Something To Chase?

Options
whathapnd
whathapnd Posts: 1,235 Member
I've been thinking about the WW GOAD board and how much I (eventually) appreciated the pre-set option of posting our starting weight/current weight/goal weight under our avatar. I started at 189 and didn't post until I got to 179, but I remember silently celebrating when I would weigh less than others who were at their goal weight. This was 100% about me weighing less than a group of men at their goal weight versus a competition. I briefly spent some time at 144, but I comfortably maintained 152 for a couple of years.

I'm pretty sure my order of "achievement" was:

Charlie (CREWAHL)
George (88OLDS)
Al from Vancouver (YVRALFREDO)
Bob (Podkey)
Tall Steve (Shendler)

Having something to chase made losing weight kind of a game and therefore fun. So, if there are any folks on this board sitting around 170, I want you to know, I'm currently trying to reach you. 😁

Anybody else enjoy chasing something or have any other ways you try to make weight loss fun?

Replies

• steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I used to have a fun competition with Cindy (Mamacin). We both bounced in the 120's-130's range. Now I am running at around 136-137, but would like to get back down to 130 even.

I used to also play games around running. In particular for a couple of years I paid attention to my total yearly mileage. I haven't run that much in a number of years, but that was a somewhat motivating factor for me back then. Now I just try to get out 3x/week, just 3 miles each run) and call that good-enough.

My wife and I sometimes joke about our heart-rates. She accompanies me when I have a medical procedure and while I'm hooked up to the heart-rate monitor, I try to see if I can get myself mellow-enough to set off the alarms (they're usually set at around 50 bpm). I can often do it, but then we start laughing and my HR pops back up again.
  • whathapnd
    Options
    Ha! I forgot you and Cindy used to compete. I now remember that when I got to 144, I had thoughts of reaching you, but then you started losing again. Maybe a future goal will be trying not to weigh more than 15lbs of your weight.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    My WW GW was 184 lbs.

Now I consider my GW to be 170. I fell off the WW program aka quit, after Hurricane Irma. That was just about 2 years ago.
    I was about 178 lbs then.

We’re heading to Chicago for a visit and I’m thinking that I may want to get back in the WW system. If we move from Key West to the mainland, I think I may want to take a shot at ML.

I don’t know what has has to do with your post whathapnd, but it’s been on my mind.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    Oh you aren't that far from me now. I miss CREWAHL and YVRALFREDO. We had a meet up with Al in the PacNW one time. Yup luved Steve and Cindy competing.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,532 Member
    Options
    My those are some names from the past that are missed. I never thought about this as too competitively. I had my hands full trying to get to goal. I think behaviors were more inspiring or motivating. I got almost 50lbs to lose again to get back to 170, a weight a neurosurgeon said he would like to see me stabilize at. My primary care Dr is looking for 15 more. I got a good year or so to go before I half to decide so keep a seat warm in room 170. I will get there in good time.
  • whathapnd
    Options
    For those of you who weigh 170, I caught up with you today.😊
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Woo HOO! Congratulations!
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I didn't compete with Charlie (CREWAHL)
    George (88OLDS)
    But I distinctively remember seeing how much weight I believe over 100 lbs these guys lost and how it inspired me to lose my 100 lbs but I needed to lose another 100 lbs beyond that. It was disappointing when Charlie disappeared and not sure he ever knew what an inspiration he had on my thought process. George of course your still here encouraging me on. I now have 150 lbs + to lose. I will make it.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    @88olds

My GW was also set at 184, I wanted to get below my High School football days Weight (5’ 9”)

My PCP suggestion was 179 so I set that in my mind and keeps me a five pound cushion. I also lost an inch in height :angry:

The SW/CW/GW was a reminder and also should me other GoaDies who had succeeded.

Early early on (2013-14?) I learned a lot from @Shendler and @steve0mania and made it a challenge to take it out to learn about LTL. No competition but definitely strong opinions and no holding back. Many newbies would “flounce” LOL.

My goal now is to never go over GW. The daily weekly reminder to see GoaD keeps me aware of how easy it is to gain 2 or 3 pounds.

• whathapnd
    Options
    I thought about this old post today after Charlie posted his daily weights for the past week.

FWIW Charlie, I'm currently chasing you. It'll be awhile, but I thought you should know. 😁
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,798 Member
    Options
    I’d be happy to share the 170's neighborhood with you, even if you’re only renting. 😊

Yeah, I did have my little sojourn in the wilderness from about 8/14 to 2/20, and I regained almost 2/3 of what I’d lost. It seemed hypocritical to be posting here as if I was one type of person when I was acting like someone else IRL. “Humbling” is a polite way to say it.

When Covid hit it was apparent early on that it was taking the elderly, the infirm, and the overweight - and it wasn’t making it a pleasant journey. I concluded I couldn’t do anything about my age, but I could impact the other two. That puts me in the minority of people who actual lost weight during Covid.

And I wandered back to GoaD, but not until I had enough miles 9n my retread journey that I believed I was gonna stick with it.
  • whathapnd
    Options
    I'm a slow loser even when I'm being strict and diligent. Not to impose a time limit or anything ('cause we all know weight loss isn't linear), but I'll be happy if I start renting in the 170s in August. If it's sooner than that, I'll be throwing one heck of a housewarming party. All are invited.