Living the Lifestyle- Tuesday July 30, 2019

GavinFlynn1
GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - GavinFlynn1 (Gavin)
Wednesday - Wildcard (Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Treasured Experiences

What are some of your treasured memories that you experienced because you got on the path to a healthy lifestyle? It doesn’t have to be health related.

Replies

• GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    The past few days, I’ve been on vacation. While I’m still quite a ways from getting back to my ideal weight or fitness levels, I’ve noticed that I have begun to recapture the mindset that “I can try”. For one example, the beach ends with some cliffs, but at low tide you can see there is a small hidden cove just around the corner. For years I have wished I could go there. Yesterday I did. I noticed some people just climbed over rocks exposed by the low tide, so I decided to try. The climb was MUCH easier than I expected. The hidden cove was awesome! I even found a cave in the cove, which sounds straight out of fiction.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,698 Member
    When my sons were young teenagers we tried a hike to the top of Yosemite Falls at my youngest request. I didn’t last 30 minutes before I had to turn back knees aching, gasping. I swore someday I would make it to the top. 2 years later I did. It was sweet, a very physical NSV. We went on to hike all over Yosemite until my knees finally gave out.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,526 Member
    My first NSV. Wearing the new suit that I bought to celebrate losing the first 25 lbs, I ducked out of work in the middle of the afternoon and went to the Museum Of Science And Industry in Chicago. One of my favorite places when I was a kid. School was in session. There were few people.

I walked around for about 90 minutes without sitting. Did the submarine and coal mine tours. I was on top of the world. I had a new life.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,594 Member
    Living to 75. :) Working on 76.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,554 Member
    Walking around 20 miles in one day throughout London, where I celebrated my 50th birthday with a good friend who led me on a pub crawl of his wonderful city. I had lost about 70 pounds at that point in time.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,236 Member
    I have some great memories that I have because I LTL

Played pickle ball
    Found aqua aerobics (stil do)
    Took kayak lesson
    Tried Tai Chi lessons
    Yoga/chair yoga
    Going to son’s wedding in Savila and walking all over city.
    Rode an electric bike there too.
    Learned to swim laps and to turn underwater by watching You Tube

Good memories but I have aged from 64 to 71 and wish I started younger.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,088 Member
    One particular highlight for me is when my wife and I took a week-long vacation in the mountains one summer, and ended up going for long trail runs every day. I think I racked up 60 miles that week, which was crazy because just a few years before I hadn't been running at all.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,293 Member
    I started doing the C25K program a few years ago. I was going along pretty nicely, repeating weeks as needed and checking in with the old GOAD Runners thread. I remember the day I ran a mile and a half without stopping. I was sooooooo proud. My training plan got interrupted by caretaking for my mother. I hadn't run in about four months, but one day (a very frustrating day), I decided to go to the track. I was below my goal weight, and I ran TWO miles. If anyone else had been there, they'd have wondered if the crazy lady was laughing, crying or both. (It was both.)😊