exercises that broke me out of the cardio focused mold that I was in in the past. That keeps my body from ever acclimating to exercises and always ramps up the challenge.

So my program is DDP Yoga, Personal Training, Serious weight lifting, Aqua Zumba and walking when I am not doing any of the other listed here.

When I say yoga, it is NOTHING like what people associate the word yoga with.

Here is a timelapse of my session on thursday.

https://youtu.be/Mhny-pJhGTY
  • razzyjazz
    razzyjazz Posts: 119 Member
    What’s different for me? I just had a baby 10 months ago and I said enough is enough I want to be around to enjoy my kids. I also wanted to feel good about myself and show my two older girls that there mom can change mine and their lifestyle for the better. I was also tired of seeing all these people on social that lost weight and wished it was me.
  • michne16
    michne16 Posts: 538 Member
    I'm doing it for my health and that's never been the main reason. Obesity health issues such as heart problems diabetes, etc., were just something that I may one day develop and now that I have NAFLD and osteoarthritis in my knee I know for certain that I don't want to develop any more issues. That for me has made the biggest difference. The other difference is that I am taking steps to deal with my issues with food from a mental health standpoint and I am working on establishing better habits. Sometimes these habits are the only thing that save me from going off the rails but that's their purpose. I'm still a work in progress, but I have made changes that I feel are sustainable.
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Satisfiedwithbetter Posts: 970 Member
    michne16 wrote: »
    I'm doing it for my health and that's never been the main reason. Obesity health issues such as heart problems diabetes, etc., were just something that I may one day develop and now that I have NAFLD and osteoarthritis in my knee I know for certain that I don't want to develop any more issues. That for me has made the biggest difference. The other difference is that I am taking steps to deal with my issues with food from a mental health standpoint and I am working on establishing better habits. Sometimes these habits are the only thing that save me from going off the rails but that's their purpose. I'm still a work in progress, but I have made changes that I feel are sustainable.

I can totally relate. The best part about our habit brain is once we train it to do what we need to do, it helps us stay the course. You got this!
  • denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    I have no problem losing weight. I've done it twice before, losing about 100 lbs each time, only to put it back on because I let stress get to me and used food as a soother. When I'm committed to losing weight, I am pretty compulsive about sticking with it (the old "all or nothing" mindset). What's different this time is that I've been told I'm prediabetic, and I WILL NOT let myself become diabetic. That means that yes, I'm going to re-lose that 100 lbs (plus) for the third time, but this time I have to make sure I keep it off and limit refined sugar for good.

In the past, my husband has joined me on the weight loss journey, but this time he's not, and that's ok. Every time he offers junk food, I just say "sorry, I can't" because my health is dependent on following through with a healthier lifestyle. In the last two months, I have indulged in junk food only twice. Those were for special occasions (birthday and Thanksgiving), and I've just went with way smaller portions.

The real tests will come with stress and/or depression. Typically self-care is the first thing I throw out the window. I have to be ready for the inevitable and have a plan to keep putting my health first. I don't HAVE a plan yet, but I will. Soon :wink:
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I am the queen of “yo yo every Monday morning “ starting a diet!...I do not have diabetes but I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol both controlled with medication....I have also had both knees replaced and a shoulder repaired....I wish I had decided to get serious about getting healthy a long time ago!...I might not have been a very healthy young woman but I am going to be a rockin’ older one!...I am so determined to get this weight off and not waste the rest of my life....if you suffer from depression,tell your doctor...I had very severe depression last spring and the meds I am taking plus losing weight have helped so much...good luck on your journey!...we are all here to listen,and to help and to share....
  • conniewilkins56
    I still have over 100 to lose
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    edited October 2019
    @Ver9nika those are very sensible and practical tips, thank you for sharing. I like your ideas so much I wrote them down and keep them close to me with thanks to you each time I read it.
  • conniewilkins56
    The difference this time is that I am actually doing it!
  • MissHw87
    MissHw87 Posts: 10 Member
    I’m a typical “I’ll start on Monday” I’ve done this for the past 3 years!
    I think the difference for me this time is that I realise that my weight Is having an impact on my little boy. I don’t have the energy or fitness to run around with him like I should. I want to be a good example to him.