Getting back into keto but I have a physically demanding job. Help please

erikwillke
erikwillke Posts: 1 Member
A little backstory:

In July of 2017 I was 308 pounds and my wife and I started keto after meeting some friends of a friend who told us about it. After extensive online research I told my wife I thought it was safe to try. Six months later I had lost 88 pounds, she had lost 60 and we felt and looked great. That was December of 2017. Up to that point I was working full time on the road and we lived in our camper. Meal prep was easy and cheap. On top of that we didn't have any outside influence to derail us.

That December I was furloughed and we went to live with my parents. My mother is an amazing cook so we eventually fell off the wagon and fell hard. That was a year and a half ago and I'm back up to 260. We've tried to get back into Keto several times but we keep failing. I know what that is all about. We're just lazy when it comes to meal prep because of your schedules. That part I can fix. What follows is my real concern.

Prior to June I had a somewhat physical job. I was a contractor for the cable company and a satellite company so I was on my feet and up the ladder and crawling through attics and crawlspaces but I also had windshield time. Now I am a lineman. Very physically demanding. So much so that I suspect part of the weight I've put back on is muscle. climbing poles, pulling lines, lashers, et c. Some of the equipment we swing around manually weighs 80 pounds.

The trouble is whenever I try to get back into keto I get wiped out easily and that's not a good thing. I fully remember the journey through transition from the fist time and how long it took but I cannot do that here. My life and the lives of others can literally be at stake. My boss and co-workers keep telling me I need carbs to be able to keep up with the demands on my body. I believe that is true IF I'm in a carb lifestyle. I want to be in a Keto lifestyle again. Another thing I'm told is to take BCAAs to help my muscles recover.

My question is this: Is there a way to stay on top of my game while going through transition? We've never stopped taking our supplements. We take Magnesium, Potassium, super B complex, D3, Multi, fish oil, collagen, and Chromium.

I cannot, even for one day, not be able to perform at 100%. Is that possible while transitioning into ketosis? If not than I think I'll have to go Paleo. At least that will be better than the regular American diet.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Erik