Recipe

Options
ArtemisRuns
ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
I am a chicken fiend, because it is a delicious source of lean protein. However it can get kind of bland after a while. Here is a recipe for Citrus Grilled Chicken:

Marinade:

Juice and zest of 2 oranges
Juice and zest of 2 lemons
1/2 c of olive oil
1/2 c of sweetened lime juice (the kind you use to mix cocktails)
salt and pepper
whatever fresh herbs you have on hand, rosemary and thyme are fantastic

Take a whole bird and using kitchen shears, cut it up the middle of the breastbone so you have two halves.

Marinade the chicken in a large tub for 4 - 12 hours.

Grill over charcoal. In the oven works (kind of) but to get the real flavor you need the grill. Gas grill....meh. You want the smokiness of charcoal or wood. Grill over indirect heat for about 2 hours, basting the chicken in the marinade and creating a delectable crispy skin.

This amount of marinade will do 2 whole chickens (4 halves). This freezes very well. If you have a food saver, vacuum pack that bad boy. When you want to have it on a workday, pull it out of the freezer before work and put in a large bowl of cold water in the fridge. By the time you get home from work all you have to do is warm that bad boy up (microwave even works). YUMMMMMMMMYYYYYYY

We NEVER get tired of having this every week. Sometimes twice a week. The meat can be used for salads, wraps, etc. It is so flavorful and the olive oil helps seal in the juices.

Let me know how you like it! My hubby and I developed this recipe.
-Christy

Replies

• mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    omg that looks good. that's fabulous- i usually roast a chicken a couple of times a month and i was getting a little bored. (hubby keeps complaining that he's growing feathers.)