Choice of gyms?

Options
StatChicBayes
StatChicBayes Posts: 350 Member
I have been thinking about working through the updated NROL for Women (Strong is the short title) or the 5 by 5 Lifts routine.

The 5x5 program seems to be vehemently against using smith machines and the updated NROLW does not mention them as a substitute for barbells (in reading various forums on strength training it seems that most are in favor of free weights/barbells over smith machines; any out there fans?

The issue is that my current gym has a smith machine, but not racks/cages for barbells. I joined this gym back in February rather than going to my university gym based on just how out of shape I was - they catered to an older clientele (I'm 57, but actually on the young side for their membership) and I was worried about knee issues at the time. It has been worth it as I have lost just over 40 pounds in a supportive environment and am now within 13 pounds of being at a healthy weight using a combo of cardio classes and strength training on machines (losing about 1.5 pounds a week, but have been able to not lose a lost of muscle mass thru strength training). I also discovered spin classes (I had been intimidated about them previously, but now find that they are one of the best for me in terms of cardio exercise for getting my heart rate up). I really enjoy the weight training and would like to do more on that front. Most of my prior experience had been with weight machines and lighter free weights but feel comfortable with the smith machine now. It is hard to know how weights on machines translate to free weights/barbells (i.e. leg press to squat) but I feel like I am now at the point that I should be able to handle a standard 35- 45 pound bar (maybe with 10 pounds or more) for the 5x5 exercises.

Question 1) To make more serious progress would it be better to go back to the uni gym where there is more support for women and equipment for weight lifting and get away from using the smith machine? It might mean paying for both in the short term (6 months to decide), but the university rate is much less so that is not a real issue.

Question 2) Would you recommend working with a personal trainer? The current gym has many experienced trainers (and exercise physiologists) so might be able to work through modifications for NROLW with a trainer. The uni gym has small group classes for women for weight training with barbells as well as staff on the floor to help with questions so might be able to work on my own (or use a trainer there). I don't want to develop poor form/injure back etc so welcome feed back, but would feel awkward if I were to start with a trainer at one place and then switch locations. Is it at least worth one personal training session to determine one rep max for various exercises/ work on form?

(if it helps to know current regime/more details please let me know).

Question 3) How important are social interactions for sticking with exercise regimes for you? I have found at my "more mature gym" that I have developed more social interactions with both members and instructors than when I previously went to the uni gym and that is a real plus; (hence hesitation to just switch to the uni gym which has better equipment) Would it be too OCD to keep both memberships?