Fruit I eat: lemons, limes, avocados, blueberries, blackberries

Fruit I eat occasionally: watermelon

What fruit do you eat?

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Since starting keto... Cherries, avocados, and heirloom tomatoes!

Lemons and limes (mainly juices).

I like cranberries added to salad.

Will probably add more... Need to grocery shop more!

The only fruits I don't like are pears and apples raw... Will eat, but don't like the texture.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    avocado, berries and tomatoes
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    Options
    I drink 16 ounces of lemon water a day, does that count? Otherwise, I don't ingest any fruits, except for the occasional strawberry from my garden.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    tomatoes, cranberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries
  • AbbieOffman
    AbbieOffman Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Lemons, limes, blueberries (and tomatoes :))
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the lists. I think lemon water is great to help the liver out but so is getting the right proteins and fats. I don't see myself eating that many fruits except avocados and some berries when in season.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the lists. I think lemon water is great to help the liver out but so is getting the right proteins and fats. I don't see myself eating that many fruits except avocados and some berries when in season.

Those are the fruits I stuck to while eating keto. Good choices. :)
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    I'm actually shifting from keto to ... I'm not sure what to call it yet except that I want to incorporate more fruits as well as veggies. I bumped my carb count up to 80 gm/day. I think very few fruits will be off my list (other than maybe bananas); I want to have 1-2 servings of fruit per day and 5 servings of veggies. I've realized that with my last 3+ years of eating keto/LCHF, the food ruts I've fallen into include a LOT of processed foods (lots of processed meats and cheese, especially) and I want to shift that and see how things go.

I’m sure your fatty liver will be back to normal soon once you those cut out those processed foods. Bananas are a sugar rush, much too high of a carb count for me.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    My fruits are ones most don't know are fruits like peppers - mostly jalapeños, serranos and cayenne (hañero are not ripe yet) - and okra from my garden. Also, cucumber and some zucchini. I will occasionally have some blackberries, but that is a rare occasion where I will get a couple of 6 oz containers and eat them over the course of a week or so.
  • TheDevastator
    edited August 2019
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    My fruits are ones most don't know are fruits like peppers - mostly jalapeños, serranos and cayenne (hañero are not ripe yet) - and okra from my garden. Also, cucumber and some zucchini. I will occasionally have some blackberries, but that is a rare occasion where I will get a couple of 6 oz containers and eat them over the course of a week or so.
    I do love jalapeños with sardines, mackerel, and I add them with meats like pork tenderloin. They have just enough kick, I don’t want any more than that.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    @macchiatto

Agree with TheDevastator, once processed foods are gone, a lot of health benefits should come.

I still eat clean and consume whole foods on keto. Processed foods are hard on the liver.

• ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much fruit. But berries, avocado and cherry tomatoes are about it.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Part of my influence is Terry Wahls' research on MS. I want to get back to following her advice of 6 cups of fruits and vegetables a day (2 each of different categories) and some of her other guidelines, too. Her full protocol is a bit much for me at this point but I want to move more in that direction.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Raspberries from the garden. An occasional half of an apple from our tree. Lemon, limes, mostly just juice to add to recipes or in water. I will eat organic, in season, strawberries or blueberries and I allow myself a few figs when they are in season.

To me avocados are a fat source, not a fruit, but biologically they are, I eat lots of avos. I eat cherry tomatoes in season as well.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Two fruits I just added on a daily bases is one whole organic apple including the stem and one banana. I did start eating one tablespoon of raw honey at the same time. All three are for the health of my gut microbiome.

One day I saw some raw honey on the counter and wound up eating 8 tablespoons just to get it out of my sight. A positive change in my stools lead me to google honey's value to one's microbiome. That lead to learning about the value of a whole apple and a banana as well. After the first week I think adding these three carb sources may become a long term change.

Effect of honey in improving the gut microbial balance
    https://academic.oup.com/fqs/article/1/2/107/3860141
    "Conclusions and Future Prospects
    Our understanding on the role of intestinal microflora in the maintaining host health and nutrition has vastly improved in the recent times, driven largely by the advancements in novel analytical techniques and global research initiatives on the gut microbiome. Dietary application of probiotic strains and non-digestible oligosaccharides aim to achieve a positive microbial balance towards a more favourable bacterial community. Furthermore, effective synbiotic combinations can potentially enhance the discrete health benefits of prebiotic carbohydrate and probiotic microorganisms, and also present development opportunities for innovative functional foods. The unique oligosaccharide components and antibacterial mechanisms of honey are of a great research interest for the physiological effects. A more rigorous evaluation of the potential prebiotic effect of honey on probiotic lactobacilli and bifidobacteria, and the action mechanisms involved, however, may be necessary to incorporate the functional ingredient with scientifically substantiated health claims. In vitro models of the human gut can be employed to test digestibility and fermentation selectivity of honey oligosaccharides, followed by in vivo animal studies and randomized control trials in human subjects. Although the selectivity of honey as a substrate for the probiotic bacteria is an important aspect of the prebiotic effect, the holistic metabolic benefits of gut microbiota modulation must also be adequately considered."

Study: One Apple Carries Roughly 100 Million Bacteria — Which Is A Good Thing

https://studyfinds.org/study-one-apple-carries-roughly-100-million-bacteria-which-is-good-thing/

“Freshly harvested, organically managed apples harbor a significantly more diverse, more even and distinct bacterial community, compared to conventional ones,” Berg explains. “This variety and balance would be expected to limit overgrowth of any one species, and previous studies have reported a negative correlation between human pathogen abundance and microbiome diversity of fresh produce.”

Furthermore, organic apples only were shown to contain Lactobacilli, a fairly well known probiotic. Conventional apples on the other hand, contained bacteria known to harbor pathogens. The research team even say that organic apples contain much more of a specific bacteria, methylobacterium, known to enhance flavor quality in fruits.

These findings mesh well with another recent study that found fungal communities among organic apples were much more diverse compared to regular apples grown using pesticides."

A Mix Of These Foods Could Restore Healthy Microbes In Malnourished Kids

https://npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/07/11/740820882/a-mix-of-these-foods-could-restore-healthy-microbes-in-malnourished-kids

This was the article that sent me down the banana rabbit hole.

Again it was the day after I ate 8 tablespoons of raw honey that turned me onto adding a one tablespoon daily of raw honey article. I just added the organic apple and a banana while I was at it. My n=1 testing of digestive enzymes had changed my stool somewhat and the day after the honey usage things were back to normal and was why I googled honey and the gut microbiome. Is there a connection with honey I can not say because I do not know. It is just my observation that was easy to see.

• Emmapatterson1729
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I love raw local honey too!!! I could eat an entire jar in one sitting if I let myself. But I feel like the only person on Earth who does not like apples!

Another reason, I take an organic apple pectin supplement. It's supposed to be equivalent to eating something crazy like 20 apples a day.

I try to buy all my produce organic. It taste better. I have given so many blind taste tests to people who call me crazy, saying there's absolutely no difference in taste...100% have chosen the organic every single test, and then have to apologize, because they realized there is a huge taste difference.

• Jessimom2
    Jessimom2 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Berries, tomatoes, avocados, cucumbers (could not live without these!), plum (one occasionally), and muscadine (have to splurge when they are in season here because they are full of so much healthy stuff!).

Also since we are talking about more splurge stuff - wanted french fries when my husband and kids eating their burgers and homemade fried/chips. Found a garlic Parmesan carrot fries recipe on Tasty. Really good! And easy! Normally don’t eat a ton of carrots. But you can have a couple and get away with it. They tasted like sweet potato fries.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    Carrot fries sound good, I might have to try that. I'll fry them in butter. Only for a treat once in a while.

I have raw honey but I don't have it very much at all. It's excellent to fulfill a sugar craving that will not go away.

I also believe organic is tastier most of the time.

Soon it will be cranberry season, so I might try to eat some of those. They are pretty much the cheapest berry if I'm not mistaken, at least here in Wisconsin, U.S.A.