Paleo substitutions

Options
2»

Replies

• stacyt83
    stacyt83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try spaghetti squash to sub for noodles. I cook with almond flour all the time. You might want to check out: http://www.paleoplan.com/recipes/ for some free recipe ideas.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    just a note on almond meal/almond flour
    here is one quote and there are others floating around on Mark Sisson's site as well as Chris Kresser

To some this won’t be new. There’s been a growing understanding recently that abusing nuts probably isn’t wise. Now, they do come with great micro-nutrition and are likely beneficial in moderate amounts. But in huge amounts and especially in a less-than-whole form, the omega-6 in almond flour is likely prone to oxidation and the increased omega-6 is inflammatory. Omega-6’s propensity to be inflammatory lies in the fact that inflammatory eicosanoids (bodily signaling molecules) are derived from it. Nuts (especially almonds) also contain phytic acid which blocks absorption of other dietary minerals. Phytic acid can be reduced by soaking/sprouting…but let’s be realistic here…that is a pain in the butt.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    abusing nuts probably isn’t wise

Depends on the situation
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    abusing nuts probably isn’t wise

Depends on the situation
    hardy har har!
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Miracle Noodles are like the tofu shirataki noodles but have no soy. I use them when I'm in a time crunch or don't have any zucchini on hand .

If you want an amazing occasional bread replacement, try this recipe: had it for breakfast today with some nitrate free turkey bacon and avocado. So good! I use hemp or pumpkin protein powder to keep in paleo.

http://purelytwins.com/2013/03/05/single-serving-vegan-english-muffin-recipe-glutenfree-protein-rich/
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    to add onto this, i recently tossed together an 'ice cream' with mashed bananas, unsweetened cocoa powder, cinnamon, and raw unsweetened coconut flakes. so yummy that i make it quite frequently! this would make for a great post workout snack because of the bananas with a high GI value
    An easy 1 ingredient ice cream is to blend up a couple frozen chopped bananas until they're smooth and pop them back in the freezer to re-freeze. You can add strawberries to it for a different flavour.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Miracle Noodles are like the tofu shirataki noodles but have no soy. I use them when I'm in a time crunch or don't have any zucchini on hand .

If you want an amazing occasional bread replacement, try this recipe: had it for breakfast today with some nitrate free turkey bacon and avocado. So good! I use hemp or pumpkin protein powder to keep in paleo.

http://purelytwins.com/2013/03/05/single-serving-vegan-english-muffin-recipe-glutenfree-protein-rich/

Yes but they look so perfectly white... makes you wonder how they got them that way... :huh: