Does WW actually work? 🧐

OlgaKelmis
OlgaKelmis Posts: 7 Member
I’m doing my own thing for weight loss and I’ve been doing well. But I’ve seriously have been wondering, is WW at all effective? To use as sometime to guide you through weight loss. Any thoughts, or other suggestions? TYIA

Replies

• ElizbethMolly
    ElizbethMolly Posts: 32 Member
    I always found the idea of paying for weight loss help a bit odd. Like, how do they stay in business if their customers don't need to come back? That's just my take on it, I've never tried WW before. From what I understand though it's basically counting calories in a different form, which you can do on your own with this app.
  • SLaurentiu98
    SLaurentiu98 Posts: 9 Member
    https://youtu.be/pPDHyx5kSnE

I never tried WW and personally I don't like the idea of it being based on a points system. Especially foods that are 0 points

Imo, people who are serious about losing weight should know exactly what are they putting in ther bodies. A points sytem for what you eat seems juvenile to me. "You can have a burger, but that's a lot of points! Although you can have as many peas as you want~"

Someone said that WW is targetted towards very heavy people like our GORL who want to try to lose weight while still eating comfort food or something like that, I don't remember his exact words. Which is still something that I don't agree with regardless. Just because a burger has like 5 points and your max points for the day are 30 or whatever that doesn't mean you should eat that

Just my 2 cents.
  • charharr91
    charharr91 Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2019
    I’d say it ‘works’ - as all WL diets do - as a method to eat at a calorie deficit. Maybe for some people, they like the social aspect of it (accountability?), and find counting ‘points’ less daunting than counting calories? Maybe paying for it helps people feel more committed to losing weight.

It’s personally not for me. I’d rather do plain CICO. I like knowing my TDEE and calorie allowance etc, and exactly how many calories I’m consuming.

It’s anything that works for the individual! But in the end, all weight loss diets are really just methods of reducing caloric intake.
  • MahiMahi_93
    MahiMahi_93 Posts: 6 Member
    I've actually been messing with this free app called MyDietDaily. It lets you track calories and everything and even let's you convert them into WW points. They have all the WW plans and their respective point system.

It was meh. I managed to stay under my calorie limit even with the zero point foods but it felt weird. Leaves me more Paranoid when I eat zero point foods cuz I keep converting it to calories to make sure I'm under my limit. I know. Counterproductive. I'd rather stick to calories.
  • adak2
    adak2 Posts: 3 Member
    I mean, I think it depends because it's different to counting calories. In my case, no, because I have an eating disorder (a real diagnosed one, not an ALR one lol) and on WW I just end up bingeing on the ""zero cal foods"". Plus it's not free which I always found weird, like... they won't benefit if you DO lose weight, so it wouldn't surprise me if certain aspects of their model were designed to keep you needing them.
    Idk, not for me. Normal calorie counting is my thing.