Still getting cramps!

Options
moss11
moss11 Posts: 236 Member
Following advice on here have increased salt to prevent calf cramps. They are more or less gone! Will occasionally have a beef broth drink if I think it's needed. However sometimes getting cramps in my feet and front of leg at night. Standing and walking doesn't seem to help this type. It's quite painful and long lasting. Any tips much appreciated.

Replies

• MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Following advice on here have increased salt to prevent calf cramps. They are more or less gone! Will occasionally have a beef broth drink if I think it's needed. However sometimes getting cramps in my feet and front of leg at night. Standing and walking doesn't seem to help this type. It's quite painful and long lasting. Any tips much appreciated.

My cramps are gone since I started using Morton's Lite Salt (it has potassium in it).
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem! Waking up at least 6 times a night with cramps in the front and bottoms of my feet and the fronts of my legs, calves and even my ankles. They start the minuite I sit down to relax after dinner. I guess maybe I'm not getting enough sodium. I got some liquid calcium/magnesium from a pharmacy that specializes in natural remedies. They said I should take a TBL before I went to bed. The cramps were less frequent but I stil had to get up about 3 times. They said I could take it twice a day if necessary. They said if it didn't work they would suggest a potassium supplement. I will try the calcium/magnesium for a week or so before I decide it doesn't work. Those cramps are just terrible. I hope you get lots of good feedback. Thanks for posting!
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    When you eat a lower carb diet, cramps are almost always related to a potassium/calcium/magnesium balance or deficiency issue. I snuck a peek at your diet, and some days you are induction level carbs for Atkins, some days higher. I think you know a lot already about low carb dieting, right? But just in case, keep in mind that making sure you have enough salt is key, but that's not the only reason Atkins recommends salty broth when people are below 50 grams of carbs per day. It's because properly made bone broth is very mineral rich, particularly in calcium. However, even bone broth may not have enough magnesium, depending on the situation the animal was in. Because we use the same soil over and over for agriculture, most of our foods don’t have as much magnesium as they could have. Have you tried a magnesium supplement? I'm a little wary of calcium supplements, but if you have bone broth and a magnesium supplement, that's a safe way to get a good serving of both. I think the Morton’s “lite” salt suggestion is a good one. Come to think of it, that’s about the only thing I didn’t try when I was struggling with migraines while in ketosis. So, I’d suggest:

1) A high quality, chelated magnesium supplement (or if you prefer, take a bath regularly in magnesium salts)

2) A daily serving of homemade bone broth, or at least several times a week for calcium

3) The use of a “lite” salt mixture for potassium (but keep in mind that too much potassium chloride can be hard on the stomach)

Here’s why I’m wary of calcium supplements:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/08/thinking-twice-about-calcium-supplements-2/?_r=0

Here’s my recipe for the world’s easiest bone broth. Save the bones as you eat various cuts of meat, and throw them in a bag in the freezer. Mixed bones make very tasty broth.

4 quarts (16 cups or so) filtered water
    2 lbs bones
    2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar (helps pull the minerals from the bones)
    ½ - 1 onion, roughly chopped
    1 or 2 carrots, roughly chopped
    1 clove garlic, smashed
    2 or 3 bay leaves

Throw it all in the crock pot and let it cook for 10-24 hours, as you prefer. Use a colander to strain it into jars so you can freeze it to use as needed.

I will admit, though, that the reason I now try to stay between 50 and 100 grams of carbs is because I really struggled with migraines when I was in ketosis, and I think that was due to mineral balance issues.

Good luck!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    What AbbeyDove said. Plus, with it being summer (if you're in the northern hemisphere), you're probably outside more and sweating more, so losing those electrolytes more often.

Pickle juice also works - drink it up. Personally I prefer kosher garlic dill, myself. ;)
  • moss11
    Options
    Thanks mermaidTX, I do use Low-Salt which is 51% Pottasium Chloride and 48% Salt, but perhaps I'm not using enough of it!
    Leighn62 glad to hear I'm not the only one, hopefully we will both benefit from these tips!
    AbbeyDove thanks for such a comprehensive reply. My carb intake has been a little uneven of late, but compared to what it used to be its freaking fantastic :-)! I do so much better eating wise on low carb. I am a bit inconsistent with supplements as well, so immediately went and took a magnesium one when I read your reply :-). It's possibly not the best grade but I will get cheleated once these are finished. Not sure if other countries stock Marmite (beef drink) but that is a handy pick me up for this type of problem. Thank you for the recipe it is quite different from mine. I did try a higher level of carbs for a short time recently but felt it was leading me astray!!
    Shar 140 is pickle juice just the vinegar from pickled vegetables? I could do that with the pickled Beetroot and onions I imagine.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Thanks mermaidTX, I do use Low-Salt which is 51% Pottasium Chloride and 48% Salt, but perhaps I'm not using enough of it!
    Leighn62 glad to hear I'm not the only one, hopefully we will both benefit from these tips!
    AbbeyDove thanks for such a comprehensive reply. My carb intake has been a little uneven of late, but compared to what it used to be its freaking fantastic :-)! I do so much better eating wise on low carb. I am a bit inconsistent with supplements as well, so immediately went and took a magnesium one when I read your reply :-). It's possibly not the best grade but I will get cheleated once these are finished. Not sure if other countries stock Marmite (beef drink) but that is a handy pick me up for this type of problem. Thank you for the recipe it is quite different from mine. I did try a higher level of carbs for a short time recently but felt it was leading me astray!!
    Shar 140 is pickle juice just the vinegar from pickled vegetables? I could do that with the pickled Beetroot and onions I imagine.

Yeah, I just drink what's in the jar with the pickles. :) It's usually salty here, besides vinegar-y.

Also, a note about Mg supplement - make sure you take it after you eat, it can be a laxative, too. Step yourself up on the dosage, and if you have laxative effects, back off a little. :) I also take mine at night before bed (after dinner, sometimes a couple hours after but lately not that long), as it is also supposed to help with sleep.
  • Longisland2NC
    Longisland2NC Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Cramps/Charlie Horses are the worst!!!

I take Magnesium supplements - but also soak my feet on occasion in Epsom Salt. That really helps.

Also make sure you are getting enough potassium (you can log it on MFP) I have upped my Almond milk intake, to up mine a bit. I have been off a bit lately....just added that to my diary to track it better.

I also make sure to eat Avocado often (I try for everyday if I can - even if its an ounce or 2 a day.)

I use Lo-Salt when I cook.....

There is a Magnesium gel that I have looked into online - they have one with Aloe Vera, I am thinking of ordering it and rubbing it on my feet and legs at night.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You can try potassium supplements...they do work. And I second the Mg. For those of us with a history of constipation, they are a miracle. Potatoes are also a great source of potassium and a good diet food as long as you steer clear of fats with them. Bananas and low sodium V8, as well.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I take both magnesium and potassium supplements. I also take calcium supplement (600 mg) with vitamin D. I still get cramps occasionally, but they are not as severe and go away quickly. I don't skimp on the salt either.
  • mushroomsontoast
    mushroomsontoast Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You can try potassium supplements...they do work. And I second the Mg.

Agreed.
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Someone at the pharmacy suggested a liquid calcium/mg supplement. Not sure of the amounts but equal of both. They said to take a TBSP before bed and another TBLS during the day if that didn't help. The one TBLS has helped tremendously but I had cramps last night so I might try one before dinner and one before bed. Thanks for all the good info.
  • moss11
    Options
    Thank you for helpful experiences and information. I don't think I will take calcium at this time as I do eat lots of calcium rich foods. However I am now taking regular Magnesium Supplements since posting and fingers crossed I have had no cramps since :-). I will continue with this unless there are other changes. I hope increasing your dose will help your symptoms.