Staying true to Keto during travel

072499tt
072499tt Posts: 37 Member
Hi All- I will be traveling to Rwanda in a couple of weeks and staying for two weeks. I will not be in the capital but in a more rural area. I am researching food options currently but am also making a list of things I can take with me such as nut butters, pure protein drinks, keto bars etc. Any suggestions on what I might add to this list? How do you manage traveling and maintaining this lifestyle?

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited July 2019
    I haven't traveled yet while eating keto, but boiled eggs can stay good for I think at least a week if not longer, certain cheeses are good being left out for 24 hours or the cheese baked in the oven--cheese crisps are good out, they don't go bad, beef or turkey jerky, sticks or bites, nuts and/or coconut flakes/chips. Canned meats also, tuna, chicken, beef, etc. Dark chocolate with peanut butter (not exactly zero carb, but I consider it okay for Keto).

Maybe where you go, you'll luck up and they'll have goat, milk, fish, beef, and some sort of non starchy vegetable--some low carb options. I love goat meat and goat milk!! And I think it's a staple meat in a lot of African countries.

I don't know where you're starting from, but I wish I could go to Africa. It's on my bucket list to see Kenya, Ethiopia, and South Africa.

Good luck!
  • 072499tt
    I haven't traveled yet while eating keto, but boiled eggs can stay good for I think at least a week if not longer, certain cheeses are good being left out for 24 hours or the cheese baked in the oven--cheese crisps are good out, they don't go bad, beef or turkey jerky, sticks or bites, nuts and/or coconut flakes/chips. Canned meats also, tuna, chicken, beef, etc. Dark chocolate with peanut butter (not exactly zero carb, but I consider it okay for Keto).

Maybe where you go, you'll luck up and they'll have goat, milk, fish, beef, and some sort of non starchy vegetable--some low carb options. I love goat meat and goat milk!! And I think it's a staple meat in a lot of African countries.

I don't know where you're starting from, but I wish I could go to Africa. It's on my bucket list to see Kenya, Ethiopia, and South Africa.

Good luck!

Thank you! This was a very last minute business trip (filling in for someone who has an emergency). Completely unexpected but a complete blessing. Now I’m scrambling to plan and prepare!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited July 2019
    Lucky!! I wish I had a job with travel!

What country do you live in? I've had friends from all over the world, listening to their stories about their home countries really made me want to travel. I just haven't had the funds to travel abroad yet. So, I started trying to visit every state in US first. Got like 40 down, 10 more to go.
  • Jessimom2
    Jessimom2 Posts: 109 Member
    I traveled to the U.K. and it was a bit tough being a tourist for a week and a half. I prepared by bringing snacks. Also asked for full fat milk (or cream if I could get it) for coffee.

The snacks I brought: Slimfast Fat Bombs (whole box) and looks like candy to anyone so easy to not explain. Salted almonds. Bacon Jerky (not a jerky fan which is not convenient for a Keto person).

At restaurants I looked for salads, chicken wings, hamburgers (take of bun), and brought a meal for the plane ride over. Once I had to just eat out the inside of a pie because that was all they had and left the crust alone. That was at a restaurant that said they could accommodate food allergies etc. They couldn’t and had no substitutes for French fries or pasta :/ Since I had almonds and the fat bombs in my purse I just supplemented or I’d have been in trouble. The plane was tricky because you just get what you get and have to scrape off sauces, etc. Bonus was that my metabolism got really confused that week and I had a ‘whoosh’ of 4 lbs lost! And it stayed off :)
  • 072499tt
    Lucky!! I wish I had a job with travel!

What country do you live in? I've had friends from all over the world, listening to their stories about their home countries really made me want to travel. I just haven't had the funds to travel abroad yet. So, I started trying to visit every state in US first. Got like 40 down, 10 more to go.

Well thats the blessing part..I really dont. My job does not require travel but I was asked to fill in due to an emergency. I live in New York state
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Oh, wow, first work trip is to Africa. You are lucky! You'll have to let us know how it goes. Especially with the food!

I've had a few friends from Ethiopia who would cook some of their home dishes... Food was very good. Became a fan of Ethiopian cuisine. Same with Kenya, had a lot of friends from Kenya who threw a lot of potlucks. Again, really good food. Great fish and goat dishes. So, I hope you find good food in Rwanda!

Good luck, safe travels!!
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    When we went to Europe last May, I packed steak & salad, salami,hard cheese, olives, keto cakes,crispy pork rinds,sweetener, and nuts for us to eat in the airports and on the planes.I packed some of those foods that allowed in other countries in my suitcase including cocoa power. We had simple kitchen in nearly every place we stayed or at lest a fridge and a kettle. We bought foods at local supermarkets and made hot drinks and cooked meals like eggs, bacon, one pan meals, one pot meals and heated or cooked foods in microwave. , salad and cold meats, bratwurst sausages ,cheese ,nuts, berries , veges,meat , chicken, tinned fish and almond milk( expensive) . I packed snacks with me and had coffee out when we went sightseeing.x✈🛫💺🚝🚇🚍🏨🏰🎒🧳
  • 072499tt
    Malimalai wrote: »
    When we went to Europe last May, I packed steak & salad, salami,hard cheese, olives, keto cakes,crispy pork rinds,sweetener, and nuts for us to eat in the airports and on the planes.I packed some of those foods that allowed in other countries in my suitcase including cocoa power. We had simple kitchen in nearly every place we stayed or at lest a fridge and a kettle. We bought foods at local supermarkets and made hot drinks and cooked meals like eggs, bacon, one pan meals, one pot meals and heated or cooked foods in microwave. , salad and cold meats, bratwurst sausages ,cheese ,nuts, berries , veges,meat , chicken, tinned fish and almond milk( expensive) . I packed snacks with me and had coffee out when we went sightseeing.x✈🛫💺🚝🚇🚍🏨🏰🎒🧳

this sounds fantastic. Im doing research to see if there are food restrictions in terms of bring food. I think I can manage the airport and plane but just worried about being there for 2 weeks. So far Im not seeing many options but Im hoping for the best
  • 072499tt
    Oh, wow, first work trip is to Africa. You are lucky! You'll have to let us know how it goes. Especially with the food!

I've had a few friends from Ethiopia who would cook some of their home dishes... Food was very good. Became a fan of Ethiopian cuisine. Same with Kenya, had a lot of friends from Kenya who threw a lot of potlucks. Again, really good food. Great fish and goat dishes. So, I hope you find good food in Rwanda!

Good luck, safe travels!!

Thank you @Emmapatterson1729
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Research the local cuisine and what dishes they serve in the restaurants too. Check cooking facilities in your accommodation so you can decide what to bring with you, prepare your meals or eat out .Or you can do both.x