At my breaking point....

Options
Honeyacid
Honeyacid Posts: 115 Member
I find myself sneaking food often. Specifically junk food that I shouldn't be consuming. It's food that leaves me bloated and nauseous. It also inhibits me from efficiently losing any weight. So this makes me hate both food and myself because I feel like I'll never achieve my dream body. Like I literally had a mental break down today because I looked in the mirror and saw that my body looks exactly as it did a few months back.

Replies

• Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    That's done. Get back on the wagon today and eat some healthy foods .If you have to snack , choose healthy snacks.You will feel better knowing you do better for yourself.One step back 2 steps forward is o.k.I feel better after a walk. x
  • Coleen312
    Coleen312 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Honeyacid wrote: »
    I find myself sneaking food often. Specifically junk food that I shouldn't be consuming. It's food that leaves me bloated and nauseous. It also inhibits me from efficiently losing any weight. So this makes me hate both food and myself because I feel like I'll never achieve my dream body. Like I literally had a mental break down today because I looked in the mirror and saw that my body looks exactly as it did a few months back.

Try not to beat yourself up. I did that for years. It’s just counterproductive. Give yourself positive messages. Set small, achievable goals and celebrate reaching each one (without food 🙂) Drinking enough water is KEY as is getting enough sleep. I truly wish you well. I’ve been where you are more times than I can count. God willing, I’m on the right track now and won’t be back there again.
  • MontanaDee
    MontanaDee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Honeyacid. I feel your despair. I was caught in that horrible cycle. Here's what I did (use whatever helps!): I got a start weight then only weighed once a month. I measured my body and recorded my clothes sizes. I logged EVERYTHING: i set the calorie goal but didnt worry if I went over. I had data to see what and how much I normally eat. From there I could start adjusting. (I couldn't stay on a food plan for even an hour then) I knew not sticking to a plan was causing despair and a sense of overwhelming failure. So, every Sunday j would choose 1 thing to change: 1 week eat 1 more serving of non starchy vegetables. Any kind, raw, cooked, didnt matter. The next week eat 1 oz lean meat/day cooked healthy, no breading or fried: chicken breast, fish, eggs (not cheese). And so on...eventually I was replacing my unhealthy food with healthy food! Now, I do dine out but know all healthy choices everywhere in town, thanks to mfp dairy. I saw my clothes get too big, my inches reduce, and the number on the scale slowly goes down! Remember: slow progress is still progress! Hopd something here can help! YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    Great advise from all above. I was the same exact way. What helped me is I started logging my food before I decided to eat it. Not that I was obsessive over the calorie count, but because it let me see my intake beforehand. For some reason seeing it before hand, I had always logged after I ate, jumped started something in my brain. And I just started making little substitutions (mustard instead of Mayo, a handful of grapes instead of that banana nut bread), and became a habit to eat.
    My point is, if you just keep going, even if you have to restart every day, you will find what fits for you. 😁

• healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Little late on this post but I just read it and thought I'd share this article that I found really helpful https://psychcentral.com/lib/breaking-the-cycle-of-shame-and-self-destructive-behavior/ . . From the article: "Shame is: “I am bad” vs. “I did something bad.” Self-destructive behaviors often are an attempt to regulate overpowering, painful feelings but lead to more shame, propelling the self-destructive cycle. Secrecy, silence, and out-of-control behaviors fuel shame. Shame makes people want to hide and disappear, reinforcing shame. Everyone can break the cycle of shame — even when the odds seem insurmountable. The first step is recognizing how shame is fueling your self-destructive behaviors and acknowledge the shame. It’s okay to have flaws — we all do, because every one of us is human and deeply flawed. Changing destructive behaviors requires trying out new, affirming behaviors to replace them. New behaviors that generate positive feedback and reward create new connections in the brain, creating the momentum for ongoing growth and change. (Learning on a neurobehavioral level) Shame can be relieved and healed by: Taking healthy risks to be seen and known authentically, acting from a positive motive and trying out new behaviors in a safe (nonjudgmental) setting. Taking actions that generate pride — the antidote to shame.
    Breaking secrecy with people who understand."