The smell of sugar

SameMeLessFat
SameMeLessFat Posts: 11 Member
Am I just weird or is anyone else super sensitive to the smell of processed sweets after being on Keto for a while? It’s not like I’m drooling at the mouth for them...I’m over the cravings (most of the time) but I can really smell the sugar more then I could before. I can smell the donuts in the break room before I turn the corner. My daughter pulled her blueberry Dunkin’ Donuts blueberry muffin out of the bag and I had to roll down the window because it was so sweet smelling. When I ate sweets I don’t remember the smell being so strong.

Replies

• shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Am I just weird or is anyone else super sensitive to the smell of processed sweets after being on Keto for a while?

Nope, not weird at all. I've always been super sensitive to sweets and some smells are migraine triggers for me. There are things that are sickly sweet to me and are instant stomach turners if I just catch a whiff of them.

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    I've always had a heightened sense of smell.. But my taste buds have changed in a similar sense.

I ran out of stevia and cocoa powder for coffee this morning, used my old sugar creamer I used to love... It was sickly sweet to me. Tasted gross even. Fruits and veggies I eat are starting to taste very sweet... Even broccoli, lettuces, tomatoes, etc.

This WOE has some crazy side effects.. That's for sure!!
  • Kbtm6419
    Kbtm6419 Posts: 22 Member
    Hi! I make donuts for a living in a bakery and trust me after being on Keto for a while the smell of sugar is so strong.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Even broccoli, lettuces, tomatoes, etc.

I've always thought broccoli, lettuces, tomatoes, green beans, cabbage, Brussels's sprouts, squash, etc tasted divine. There's definitely a sweetness to green beans and romaine lettuce. Cabbage and Brussels sprouts have a bite to them, tomatoes vary depending on the variety, and I could go on and on. At one time before I became absolutely riddled with pain I used to garden and always had loads of fresh veggies on hand. Now I have to settle for whatever I an pick up at the store. I do still manage to grow a few herbs in pots, though.

• I smell all the sweets my daughters eats. Cake, doughnuts, bread, pizza and doesn't bother me a bit. I smell,remember what it taste like and move on😉
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member

I've always thought broccoli, lettuces, tomatoes, green beans, cabbage, Brussels's sprouts, squash, etc tasted divine. There's definitely a sweetness to green beans and romaine lettuce. Cabbage and Brussels sprouts have a bite to them, tomatoes vary depending on the variety, and I could go on and on. At one time before I became absolutely riddled with pain I used to garden and always had loads of fresh veggies on hand. Now I have to settle for whatever I an pick up at the store. I do still manage to grow a few herbs in pots, though.

Me too, I've always loved vegetables, almost all vegetables (except corn).

But veggies and tomatoes always tasted very savory to me. Now, it's like a natural sweetness is coming through.

• SameMeLessFat

Me too, I've always loved vegetables, almost all vegetables (except corn).

But veggies and tomatoes always tasted very savory to me. Now, it's like a natural sweetness is coming through.

I wish I had a place for a garden. I don’t have a yard and my patio is covered by a big tree so there’s no sun. Fresh veggies are the best.
  • SameMeLessFat
    Kbtm6419 wrote: »
    Hi! I make donuts for a living in a bakery and trust me after being on Keto for a while the smell of sugar is so strong.

I thought it was all in my head so I’m glad I’m not going crazy. It’s crazy how much sweeter it smells.