High Blood Pressure

Options
13»

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I was getting chest pains from amlodipine so I quit it and started eating high calcium foods like milk and cottage cheese because it’s a calcium channel blocker. I’m quitting all my other meds this next week after tapering off them. I’m supplementing electrolytes to lower the pressure and a mostly carnivore diet.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    Chest pains went away. I've changed from carnivore to a moderate carbs diet, so more fruit, nuts, seeds, and cocoa! I'm still on 2 blood pressure meds, which I found out are still necessary.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    So I decided to up the magnesium, salt, and potassium chloride and seem to be doing well on half dose blood pressure meds. I will be switching to 1/4 dose soon and then hopefully none. I'm getting chest pains still but not very much. I have a loose xiphoid process. Does anyone have info on that causing chest pain?
  • TheDevastator
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I'm back on the meds because electrolytes weren't enough. I guess as a complete last resort, exercise may be needed. I'm letting my chest heal so no bench pressing or chest exercises for a while.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm back on the meds because electrolytes weren't enough. I guess as a complete last resort, exercise may be needed. I'm letting my chest heal so no bench pressing or chest exercises for a while.

Weight loss and regular brisk walking or cardio resulted me getting off BP meds back in 2014.

My husband has never been over weight but had high bp and tried a few different bp meds. He started walking a couple miles a day for health and no longer takes bp meds. His bp is fine and has been the last 5 or 6 years.

Maybe exercise will help you too. Give it a shot.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Weight loss and regular brisk walking or cardio resulted me getting off BP meds back in 2014.

My husband has never been over weight but had high bp and tried a few different bp meds. He started walking a couple miles a day for health and no longer takes bp meds. His bp is fine and has been the last 5 or 6 years.

Maybe exercise will help you too. Give it a shot.

Thanks for the feedback! I do need to exercise. Just walking and light weightlifting is a start. Also magnesium deficiency could have been part of my problem with chest pains because they really improved with daily magnesium.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    I'm trying lysine treatment too because Linus Pauling recommended it for heart disease. Also I previously tried to go off blood pressure meds without exercise or weight loss and I think that's a bad idea for anyone unless you are sure of what you are doing. I thought I was going to have a stroke.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'd report my BP through MYCHART. My doc monitored it and systematically reduced it. I think I started on 20 mg of lisinopril with hctz. The hctz was dropped then the mg of lisinopril was reduced.

I never really felt any ill effects when BP was high but when it became low before meds were adjusted or stopped, I'd get light headed.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    That is the proper way of getting off the meds. I tried to quit them with electrolytes, very little exercise, and/or weight loss. Not a good plan. I’m trying to get health insurance that will allow me to go to the doctor more and then I might be able to do what you did.

3-6 grams lysine and 3-6 grams vitamin C a day and my chest pains have really reduced to almost none. I’m also taking magnesium and high doses of vitamin E. I’m still worried that I could have a heart attack even though it seems like I’m doing much better.