Really struggling...

Options
cheryldumais
cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
I've been trying keto again for a week now but I'm starving. I can't do the super high fat like others do because of no gall bladder so I'm at about 60% fat. I'm trying to drop a few holiday pounds and most of them are off but I feel like crying I'm so hungry. I wish it worked for me. Think I'll be back to low cal shortly as I can't handle the hunger. I'm in ketosis so it isn't that. Part of my issue is the fact that my maintenance calories are only about 1350 so it's hard to get much food on a high fat diet within those calories.

Replies

• BlancheandSmooshyface
    BlancheandSmooshyface Posts: 67 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I too don't have a gall bladder, and I had the same issue regarding fat while on Keto. Poultry, seafood and beef contain lots of protein, but are low in fat, so they'll fill you up.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat high fat. Up your protein and drop down fat macros. If you are starving then eat! Eggs are great, make an omelette with cheese and some veges. Eat until you are satiated. No point being hungry as that is a recipe for disaster.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I have no gallbladder... But luckily only had problems with fats and spices for about 3-5 years after removal. Its been 20 years, now.

Could increase lean proteins. Proteins can be about as filling as fats. And upping proteins while eating very low carbs, one still can stay in ketosis. And not dropping calories too low, the body needs calories for energy.

I can't remember the name of the doctor on YouTube who talks about protein, and my clipboard is not working.
    @Sunny_Bunny_

She posted it the first time I saw it. It changed my views on consumption of proteins.

Good luck!!

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I have no gallbladder... But luckily only had problems with fats and spices for about 3-5 years after removal. Its been 20 years, now.

Could increase lean proteins. Proteins can be about as filling as fats. And upping proteins while eating very low carbs, one still can stay in ketosis. And not dropping calories too low, the body needs calories for energy.

I can't remember the name of the doctor on YouTube who talks about protein, and my clipboard is not working.
    @Sunny_Bunny_

She posted it the first time I saw it. It changed my views on consumption of proteins.

Good luck!!

I think you’re talking about Ben Bickman. His talk Insulin vs Glucagon is a must watch.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

@Sunny_Bunny_

Good luck!!

I think you’re talking about Ben Bickman. His talk Insulin vs Glucagon is a must watch.

That's the one!!!! Thanks!!! ;)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I agree with the more protein 100%

Also, there are plenty of low carb veggies/fruits to add in for larger volume of food with lower calories.
  • cheryldumais
    Options
    Thank you all for responding. I'll have a watch of the video. I hadn't really thought about increasing lean protein. I'll give that a try. I don't know if Keto is the way to go for me for life but I really wanted to get the cravings under control and drop the holiday pounds. I checked this am and I'm no longer in ketosis so wondering where I went wrong. I need to go back and see what I ate that threw me out and that might explain the ravenous hunger yesterday. Might have been that Atkins bar I had. I've been trying to kick sucralose too because of inflamation in my body which means I've lost some of my no calorie fillers. I also quit vaping 2 months ago. Maybe I'm trying to quit too much at once. I'll dial it back and focus on food for now and see if I can get back into ketosis. Thanks again I really appreciate the responses.
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    BlancheandSmooshyface Posts: 67 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    You may still be in Ketosis even though the tests don't say so. It could mean your body has actually starting burning the fat and not "passing" it. I've lost 44 pounds, even though I haven't been in Ketosis since week three.
  • cheryldumais
    Options
    You may still be in Ketosis even though the tests don't say so. It could mean your body has actually starting burning the fat and not "passing" it. I've lost 44 pounds, even though I haven't been in Ketosis since week three.
    That's interesting and encouraging too. Strangely today I'm not that hungry?? I went over my calories yesterday by about 200 though so that could be why. My weight was up a pound this morning as well. I'm gonna give it a few more days and see what happens. Thanks for your input.
  • EelkoDoesKeto
    EelkoDoesKeto Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Another thing to think about is whether you are "tummy hungry" or "brain hungry"... I know it sounds crazy, but some hunger comes from your stomach and the rest comes from your brain.... If like me, you have eaten for comfort, or habit... you might find that sometimes your brain triggers a "hungry" when you are not really hungry.... I find having glass of water turns that off for me.... but everyone is different.