Bok Choy and other asian greens
Chard, All colors
Chicory
Cilantro
Collard greens
Dandelion greens
Endive
Escarole
Kale, all types (curly,lacinto/dinosaur,red,etc)
Lettuce all types of deep green, bright green, and red-leaf
Mizuna
Mustard greens
Parsley
Radicchio
Radish leaves
Romaine lettuce
Spinach
Tatsoi
Turnip Greens
Watercress
Wheatgrass

Colored vegetables and fruits(3 cups daily)

Green
Artichoke
Asparagus
Avocado
Beans,green
Cabbage, green
Celery
Cucumber, with skin
Grapes, green
Green peas
Honeydew melon
Kiwi, green
Limes
Okra
Olives, green
Peppers, green
Snow peas
Sugar snap peas
Zucchini with skin

Red
Beets
Blood oranges
Cabbage, red
Cherries
Cranberries
Currants, red
Grapefruit, red
Grapes, red
Peppers, red
Raddichio
Raspberries, red
Rhubarb
Strawberries
Tomatoes, red
Watermelon

Higher carb
Pomegranate

Blue/Purple/Black
Aronia Berries
Blackberries
Blueberries
Currants,black
Eggplant
Elderberries
Grapes, black
Grapes, purple
Kale, purple
Olives, black
Plums
Raspberries, black

Higher carb
Dates
Dried currants
figs, purple
prunes
raisins

Yellow/Orange
Apricots
Carrots
Grapefruit
Kiwi, golden
Lemon
Mango
Muskmelon
Nectarines
Oranges
Papaya
Peaches
Peppers, orange and yellow
Pineapple
Pumpkin
Squash, summer and winter
Sweet potatoes
Tangerines
Tomatoes,yellow
yams

Higher Carb
Acorn Squash
Dried apricots, pineapples
Figs
Sweet potatoes, cooked

Sulfur-rich vegetables(3 cups daily)
Arugula
Asparagus
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Broccoli rasbe(rapini)
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Chives
Collard greens
Daikon
Garlic, all types
(two cloves = 1 serving)
Kale
Kohlrabi
Leeks
Mizuna
Mushrooms
Mustard greens
Leeks
Mizuna
Mushrooms
Mustard greens
Onions, red, yellow, and white
Radishes
Rutubagas
Scallions
Shallots
Tatsoi
Turnip greens
Turnips
Watercress

Starchy fruits not included in the 9 cups(white flesh)
Apple
Banana
Pear

Other white nonstarchy vegetables may be consumed after the 9 cups have been eaten:
Bamboo shoots
Cucumbers without skin
Jicama
Water chestnuts
Zucchini without skin

Sea vegetables/algae
Algae(serving - 1 teaspoon spirulina or chlorella or 1/2 teaspoon blue-green)
Blue-green algae
Chlorella
Spirulina
Seaweed(1 serving = 2.3 ounces fresh or reconstituted, 1 teaspoon flakes or 1/4 teaspoon powder)
Red
Dulse
Irish moss
Nori
Brown
Bladderwrack
Kelp
Kombu
Wakame
Green
Sea lettuce

Animal protein(organic if possible, wild or grass-fed, ideal)
Beef
Buffalo/Bison
Chicken
Duck
Elk
Fish, all kinds(salmon,tuna,cod,sardines,mackerel,tilapia,sea bass,herring,etc)
Lamb
Pork
Processed meat with no gluten, nitrates, or msg
Shellfish, all kinds(shrimp,crab,lobster,scallops)
Turkey
Veal
Venison,rabbit,pheasant,quail,and other wild game

Organ meat
Brain
Gizzard
Heart
Kidney
Liver
Sweetbreads
Tongue
Tripe

Omega-3 rich fish(16 ounces a week)
Anchovies
Clams
Halibut
Herring
Mackerel
Mussels
Oysters
Salmon
Sardines
Trout
Tuna (fresh)

I thought this should have a post of it's own.

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    This is very similar to my diet when I started eating whole foods.

I just called it my rainbow diet. I tried to keep my plates very colorful! Very balanced!

It worked, had dropped 80lbs (that had been gained during a bedridden spine injury) and maintained for over 10 years.

I love whole foods, especially organics!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    That was a pretty good diet and lucky if you weren’t paralyzed.I remember the eat the rainbow diet. I never followed it though. I barely ate veggies until after I got sick from too many antibiotics. My brother was the one who told me he adds peanut butter, stevia, and cocoa to the veggies to make them edible. Now I omit the peanut butter.
    I’m not going to get all the veggies everyday. I will continue to have full carnivore days at least every few days.

Oops, I have a few duplicates in the list.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could fit 9 cups of veggies/fruit in a day. I think it would mostly end up being sea veggie servings for me. Too much bulk, otherwise. I usually get about 5 cups of veg a day (more if I'm cooking fresh spinach or mushrooms (I might be able to do 9 in that case, lol)
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    @TheDevastator

I was using a walker... A little over a year of physical therapy and chiropractors, both chiropractors and doctors told me I'd never really be able to walk again, and I needed to get used to and accept my limited quality of life and limited movement.

Decided to try acupuncture... Skeptical, but what did I have to lose?

He said he would fix me in 5 weeks. 4 1/2 weeks later... He said, "Okay, you fixed, no more appointment."

By the 4th week, I was walking, jogging, dancing, skating, playing volleyball and tennis again... That was a long time ago.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    I think you have to work up to 9 cups. I doubt most people are used to that much in the beginning of the diet.

I know a few people that swear by acupuncture as well for other issues. It must have been a great feeling to get that mobility back.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I don't think I could fit 9 cups of veggies/fruit in a day. I think it would mostly end up being sea veggie servings for me. Too much bulk, otherwise. I usually get about 5 cups of veg a day (more if I'm cooking fresh spinach or mushrooms (I might be able to do 9 in that case, lol)

I could easily do 9 cups of veggies if I was in a position to grow my own again, but I can't afford to buy that much fresh produce so I tend to stick to canned or frozen things and a lot of salad type stuff. I routinely eat entire cans of green beans or spinach and use entire sacks of hearts of Romaine in a single sitting. I love my green veggies.

Fruits I do sparingly and only the ultra low sugar type stuff like berries and only every so often. The fruits I do enjoy I really can't eat without blowing my macros all to heck. :neutral:

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I didn't realize others on here were interested in Wahls, too; cool. Thanks for starting a thread. :)

And yes, she does recommend working up to the 9 cups if needed. (I've read the book.) And she has three different levels: Wahls Diet, Wahls Paleo, Wahls Paleo Plus. For me right now I'm leaning toward Wahls Diet range (the least strict) though I may add more of the nutrients from the other levels and I'll see how it goes. So far so good. :)

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I usually only eat OMAD (plus a snack sometimes) and I eat off a 12 inch plate - One plate only, with 100g plain Greek yogourt for dessert and tummy is full. Not deprived in any way, but definitely not able to pile 9 c of veg on that plate or put it in my tummy at one time. A lot of my food is more nutrient dense in a small package.

Just got to thinking maybe they mean 9 servings (and not cups)of veg.... and most servings are not 1 cup... ie. 2 garlic cloves = 1 serving. In that case I probably do fit in 9 servings of veg in a day.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    Carrots, onions, cilantro, and cabbage are cheap for fresh here. Those are what I stick to mostly.

No problem, I hope the thread will be some use to people. I’d like to get a lot of veggies in a day but I also like carnivore/meat based eating.

No they mean 9 cups for most of the veggies, actually 12 cups if you have raw leafy greens. Garlic was one of the exceptions since I don’t think many people would tolerate having a whole cup of raw garlic. I think getting enough protein and fat is more important than that many veggies.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Carrots, onions, cilantro, and cabbage are cheap for fresh here. Those are what I stick to mostly.

Gotta watch those carrots, they're pretty high in carbs. I cut them out of my diet completely. Onions can be up there too depending on the variety. I eat 'em, but sparingly on my salads and occasionally paired with meat. But I measure everything closely so I don't blow my carbs up by too much.

• Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    I can eat 3-5 cups of leafy greens in one salad..My salads aren't exactly normal. I embarrass whoever goes with me to a salad bar, lol.

Mile high salad of every veggie/fruit offered (squash, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, mushrooms, olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, sprouts, peas, etc).

And it's hard to be lady-like when eating a huge salad, ;)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's 9 cups. She developed this for people with autoimmune issues, especially MS, so that's where some of the specific recommendations come from. https://terrywahls.com/about-the-wahls-protocol/