This August I Will...

Options

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,213 Member
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    @themedalist , I’m sorry that you found the class unworkable for you, but it makes sense to stop trying to do something that is too difficult. It’s sort of like folks starting here on MFP who plan to get up every morning at 4 am and workout for an hour. That’s just not sustainable, and they quit trying instead of moderating the unsustainable plan. You are wise enough to see that the course was not going to work for you, and figured out a work around.

I know that music theory can get pretty deep, pretty fast. Working on maintaining an even tempo is a great plan. Let me share a few of the things I learned from my kids piano teacher and dancing.

First: Slow is beautiful. In other words slow that tempo way down to the point where you can play it through evenly. This is important because you play with your body, and the hands and fingers need the slow practice even though the brain says that you should go faster. At dancing we have an app that changes the speed of any song because dancing at the original tempo can be too hard especially when you’re first learning it.

Second, and perhaps the most important: YOU. The music begins with you, not the composer or even the song. The music is coming from you. So make the music and enjoy it.

This is just wonderful advice, @77tes. “you play with your body, and the hands and fingers need the slow practice even though the brain says that you should go faster”....this is so true! I am finding the tempo practice very useful. Slow is beautiful!

And I ordered the book your sister recommended on music theory. Second-hand and in decent condition. It should be here soon! Thanks for the recommendation!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017, thank you for your lovely post!

you also wrote:

"....Today, I am sleepy, slight headache, my muscles are aching (workout-related, but more sleep would have helped with repair), eyes are dry (I figured out awhile back that lack of deep sleep causes this in me), emotional/less resilient, more fretting in general, didn’t go to a social group this morning because I didn’t feel I could be “cheerful” enough & also more energy than I feel I had. (Gearing up to see a dear friend late this afternoon - maybe a nap)"

This is soooo insightful and helpful to not only you but me also, and perhaps others, because it articulates so much of what I often feel or experience when I am lacking in the sleep department. Thank you for sharing.

@PackerFanInGB, I am so glad that you are joining the 'August I Will', especially that you decided to join in the middle of the month. That is not so easy to do especially when things have been really rough for you. You go girl!!

Hugs 💖 for you during this difficult, and certainly a sad and emotional time, for you and your family. I will be praying for your family as well as for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My goal for this month:
    This August's I will: I will track my progress (again) of getting to sleep earlier, success will now be lights out by 11:00 PM.

I will use 😇 for lights out by 10 P.M, 🕚 for lights out by 11 P.M, after 11P.M. ❌.

(I am allowing one night a week(end) only if something special is going on so it won't trigger failure feelings.)

August 1: 🕚
    August 2: 🕚
    August 3: planned later night
    August 4: 🕚
    August 5: 🕚
    August 6: 🕚
    August 7: 😇
    August 8: 😇
    August 9: 🕚
    August 10: 🕚
    August 11: 😇
    August 12: 🕚
    August 13: 🕚

🤠🌺
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,940 Member
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB , I’m sorry for all the sorrow you are dealing with. This is a hard time for you, and simply logging should help you get some control. I’ll keep you, your mom, and stepdad in my prayers.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,045 Member
    Options
    Ok! First 8 days done!

Good habits around SLEEP so far:
    Was Already established. 10:30 medicine,
    Was Already established, putting water by bedside,
    New!*** getting out ear buds for use, if needed
    New!***putting sleep mask where I can get it easily,
    New!***Dimming lights at 9:30, and no later than 10:30.
    New!***Using audio meditations** immediately** if I wake up at night & in AM,
    new!***continuing to go back to sleep, if possible, until I’ve accrued 7 hours.

To work on this week:
    ☘️Turn off TV/computer no later than 11pm. Record time achieved.

Record time you turn off phone
    Record time you fell asleep (approx) Record time you woke up.

Beginning night of Aug 13:

☘️Yes❣️11, Yes❣️11,
    🛌 12:10 10:15
    📱(12:39)1:25⬆️. 11:50❣️
    💤1:25⬆️
    ☀️6:39 (mask) 7:20⬇️
    ⏰5hr55mins ⬇️

Unseasonably hot here so I was very energetic after my 7:30 walk & throughout the cooler evening.

Baby steps.
    My lack of good sleep hygiene is related to 2 things:
    * My phone #1
    * I’ve always “fought” goi g to sleep even when yawning even as a kid #2

Other possibilities:
    * Evening meds
    * Dinner too late
    * Decaf coffee/bit of choc is too much caffeine for me at 4pm?
    * Exercising too late in day

I’m more committed than ever to solve this, as I’m seeing how it’s impacting me now. (I didn’t really want to admit I had an issue.)

For me to remember WHY I need to put that phone down.l:
    Today, I am sleepy, slight headache, my muscles are aching (workout-related, but more sleep would have helped with repair), eyes are dry (I figured out awhile back that lack of deep sleep causes this in me), emotional/less resilient, more fretting in general, didn’t go to a social group this morning because I didn’t feel I could be “cheerful” enough & also more energy than I feel I had. (Gearing up to see a dear friend late this afternoon - maybe a nap)

I’m actually optimistic that I can solve this now. I’m going to go slowly.

Thank you @themedalist, and all of you. Each & every one of you has had a significantly large, positive impact on my life, my health, my habits! 💕
  • 77tes
    Options
    I’m staying the course for my deeper yoga practice, and I feel like my flexibility and balance are indeed improving, but I’m not enjoying it. But I suppose being uncomfortable shows growth.

8 - Yoga Fix Day 7 Relax and Meditate. I really needed this today since I had a headache. Because it was only 10 minutes, I also did a 20 minute qigong routine.
    9 - Yoga Fix Day 8 Cardio Yoga HIIT - I didn’t know yoga could be cardio, much less HIIT, but this workout really got my heart rate up.
    10 -Yoga Fix Day 9 Core Flow - okay👌
    11 - Yoga Fix Day 10 -Total Body routine 👌
    12 - Yoga Fix Day 11 - Shoulders and Abs - tough
    13 - Yoga Fix Day 12 - another HIIT Yoga 😩
    14 - Yoga Fix Day 13 - Total Body 👌
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Ok! First 8 days done!

To work on this week:

🏋🏻‍♂️ 7:30-8:30 pm. 1:45pm-3:15
    🍫 ☕️? 4:30/5
    ☘️Yes❣️11, Yes❣️11,
    🛌 12:10 10:15
    📱(12:39)1:25⬆️. 11:50❣️❣️
    💤1:25⬆️ 12:15❣️❣️
    ☀️6:39 (mask) 7:20⬇️ 6:15 gmask+audio) 7ish mask awoke 8:15❣️❣️
    ⏰5hr55mins ⬇️ 8 Hours❣️❣️

Average hours so far ~7❣️❣️❣️

Aug 14 was a success! Adding exercise time to see if earlier exercise works best.

Baby steps.
    * My phone #1

Other possibilities:
    * Evening meds
    * Dinner too late

I’m more committed than ever to solve this, as I’m seeing how it’s impacting me now. (I didn’t really want to admit I had an issue.)

Today, I am sleepy, slight headache, my muscles are aching (workout-related, but more sleep would have helped with repair), eyes are dry (I figured out awhile back that lack of deep sleep causes this in me), emotional/less resilient, more fretting in general, didn’t go to a social group this morning because I didn’t feel I could be “cheerful” enough & also more energy than I feel I had. (Gearing up to see a dear friend late this afternoon - maybe a nap)

Thank you @themedalist, and all of you. Each & every one of you has had a significantly large, positive impact on my life, my health, my habits! 💕
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Ok! First 8 days done!

To work on this week:

🏋🏻‍♂️ 7:30-8:30 pm. 1:45pm-3:15 8:40-10
    🍫 ☕️? 4:30/5 8pm
    ☘️Yes❣️11, Yes❣️11, Yes❣️
    🛌 12:10 10:15 11:15
    📱(12:39)1:25⬆️. 11:50❣️❣️1:00
    💤1:25⬆️ 12:15❣️❣️1:00
    5:35 mask audio 6:30 same 7:30 same
    ⏰5hr55mins ⬇️ 8 Hours❣️❣️ 7hrs

Aug 14 was a success! Adding exercise time to see if earlier exercise works best.

Baby steps.
    * My phone #1

Other possibilities:
    * Evening meds
    * Dinner too late

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Ok! First 8 days done!

To work on this week:

🏋🏻‍♂️ 7:30-8:30 pm. 1:45pm-3:15 8:40-10 ? 2:15 7:30-9:30 PM ❌
    🍫 ☕️? 4:30/5 8pm 2 pm 4 pm
    ☘️Yes❣️11, Yes❣️11, None NO
    🛌 12:10 10:15 11:15 11:10 1:30
    📱(12:39)1:25⬆️. 11:50❣️❣️1:00 11:30 2:30 & middle of night
    💤1:25⬆️ 12:15❣️❣️1:00 11:30
    9:30!! 7:30
    ⏰5hr55mins ⬇️ 8 Hours❣️❣️ 7hrs 10 hrs 4 hrs

Insights:
    I seem to sleep well every other night
    exercising in AM helps me sleep better than evening workouts

Baby steps.
    * My phone #1

Other possibilities:
    * Evening meds (inconclusive since I take them every night & sleep varies!)
    * Dinner too late YES!!!
    * Decaf coffee/bit of choc is too much caffeine for me at 4pm? YES - cutting off at 3pm
    * Exercising too late in day YES

• TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,715 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm a new member (though not new to MFP and certainly not new to the world of weight loss!).
    I know it's over halfway through August already, but I'm jumping in anyway and hoping to make a small amount of progress with what's left of this month.

1. My goal for this month: This August I will move towards an intermittent fasting ratio of 14/10, with an aim to ultimately improve my insulin resistance.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal I will start my eating window at 10am and every few days move this window later, and will not eat after 9pm (so starting with a 13/11 ratio and gradually moving to a 14/10 ratio).
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit I will set reminders in my calendar for 10am & 8pm (moving along with my eating window.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) Daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? I will place a special sticker in my planner on the days that I stick to my eating window
    6. What help do you need from us? A little encouragement never goes astray!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of August? At the end of August, I would ideally have established the 14/10 IF ratio and be able to maintain it without too much reliance on the reminders in my calendar.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    @TwistedSassette Hi and welcome to the group! No problem with jumping in now. IF can be very helpful. I've been toying with the idea of having that be my Sept goal but I have SO many things to work on and I've gotten lots of good ideas here for goals that I can't decide. It sounds like you've got a good plan going for the rest of August🙂
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB, continuing to pray for you and your family. Take extra special care of yourself in whatever way that will help you best when you return home. "Sending" you encouragement to stay strong with your plan to log your food. Hugs to you 🌷.

Welcome @TwistedSassette, good for you for jumping right into the middle of August's "I Will.." ! I am so glad that you didn't wait for the next month to begin your intermittent fasting ratio goal. Your plan seems very attainable. I/we are looking forward to hearing about your progress.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My goal for this month:
    This August's I will: I will track my progress (again) of getting to sleep earlier, success will now be lights out by 11:00 PM.

I will use 😇 for lights out by 10 P.M, 🕚 for lights out by 11 P.M, after 11P.M. ❌.

(I am allowing one night a week(end) only if something special is going on so it won't trigger failure feelings.)

August 14: 🕚
    August 15: 🕚
    August 16: 😇
    August 17: 😇

🤠🌺
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I'm doing well with my goal of taking time every morning in my quiet studio to focus on my day and make a plan on paper. The problem is I don't always commit to what I plan so there are leftovers at the end of the day. I also write down too many things I want to accomplish...well, maybe if I just did them instead of procrastinate I might be able to get them done🙄. I've been listening to Mel Robbins and other inspirational Instagram messages and podcasts to get me going. It's helping me see things from a new perspective which is helpful. We create our destiny, for better or worse, with our daily habits. 🤔
  • 77tes
    Options
    @TwistedSassette , welcome to the group! Today is always a good day to start any new habit! :)

@texasgardnr, it looks like you are doing well with your goal of getting more sleep. 😴 Well done!

@nebslp, I’m so glad you are getting your quiet time. Don’t worry that your lists are too ambitious, just carry them over to the next day or the next week, or even decide that maybe that goal doesn’t need to be done at all. My daughter is a great one for journaling, especially bullet journaling, and one of the things she does regularly is migrate a goal that didn’t get completed to another day, etc. Also, you may get better about planning more achievable goals for the day, or breaking down overwhelming goals that lead to procrastination.
  • TwistedSassette
    Options
    @nebslp Thank you! I'm insulin resistant and I have been reading some clinical studies that showed while overall weight loss is similar to a traditional calorie-restriction diet, IF patients seemed to achieve better results in terms of insulin sensitivity so I figure it's worth a try at least.

@texasgardnr Thanks for the warm welcome :) This seems like such a supportive group!
    P.S. your sleep habit is one I need to work on as well, it looks like you're doing a great job building this habit!

@77tes Thank you, I'm glad to have a plan in place. I like planning, but accountability is always helpful.

My first day trying out IF was a bit of a bust, life with an 8-month old can be a little unpredictable. He decided a long nap was needed late in the day, so I got crunched for time and didn't manage to eat dinner early enough. Onward and upward today!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    AUGUST GOAL: This August I will move towards an intermittent fasting ratio of 14/10, with an aim to ultimately improve my insulin resistance. (Started 19/8)

19/8: :s - ate too late at night
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @TwistedSassette, truth be told: life with an 8-month old can be a LOT unpredictable. (Been there and done that x 4, many years ago 😄). Just do the best that you can and never give up. Every day is another opportunity for a start-over.

@nebslp, good for you for finding inspiring messages and podcasts. I do the same with podcasts and TED talks. I also like that we have such a wide opportunity nowadays to listen to different perspectives and ideas on many different subjects.
    You are so right about our daily habits!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My goal for this month:

August 14: 🕚
    August 15: 🕚
    August 16: 😇
    August 17: 😇
    August 18: 🕚

🤠🌺
  • TwistedSassette
    Options
    @texasgardnr that is wonderful advice, thank you! I'm lucky, my 8-month old always sleeps through the night and is just a generally happy and independent kid! It certainly made going back to work easier for me.

I need to remember that I'm a work in progress, and won't be perfect all the time (in fact, rarely)! I haven't managed to get my IF ratio right yet, but I can feel that I'm making progress and that makes me happy for now!

I've convinced my sister to re-join MFP as well, so we can motivate each other. Does anybody else have family on here? Any good tools you can recommend for us would be appreciated!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    AUGUST GOAL: This August I will move towards an intermittent fasting ratio of 14/10, with an aim to ultimately improve my insulin resistance. (Started 19/8)

19/8: :s - ate too late at night
    20/8: :s - ate too late at night
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    ]Ok! First 8 days done!

To work on this week:

🏋🏻‍♂️ 7:30-8:30 pm. 1:45pm-3:15 8:40-10 ? 2:15 7:30-9:30 PM ❌
    🍫 ☕️? 4:30/5 8pm 2 pm 4 pm
    ☘️Yes❣️11, Yes❣️11, None NO
    🛌 12:10 10:15 11:15 11:10 1:30
    📱(12:39)1:25⬆️. 11:50❣️❣️1:00 11:30 2:30 & middle of night
    💤1:25⬆️ 12:15❣️❣️1:00 11:30
    9:30!! 7:30
    ⏰5hr55mins ⬇️ 8 Hours❣️❣️ 7hrs 10 hrs 4 hrs

Insights:

Baby steps.
    * My phone #1

Other possibilities:
    * Dinner too late YES!!!
    * Decaf coffee/bit of choc is too much caffeine for me at 4pm? YES - cutting off at 3pm

Aug 18 - 8-9 hours sleep!!! So great!
    Aug 19 - midday heavy workout - slept NONE hours, breaking the good sleep:bad sleep cycle!

Aug 20 - off computer at 10:30. Updating MFP. On phone now lights out :)

BTW: I noticed I began sleeping better when the weather cooled down (esp at night!). Interesting
  • 77tes
    edited August 2019
    Options

I've convinced my sister to re-join MFP as well, so we can motivate each other. Does anybody else have family on here? Any good tools you can recommend for us would be appreciated!

My sister and I have been on MFP for 8 years. Throughout the years we have been in different groups. Some together, some not. We also meet a couple times per week in real life to workout. We both have Fitbits and do challenges with that. We are both in the Hogwarts/weight loss challenge here on MFP. It’s very motivating, but takes a lot time. We are each other’s biggest cheerleader and competitor. I hope you and your sister find MFP a great tool like we have.

@MadisonMolly2017 , I also sleep better when the weather is cool. But, that time has not arrived in my neck of the woods. 😵
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Ok! First 8 days done!

To work on this week:

Insights:

Baby steps.
    * My phone #1

Other possibilities:
    * Dinner too late YES!!!

Aug 18 - 8-9 hours sleep!!! So great!
    Aug 19 - midday heavy workout - slept NONE hours, breaking the good sleep:bad sleep cycle!

Aug 20 - off computer at 10:30. Updating MFP. On phone now lights out :) 11:56 finally actually got off phone around 12:30 and passed out, awoke twice before 1 with an overwhelming feeling of doom. Very odd. Sat up in dark, did some coloring on phone. Went back to sleep by 1:30
    Awoke 8:30
    7 Hours!!🎉
    I think this was caused by bigger than usual dinner out 5-8:30 & a busy day with secondary cataract laser surgery with some odd flutterings in my eye AND 25 mins of exercise 9-9:30 becausebusy rest of day. Very glad to be continuing to get 7hours.

BTW: I noticed I began sleeping better when the weather cooled down (esp at night!). Interesting

So early light dinner-snack
    Cool bedroom
    Dim lights 9:30 on
    No exercise after 6 pm except moderate walk
    No choc or decaf after 4 pm

I’m getting there!
  • 77tes
    Options
    Well, I’ve been challenging myself, but I think I need to change the challenge. I think I’ll go back to the beginning of this challenge. Even at Day One it was tougher than what I was doing last month.

15 - Yoga Fix Day 14 - Gentle Yoga with Pranayama 😌
    16 - Yoga Fix Day 15 - Balance - clearly I have not arrived at balance 🤪
    17 - Yoga Fix Day 16 - Full Body Stretch - not bad, but the splits are NOT happening
    18 - Yoga Fix Day 17 - Core - I had to modify a bit
    19 - Yoga Fix Day 18 - Yikes another HIIT yoga 🥵
    20 - Yoga Nidra - I was too busy and tired to do a more challenging routine
    21 - Yoga Fix Day 19 - Total Body with Hip openers - I think I’ve hit my limit . Many of the poses were beyond me